5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for pre-schoolers
Published 14 months ago by RayG

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun for boys and girls
Julia Donaldson is always reliable, and Sugarlump and the Unicorn is no exception. My son and daughter loved this book, though neither were particularly interested in the use of glitter.

Published 14 months ago by P M Buchan

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for pre-schoolers, 17 Sep 2013
RayG - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our son already has 'What the Ladybird Heard' so I was really excited to get my hands on this for him. I was worried it might be a bit 'girly' with all the glitter, but for pre-schoolers I think it's just perfect, as it's brightly coloured fun glitter rather than pink princessy glitter. A great story, with Julia Donaldson's fantastic rhyming style. A really great book for your child's collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Sep 2013
Ms. M. Cheung (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another great book from Julia Donaldson. Sugarlump and the Unicorn is really bright and colourful, with glitter thrown in too. The rhymes are sublime, as always, and the story was really interesting and captivated my kids' attention without any problem. Really pretty, and really good fun to read - at the end of the book my kids immediately demanded that I read it again. (I told them to read it themselves when they wanted me to read it a third time!)

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 year old loves it, very cute story, 28 Feb 2014
Another smashing book from Julia Donaldson, in the same vein as What The Ladybird Heard and The Signing Mermaid, it's got the same illustrator (different to other Donaldson books such as The Gruffalo but just as sweet). My child is a boy but loves it none the less, so don't worry if you're buying for a boy. Glitter on the page, colourful images and a sweet rhyming story that's easy to engage with a makes a lovely bedtime tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful!, 17 Oct 2013
Mrs. Alison Taylor (Grantham, Lincs, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this book for my Grandson who is obsessed with Unicorns. Although it is "sparkly" and some people may think it is aimed at little girls, I have to say my grandson loved it. Beautifully illustrated and excellent quality, I would recommend this for any young girl or boy. Ideal Christmas present!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun for boys and girls, 17 Sep 2013
P M Buchan "P M Buchan" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Both kids loved the presence of horses and unicorns in the book, and accepted the plot without question, but I did wonder as I read it why Sugarlump eventually settles with what she's given at the end of the book. Not that children's stories *have* to make sense, but the ending seemed a little odd to me.

I'd say that Julia Donaldson and Lydia Monks' best book together is The Rhyming Rabbit. Buy that before you buy Sugarlump and the Unicorn, but if you enjoy it then by all means buy this one too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 1 Sep 2013
Amazon Customer "Naomi" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughter loves this book. The glitter on every page catches her eye every time and she spends ages looking through every page just fascinated with the colours and the glitter.

Pictures are beautifully drawn and the story in itself I love the hidden moral in the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Child'sDelight, 26 April 2014
My 5 year old granddaughter was thrilled by this book for her birthday.

Especially as her teacher read it at school.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sugarlump and the Unicorn, 6 Feb 2014
Excellent story, Julia Donaldson is an excellent author for children, we read to our 3 year old boy at bedtime and as adults enjoy reading the story too with wonderful illustration. Would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter's favourite book, 11 Jan 2014
A lovely story and gorgeous illustrations. My little girl loves reading about the adventures of Sugarlump and how he becomes a happy horse with the help of the Unicorn. A must for little Julia Donaldson fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glittery and a great present idea, 1 Oct 2013
S. A. Broadhurst "SBroadhurst" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The latest release by Julia Donaldson, popular author of, among others, The Gruffalo, What the Ladybird Heard, Sharing the Shell.

This book would make a beautiful gift this Christmas or as a birthday present. It is a special book with the addition of glitter to every page, making every illustration by the fantastic Lydia Monks sparkle and shine. The illustrations are a combination of hand drawn illustrations which are combined with photographic images of 'textures' (e.g. the sheep's fleece, the hedge's leaves).

The story is written in rhyme, which children adore and includes Donaldson's famous 'choruses' which children quickly learn and can recite throughout the story.

I will admit that when I first saw the book I immediately thought it was a book that would appeal to only girls - with its feminine colours and girly theme of unicorns, however as soon as I started to read it I found that the book was definitely one which boys and girls will enjoy and will soon become a story-time favourite. Perfect for a bedtime tale or a story-time read both at home or at school or nursery.

The glitter is encapsulated on the page, meaning that readers are not left sparkling all day long (although that wouldn't be a bad thing) and that the book can be enjoyed for years to come.

The story is one full of fantasy and childhood dreams, and will be enjoyed by both girls and boys. It is another of Donaldson's fantastic children's books which is a must have addition to any child's library or book shelf.

Sugarlump and the Unicorn
Sugarlump and the Unicorn by Julia Donaldson (Paperback - 24 April 2014)