5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read
My first Kerry Wilkinson book..I was tempted by the 99p Kindle price. But I have to say that this book is worth 10 times that. Wonderful story telling, beautifully constructed characters and although it wasn't too difficult to identify the serial killer midway through the book, it didn't detract in any way from the excitement.
This author is a real find for me and as...
Published on 22 May 2012 by D. Thomson

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty good
Published on 29 Nov 2011 by Jess Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 22 May 2012
D. Thomson (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
This author is a real find for me and as I write this review, I have just finished the follow-up story, Vigilante, which is even better and which I will obviously review separately. I'm now about to download Jess Daniel book 3...you can never have too much of a good thing.
I totally recommend this series to everyone who enjoys a skilfully crafted, imaginative and exciting crime thriller. These are books not to be missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kept me wanting to know more, 5 April 2012
A new author to me and did not disappoint.
I was kept entertained throughout and it kept me guessing without being too predictable.
I could also relate to the characters as real people.
It is well worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cracking new series..., 26 Feb 2013
Raven (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Locked In (Paperback)
I feel that I may have joined the Kerry Wilkinson party a little late, looking at the phenomenal success he has enjoyed from self publishing to major book deal, but better late than never! I fair raced through `Locked In' the first DS Jessica Daniel investigation, an engaging police procedural set on the mean streets of Manchester and setting the scene for a series worthy of attention.

I think what I liked most about the book was the character of Jessica herself, as unlike many other crime authors, Wilkinson has made her wholly believable. She has no weird obsessions, no strange sexual attraction to her older boss, no addictive habits and apart from her, at times, hilarious angry outbursts as she doesn't suffer fools gladly, and is portrayed as a decent, focused and determined, detective. Wilkinson seems to have a knack for identifying those elements of modern life that rankle the most, and through Jessica gets a chance to vent his spleen so to speak, through her blunt turn of phrase and tendency towards sarcasm. I really liked her interaction and sense of playfulness with her police colleague DC Dave Rowlands and nerdy reporter Garry Ashford (yes, the unconventional spelling and tweed jacket annoyed me as well!) and her steadfast refusal to conform to certain expectations of her in terms of wardrobe and updating her old and loved car, which is widely ridiculed amongst her colleagues. The characterisation of both Jessica and the other central players generally felt very natural, and the dialogue flowed easily throughout the book engaging us further with the characters.

The setting of inner city Manchester is well realised and the locations come across as authentic, highlighting the social and economic disparities of any large British city, rotating between the deprivation of some areas and the comfort of suburban communities. In terms of plot and narrative this was a steady enough police procedural, with the intriguing central premise of seemingly random murder victims discovered in completely locked abodes, leading to the utterly imaginative dubbing of the killer by the press as the `Houdini Srangler'. I thought that Wilkinson did as much as he could to conceal the killer's identity for as long as physically possible given the natural revelations of the investigation, but for me alarm bells were ringing early and alas I was proved right with my Holmesian skills of detection- ha! But joking aside, if there was a slight blip in the plotting for me, I have in no way been deterred as I have since read the second book `Vigilante' (which I also enjoyed) and am halfway through the third `The Woman In Black' which is distinctly darker in tone, thus establishing the fact that I'm really quite keen on this series already. `Think of the Children' is the latest addition and no doubt I will seek this one out as well. A good find, and a perfect series for those looking for a new take on the British police procedural.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, more twists than Spaghetti Junction!, 8 Nov 2011
I chose this book as my first "kindle-read" the reviews told me I should expect a book which I couldn't put down and I wasn't disappointed. The story line had me needing to know more right from the start both about the plot and the books main characters. The plot is excellent as it twists and turns right to the very last page, the cliff hanging chapter ends and clever reveals made sure I could barely put it down and the sense of beginning to get to know the main character Jessica Daniel made sure I started reading Kerry Wilkinson's second book Vigilante (Jessica Daniel Book 2) the day I finished "Locked in".

4.0 out of 5 stars a really good book about D.S Jessica Daniel, 28 Feb 2013
I really like police procedural stories and this one did not disappoint at all.It kept you guessing till quite near the end. I also enjoyed book 2 and 3 in the same series.

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty good, 29 Nov 2011
i quite liked it, though bits of it were a little predictable. Maybe i'm a super genius (i'm really not!) but i'd figured out the "how" of the crime from the beginning, and i had an inkling about the "who" long before the villain was revealed. I can't be more specific as i dont want to spoil it...but despite having a good idea as to what would happen i still enjoyed reading it and waiting to see if i was proved right/

The oh-so-feisty police lady started to annoy me a tiny bit, i think all the emphasis on how tough and rude she was was borderline too much...though some of the softer moments stopped her seeming too obvious. id consider reading books by this author again...depending on the price

1.0 out of 5 stars Painfully bad....., 26 Dec 2011
As an avid reader of crime fiction after seeing the good ratings for this book I started it expecting to discover an exciting new writer - only to be very badly disappointed. How it received the praise in other reviews leaves me dumbfounded (the cynic in me wonders if the positive reviews are from friends and family of the writer).
The plot is okay but predictable. I'm not sure why it is described as having constant twists as everything was so predictable I kept thinking that NOTHING could be that obvious.... but sure enough it was!
The worst part, however, is the abysmally poor grammar and prose which is almost painful to read. To then discover that the author is a trained journalist left me shocked and saddened for the future of journalism - I hope that this example is not indicative of the standards of English taught.
Initial impressions were that the writer was either a teenage girl or an elderly woman - certainly someone that was not really aware of the lifestyle, attitudes, speech patterns or behaviours of a twenty something career girl. Perhaps a geeky, game addict...
There would appear to be minimal knowledge of police procedures, vitually no references to modern policing or forensic methods and a police force that would struggle to survive in Midsommer Murder Land, never mind a large metropolis. None of the characters elicit even the slightest empathy from the reader - I actually wouldn't have cared one jot if they'd all come to gruesome ends.
The plot would probably work as a tv thriller and maybe the author should focus in this direction - working with scriptwriters to make the characters believable - although I still think that most people would guess the conclusion from pretty early on.
I purchased the second novel in this series at the same time, rather foolishly, swayed by all the positive reviews but I think that I can safely say that I won't be wasting any time reading it. To be honest I'd rather spend the five hours chewing aluminium foil!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good plot shame about the English, 18 Sep 2011
Very enjoyable book, but the English drives you mad. Set in Manchester it is fine for "he was sat" and "gotten" in dialogue, but not in the narrative please. I look forward to the next book, but please get a good editor.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, solid story., 3 July 2012
I bought this book out of curiosity after seeing it take its author to the top of the Amazon and Apple best selling lists.

Obviously the author is writing about what he knows well - the police and press world of Greater Manchester - in his day job as a journalist. The detail of the characterisations, the environment and social life is very convincing and plausibly written. I am a native of East Lancashire and know the area quite well. He gives value for money with a longish book and has put together an interesting plot. But overall, there is nothing really to attract me to look out the next one in the series with the same characters.

Obviously his work is commercially attractive as he has now signed with a major publisher - good news for all self-published authors that ebooks are a viable way to start a writing career. It now seems that the publishers in the future may be seeking out the authors and not the other way round.

Mr Wilkinson has put a lot of hard work into his success and he deserves praise and good wishes for the future. I look forward to watching him develop his talent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 9 Feb 2012
This novel is more like a first draft than a completed volume - the grammar is disgraceful and the use of language is awkward. It was difficult to engage with any of the characters and the premise of the plot was not credible as the novel is set in Manchester in the modern day - surely all modern city-dwellers lock their doors and windows at all times? Badly written and a great disappointment.

Locked In
Locked In by Kerry Wilkinson (Paperback - 14 Feb 2013)
5.24