5.0 out of 5 stars This was a corker! - Had to put my goggles on!
Published 5 months ago by Philip Lawson

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great
Published 20 months ago by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a corker! - Had to put my goggles on!, 10 April 2014
Philip Lawson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ganymede: 3 (Clockwork Century 3) (Paperback)
I decided to read Boneshaker, the first book in the series, because I like steampunk and wasn't sure at first as, for me, it wasn't set in Victorian England. Anyway, it didn't matter, I really enjoyed it! All that gas and zombies. Anyway, I got Dreadnaught and Ganymede together. I don't write reviews normally but Ganymede is superb. By now you've got to know a fair few of the characters and the link to real history is a masterstroke. The way the book is written really pulls you in and the ending (I'm not giving it away) does the buildup credit. well done Cherie, your books are super. I'm ordering book five right now.

1.0 out of 5 stars My favourite so far, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Ganymede: 3 (Clockwork Century 3) (Paperback)
I feel like Priest has really settled into the tone she wants for this series. I enjoyed Boneshaker enough to read to continue but I'd say that both Dreadnought and Ganymede are much easier to get into.

I've given this book a lower rating not because the book wasn't good, but because I feel that those responsible for the marketing of this edition have to be held accountable for the calculated whitewashing. Whitewashing is a form of racism that is rampant within all forms of media. It was someone's very calculated decision to change the blurb to not include mention of Josephine race, as well as use a photo of a woman who is racially ambiguous at best but could easily be read as white. This is harmful, offensive and does a disservice to Priest; who has clearly made an effort to utilise Steampunk’s capacity for challenging popular historical narrative by actually including people usually left out of the history books.

Buy the other edition if possible

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series, 10 April 2013
simon211175 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Having read this series right from the start (Boneshaker (Clockwork Century 1) - go read it now if you haven't already), I was keen to get this one.

The Clockwork Century books are steampunk adventures focusing on the American Civil War, but with the added presence of zombies. However, so far in the series the zombies take more of a back seat, as something people have either gotten used to (in the Seattle-based books), or something that takes more of a back seat to the main war-based goings-on.

Personally, I'm enjoying this series. The books can be a bit slow sometimes, and each one can be read as a standalone book if you really wanted to. I found Ganymede to be one of the better books in the series, it kept a good pace and the characters were interesting enough to hold my attention.

I'd recommend this book, and all the others in the series - I'm off to catch the next one (The Inexplicables) where no doubt I'll see you shortly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boneshaker 3, 15 Mar 2013
Excellent book in this series. Read the previous two volumes, plus the Celementine side story and thouroughly enjoyed it. Excellent concept, idea, and storyline, would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone interested in Steampunk, Zombies, and american civil war period.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great, 20 Jan 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ganymede: 3 (Clockwork Century 3) (Paperback)
Steampunk seems to be a genre that grows more popular with every release and as s reader I love to suspend belief and dive headlong into a work of mechanisation clockwork. Yet whilst I've read way more than I've enjoyed if a title's blurb more than grabs me, whether I've enjoyed an author before or not, I can't resist the lure to travel to this wonderfully inventive genre.

Whilst I wasn't the biggest fan of Boneshaker as I couldn't really get on with one of the protagonists, this book did do a reasonable enough job of keeping me engaged and while I do love a story that brings zombies alongside it, the book really doesn't add anything that I've not seen before as a lot of the elements within the set up failed to live up to the twists that I was expecting within. All round whilst it is a solid enough title, I want something that pushes the boundaries, something that deliver a hell of a ride that doesn't leave me wondering how long I've been reading and whilst this has been a pleasant enough diversion, it's not one that's going to stay with me that long. All round a great shame.

Ganymede: 3 (Clockwork Century 3)
Ganymede: 3 (Clockwork Century 3) by Cherie Priest (Paperback - 3 Jan 2013)
5.59