on 1 January 2014
Great book by Ricky Hatton. I was a bit dubious buying this book as I knew about the problems he was facing out side the ring I really did not want to remember Hatton for the way his career ended and the problems he had to face there after. I glad the book ends with him managing to find some peace, yes his trials and tribulations are ongoing and he will need to fight his demons on a daily biases, but he seem to be in a better and better equipped to deal with them.

If you read Ricky's first book The Hitman the first 100 pages are a condensed version of that book. Starting with Ricky's start in training and boxing. Unlike his frist book which started and finished with everything was going great in his life. War and Peace, as the name implies, deals with Hatton having to deal with losses for the first time in his career, the coming to terms with life after boxing, going off the rails in his personal life, and the fall out of all that. The people who stuck by him anf the ones who distanced themselves from him.

Even is you are not a Hatton fan but a boxing fan, you would still enjoy this book because Ricky brings all his skill including his sports commentary chop he picked up during his time doing analysis on Sky sports. Ricky does a superb job of his analysing his own fights, I honestly believe you cannot get better analyst than a boxer talking about boxing. Ricky's honesty about his fights and his opponents, I think his commentary was spot on.

This brings us to the Mayweather fight. I am impressed with the way Hatton is very complimentary of Mayweather's boxing skill, even though he cannot stand him as a person. I agree completely with Ricky about the ref, he does not make excuses for losing, but I do belive it would have been a very different fight if a different ref was asigned. For people who dod not see the fight. Explain to me how Mayweather was alowed to crawl on the floor but Hatton was cautioned? Or Mayweather jumped out of the ring over the top rope but Hatton had a point taken off for this.

I good book it is always nice to have the greats leaves a sport like boxing with more than he came in with. Too many time we hear stories of boxers broken down mentally, physicality, and financially. Unfortunately Hattons worst losses were outside the ring, but it is good to know he is dealing with them and in a good place for now. Go no Ricky.
on 15 October 2013
A very honest and interesting account of Ricky's career and life, from his amateur days to the Senchenko fight.
A must have for any boxing fan.
on 13 October 2013
What a book. This book takes the bits of Rickys life with unbelievable honestyand deserves to be read by more than boxing fans. Great book
on 9 January 2014
An absolute must read for any fan of Ricky Hatton and boxing in general. Ricky comes across with what seems like a No Holds Barred attitude to the portrayal of his life. Much like his fighting career it is direct, hard hitting and raw at times. I was always a massive fan of Ricky's (still am) so maybe he was already preaching to the converted but I think he has been so very brave with his honesty about some of his darker moments and the troubles with his family. You will be treated to a fair amount of the great sense of humor that has been part and parcel with Ricky throughout. A true legend.
on 12 October 2013
A very honest book no punches spared all out truth happy he has shared his journey with us top read
on 12 October 2013
I've gladly rated this book 5 stars as any book that keeps my attention for a whole day must be worth reading.
I couldn't put this book down until I'd finished it, it's starts off with an in depth insight into Ricky's early days as a keen armature doing whatever it takes to learn how to reach the very top of his game.
I like how the book was built up year by year which left you feeling like you we're almost part of the journey.
They are some sad points in the book but I suppose that means no stone has been left unturned.
You could say that by his early 30's Ricky had been through a lot in life but I'd like to see as by his early 30's he'd done a lot in life.
The book leaves you on a high and happy with the knowledge that there are still many many fantastic things to come form Ricky.
Very down to earth, reveal all type book that is without doubt worth your time weather your into boxing or not.
on 1 January 2014
War and Peace initially takes us through Ricky Hatton's life in boxing.About 80% of the book tells of Ricky's first steps into the ring right up until his comeback fight in 2012 when he's honest enough to tell us he realised that he just "didn't have it" any more and retired.I read a lot of boxing books and Ricky's follows the usual formula where any losses were always the fault of the Referee,his Trainer,illness etc,anything but admit the other guy was a better fighter.I'm not being overly critical here as just about every other Boxer I've read about has gone down the same route and not just in print,Davd Haye's poorly toe leaps to mind. Hatton does however tend to chop and change and after excuses he does sometimes say a few pages later that he was beaten by a better fighter.There's no shame in losing to fighters like Mayweather and Pacquiao but we get Hatton's version of the fights rather than what many fight fans will remember seeing. I'm used to this from just about every other boxing autobiography I've ever read so it wasn't a big deal and it is after all Ricky's book,his version of events.
Also Ricky's version are the last few chapters where he very bravely details the black days when his personal demons took over and cost him so much.Around this time relations with his family implode and throughout the book he falls out with all kinds of people,often people who had been very close friends previously.I applaud Hatton's honesty but he does seem to fall out with a lot of people he'd been close to and we only ever get to hear his side of the story which invariably tells us of the bad behaviour of others but not why they might suddenly behave like that,not least his formerly very close family.I do understand the laws of libel etc have to be considered but while it's very brave of Ricky to tell us the things he has I did get the feeling there was as much about certain events we were not being told.
I'm not trashing the book,I actually enjoyed it enough to read it cover to cover in a day,which I hadn't intended to do when I picked it up.Hatton comes across as a decent bloke who achieved great things in the ring.I really felt for the bloke when he bravely spoke about his depression,the drink ,the drugs and the News of the World story that I won't dignify by repeating here.I did however think,"Come on Ricky,we're not getting the full story here" as his ever growing list of people he'd had major fallings out with stretched to include most of his family.To a degree the book was a victim of Ricky's openness as it was this having me think there was a bit more to a lot of his stories.
Having said that it's a great read,flows well and Ricky Hatton comes across a very honest and open bloke.Like every other when he lost he was robbed,when he won it was because of his own brilliance but it's his story,his book and that's par for the course.
If I could I'd give it 4 and a half,on finishing the book I was left with the feeling that Ricky was a great guy who could handle fame and celebrity a lot easier than relationships.
on 1 January 2014
Good insight into Ricky's life. Just a normal boy who worked his way to the top of the boxing world. Ups and downs like everyone else. Must read for boxing fans.
on 7 January 2014
Bought for my husband as part of his xmas present. He thoroughly enjoyed the book as he is a Ricky Hatton fan and although he already knows quite a bit about Ricky's life it is always good to hear it from the person themselves. An honest and frank book about Ricky Hatton's life so far.
on 28 April 2014
In this, book , Ricky tells the story of his career and for those that travelled and followed him this book is a great way of recalling your own great memories . I was fortunate enough to be there when he beat kostya tszyu with 2 mates . And for all the euphoria of that night I can remember walking back to Piccadilly station in near silence totally worn out with the emotion the adrenaline low that was now kicking in .having watched one of the greatest nights in British boxing you just knew nights like these were not to be repeated . And that can be said of many of Ricky,s fights many of which I experienced first hand . For me he should be sorry for nothing , apologise to no one , for us fans owe him a debt of gratitude , for great nights ,great fights and great memories .. . Thanks Ricky