Format: HardcoverChange

on 19 June 2014
Louise's combination of memoir and recipes mean you actually can make the stunning cakes pictured. It is fascinating in its history + reminiscence sections and the instructions are clear. My first results didn't look quite as neat as the picture, but, unlike some recipes, it clearly would be possible with practice and kind lighting. And it certainly tasted excellent. Definitely no leftovers! The scale of baking, as a business is, shown in no uncertain terms in the Notes on Ingredients at the end. And who knew that demerara sugar is not brown sugar at ll, but coloured white sugar!
on 23 January 2015
This is the most beautifully written and laid out book. I absolutely loved all aspects of it - really unique and brings the biographical to life through food and the food to such a reality that you can almost taste those delicious cakes through the stories behind them. I immediately sent a copy to a friend just after I'd finished it - I wouldn't part with my copy but, like a good bit of baking, I did want to share it.
on 4 May 2014
This book is packed with delicious 'tea shop' recipes which I found easy to make and a success! (Cooking is not my strong point!) A lovely story incorporated with the recipes about Louise's father, Peter, the baker and all family. I would recommend this book to amateur to professional cooks or anyone who would love to reminisce about the high street traditional tea shops that have sadly died away.
on 27 January 2015
Oh how I love this book !!!! It's absorbing both the recipes ,the stories behind the recipes,she talks fondly of her father and has some wonderful memories locked away in this book ,wonderfully set out ,gorgeous pictures and tells you the history behind the cafe i got it on kindle but I might just buy hard copy .....just don't tell the kids I'm supposed to be cutting down lol
on 14 May 2014
A beautifully well written book... Louise takes you on a journey of her life that evokes wonderful memories of being a child in a tea shop and all the associated smells and sights, which as an adult reading the book brings back very fond memories of that era.
The recipes are easy to follow and if i am honest i cannot wait to get started! Especially the animal biscuits!
on 24 July 2014
I bought this for my wife and she is thrilled with it. She likes the idea that the recipes were actually made in a tea shop. She has made the strawberry tarts and they were fantastic. It is a nice mix of story and recipes. Would certainly recommend the book and the seller.
on 25 September 2014
I bought this for my wife as it was recommended by a friend. This really is a charming book, with lots of wonderful recipes and notes from the author about her father and their family business as bakers, really superbly written. Highly recommended.
on 27 September 2015
I loved and visited Peter's in Weybridge, Surrey for many years - as a child, teenager, and later on with my own children. Lovely recipes, and nostalgic photos. Thanks so much to Louise for writing this and sharing her family photos.
on 26 June 2014
These recipes are great, they are from the days when baking was done by the individual bakers and at home. The recipes took one back to the days of childhood, and appear to be ideal for reproducing the baked items at home.
on 1 October 2014
What a delightful book. Very nostalgic, it took us right back through two generations who knew and loved Peter's Teashop. Looking forward to trying our hand at the Traffic Light Biscuit recipe - a family favourite!