5.0 out of 5 stars i love this book
I love this book: its just what baking should be: warming, wholesome and comforting. it takes us back to a longed for age when baking was about happy times making tempting treats, rather than high pressure competitions. The recipes do not seem daunting like so many baking recipes, and the writing of family times and Louise's love and admiration for her dad bought a tear...
Published 7 months ago by maxine fox

3.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes-not enough pictures.
I had heard about this book from the radio and it seemed like something my wife would like as she is a keen baker. She really likes the book in many ways but feels it does not contain enough pictures. She like to see what the finished effect of a recipe is and unfortunately this is a bit lacking.
Published 1 month ago by Mr. Robert Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Affectionate story- great cakebook!, 18 Mar 2014
S. E. Rolfe "sooz16" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Baker's Daughter: Timeless recipes from four generations of bakers (Hardcover)
This is a fabulous book combining cake-making and personal family stories written as a tribute to the authors father who was a professional cake-maker and pastry-maker. The love and affection the author has for her father is touching and draws the reader in, making her father's recipes all the more appealing. It has certainly inspired me to work my way through the book and try out the recipes.
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching, well written and interesting book about baking, 18 Mar 2014
The Baker's Daughter is a beautiful book about Louise and her relationship with her father before he dies, about a family of bakers, and a love story - both of the family and the cakes, savouries and chocolates they make. Having grown up in Weybridge and knowing 'Peters', this book was gave a touching insight into the family and their history. The story is beautifully interwoven with Peter's traditional recipes, each one illustrated and brought to life with little anecdotes about the cakes, the shop, the family and the colourful customers and staff. I really enjoyed the way the book was crafted, both the words and the recipes, with little hints and tips. The photographs and family memorabilia makes it more like a personal family album. Thoroughly enjoyable book with excellent cakes to bake! Having enjoyed my copy, I have bought 3 more to give to my family and friends as presents.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book to bring back lovely memories, 31 Aug 2014
I absolutely love this book. I originally borrowed it from my local library and decided I had to buy it. It transported me right back to my own child hood with great memories of our local bakery in the north east and all the special treats bought by my mam and nana in those white boxes tied with string. They were very carefully taken home and enjoyed with a cup of tea. The recipes are spot on and we've really enjoyed sending our taste buds down memory lane. I've had a great time making cakes with my own daughter (Coffee and walnut is a must) and the story of this family is such a lovely one it's a great read on it's own even if you don't bake anything (bet you do though). Amazon delivered very prompty and my only complaint is that I've probably gained a couple of pounds since buying it. I would urge anyone who loves baking or is even slightly interested to buy this book you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS RECIPES IN A BEATIFULLY PRESENTED BOOK, 30 July 2014
This book arrived today and I love it already.....it reminds me of the cakes my mum used to buy from the bakers when I was a young girl. I cant wait to bake the apple cake, farmhouse fruitcake and cream slices.....all of which will take me back to memories of childhood. I have yet to read it thoroughly...im saving that pleasure for my journey home this evening but the parts I have read are so beautiful. Its lovely to read the little notes after each recipe and to read the family history.

If you love recipe books as I do and enjoy 'proper' old fashioned recipes then I highly recommend. Beautifully written, lovely pictures and great tips. I cant wait to start baking.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book written with love and passion., 16 Sep 2014
I heard the author talking about this book on the radio. She spoke with such passion for the subject that I knew the book would be good. The author lost her father the same year as I lost mine. My Dad was a fairly competent home baker so the story struck a chord with me. This book stands as a great tribute to the authors father. I would have given it five stars but for the fact the title made me expect more bread based recipes. Having said that I can't wait to try some of the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baking with LOVE, 20 Sep 2014
As soon as I touched the beautiful cover of this unique cookery book, I was in love with it. It's such a new experience to have a baking book weave personal stories along with well thought out recipes of scrumptious cakes. It had me in tears from the first paragraph. Baking is love. And that is what this book feels like to me. Even the pages have gorgeous texture, luring you in, making you feel like you are getting a glimpse of how it must have been like, growing up in that cafe, surrounded by cakes, savoury toast and wrapped in love.
Anyone can write a baking book. But Louise Johncox truly makes me want to actually bake, and her recipes are simple to follow, they're humble everyday kind of recipes. Cakes & biscuits/cookies that make you feel confident you can manage to do yourself. My favourite so far are the flourentines. SO YUMMY! The kids love baking from this book too, I think because the photographs look so real, and not so perfect that we loose our confidence. If you know someone who loves or is keen on baking and who also enjoy great stories, give them this book. This is a memoir (I don't think the last reviewer on here read the cover!) so you get stories with the recipes. But that's why I enjoy it. Baking, with love.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great cookery book, 16 May 2014
The stories are fab, recipes easy to follow, a book you will go back to time and time again.
If you love to bake this book is a must for your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely to read, as well as to cook from., 14 May 2014
J. Savage (Surbiton, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the loveliest baking book I own, for the gorgeous look of it, the fascinating family history that runs through it, and for being full recipes that I really want to try. I must admit that I do know the author, but I really feel I would have written this same review regardless. I've already made several things from it; the chocolate crunch, lemon drizzle cake, Welsh rarebit, rabbit biscuits and the loaf of bread. All have turned out wonderfully. There is something about the way the book is written that makes even the most complicated cake sound utterly achievable. The apple cake is crying out to be made (it looks like one my mum used to make), and I even feel I could have a go at the battenburg cake and the Belgian buns. I could go on and on. There are sweet cakes and biscuits and savoury recipes too.

It's a beautiful book from start to finish, and is enough to make you very nostalgic for tea shops as they used to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories are made of this!, 24 April 2014
I ordered myself this book as an Easter present. Within the first few pages I was back to my childhood. Not only sharing names with the author but the recipes - although my father baked the recipes her mother baked and vice versa. Cannot wait to find time to go back to my childhood tastes and memories. A beautifully presented of book memories, photographs and recipes from a baking family.

5.0 out of 5 stars It took me back in time., 23 April 2014
I am loving this book - with the old school no fuss recipes and the beautiful story that run's along side it. Louise really opened her heart and gave a true glimpse of what it would be like to grow up in and around a tea shop, as a bakers daughter. I think this book would make a lovely gift.

The Baker's Daughter: Timeless recipes from four generations of bakers