4.3 out of 5 stars1,780
Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 October 2014
Brilliant book. Read it after seeing the film and it filled in a lot of the gaps that the film didn't have time to cover. Would definitely recommend this book, as I couldn't 'put it down' once I started it.
on 2 August 2014
Having watched the film, it was nice to learn the story from Michael's perspective
How very sad that the same Nuns saw both mother and child and could not link them together to bring peace to them both
on 28 February 2014
What a sad story. It was so interesting I couldn't put it down. It's such a shame that Philomena and many others that found themselves in similar situations had to go through this torture for so many years.
on 13 January 2014
Heart breaking story, especially as its true and not unique .I know the story was from Michaels(Anthonys) viewpoint but got a bit laboured half way through and I would have liked more of Philomanas story .
on 29 December 2014
I thought I knew what this story was about and roughly how it would end, I was wrong, it ended with me in tears.A story that should make everyone challenge any institutions, on either side of the Atlantic.
on 20 April 2014
Bought this after reading about the film but it is boringly awful. Much of it must surely be pure fiction as the author never met the guy in question and how can anyone know what a child relocated from Ireland to the States would be thinking? I gave up when the book turned into an exploration of gay issues (not that I'm homophobic) but again because he was trying to delve inside someone else's mind. How much of the book is based on reality and what actually happened is open to question. I was going to buy the film DVD but after trying this book which it is based on I don't think I'll bother!
on 8 June 2015
I thought the book would be about the mother searching for her son and was a bit disappointed that there was not more about Philomena herself. Basically the story was all about Anthony until the very end.
on 6 May 2014
This was a lovely read, a lovely account of a mothers troubles back in the day! Would recommend as a lovely holiday read as it's easy to pick up and put down !
I gave it star rating for entertainment
on 13 March 2014
Fantastic book, sorry i missed the film. The reader is captured from page one. Beautifully written the story being told through the eyes of the adopted boy. And such a sad ending. Well worth the read.
on 4 March 2014
It's a brilliant book and knowing that it's based on a true event make it so much easier to relate to because it's true and not just made up I would defindlly advice you to ready this it truly is worth it