Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 November 2014
Had to persevere for a while until I got gripped by the story. The main character is very complex and difficult to understand at first, but it is worth it in the end. The writer cleverly feeds you with small pieces of information until you finally get the whole picture.
on 22 May 2014
I found the book a disappointment. It is an interesting story in an unusual setting but the English style is so jejune that it was a labour of love to read to the end. The characters seemed lifeless and 2-dimensional and the dialogue was stilted. It conveyed very little sense of the unique landscape of Iceland or the passing of the seasons with the contrast between prolonged periods of darkness during winter and the interminable summer days and the effect this had on daily life of the family and other characters. It gives no real insight into the unique cultural background to the events, in particular to the important role that religion played in Icelandic society at the time. It is difficult to avoid the conclusion that if it were not for the sensational nature of the murder and the execution the book would never have seen the light of day.
on 30 October 2014
Good book easy to read. Needed to read for book club and was not a title I would usually choose. However it was thought provoking and led me to do some research into Iceland in the 1800s.No pictures on screen version of course but I enjoyed researching on the web.
on 13 January 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this book which is based on true events and furnished with historical documents. The harsh Icelandic landscape and weather are described beautifully and the characters are fully formed. The story is tragic and emotions run deep throughout.
on 12 April 2014
This was a bookclub choice but I probably chosen this myself. Based on a true story but I didn't know this when I started the read. I enjoyed the descriptions of the way of life in early 19th century Iceland, very harsh and often brutal for the working class.
on 13 September 2014
This is a book you have to persist with to get into, but it is really worth it. Hannah Kent recreates the historical period in Iceland so you feel as if you are there and the characters worm themselves into your mind so you really care what happens to them.
on 24 April 2014
Strangely life affirming, thanks to characters who remind us that right and wrong are more complex than black and white, and that we can always reach out and find humanity even when the future is bleak. Beautifully written, I look forward to her next novel.
on 22 May 2014
Really powerful and intimate writing.
Also the evocation of the landscape, household and way of life (very stark) was amazingly detailed.
Perhaps not the easiest (lightest) read - but this has had a profound impact on me. I fully recommend it.
on 9 June 2015
Dismal and depressing, not written in an engaging style
on 3 March 2014
Having visited Iceland and read the Sunday Times review, I had to read it. It was better than expected. Beautiful sparse prose with superb imagery. Although I knew what was coming, I wanted the outcome to be different because I liked Agnes.