4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant detective story
Published on 5 July 2003 by Jan Erik Frantsvåg

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good
Having already read 'A Dedicated Man' i was naturally keen to see if this book lived up to the previous one. Although the novel was slightly different in that there was no obvious motive for the murder, it retained my interest by the complexities of the minor charactors and the continuous shifting of the plot.
I was slightly disapointed by the uncovering of the...
Published on 7 Sep 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant detective story, 5 July 2003
Jan Erik Frantsvåg "janeriks" (Tromsø, Norway) - See all my reviews
The local Inspector Banks gets saddled with the tougher Superintendent Burgess from London when a peaceful demonstration in Eastvale ends with a dead policeman, stabbed to death. Riddled with prejudices, Burgess immediately points at a small community of "drop-outs", suspecting communist involvement in the killing. But is this the motivation for the killing? Well-written, nice characters and a believable plot, this book can be recommended for some quiet hours of reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 7 Sep 2002
By A Customer
I was slightly disapointed by the uncovering of the murderer at the end of the novel as the motive behind the murder seemed rather rushed and slightly simplistic, although a complee surprise.
All in all good read, Robinson engages the reader as always, if my expereience was anything to go by everyone is a suspect.

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this book by Peter Robinson, 7 Sep 2007
I really enjoyed this book by Peter Robinson. The scene was set marvellously by the demo and then the trouble began when a policeman was stabbed.

The introduction of DI Burgess known as 'Dirty Dick' I thought was very good, the man was a cocky sort of character and he certainly had an eye for the ladies especially Glenys at the local pub, so much so that her husband Cyril was very irate about it.

The characters Seth, Maya, Rick and Zoe all had different ways of doing things and towards the end of the book there were a few surprises (I won't spoil it for anyone who has not read the book).

Banks was fed up with Burgess and Banks told him what he thought of him but Burgess thought he could solve the case.

At the end Banks solved the case and I would have liked to have known what Burgess thought of that, this wasn't mentioned in the book so I can only think that Burgess returned to London.

Peter Robinson is excellent at description, he tells the reader what the weather was like over the moors, the cold wind and the wind chimes ringing in Banks' ears as he left 'Maggies Farm' for the last time.

Because of Peter's excellent description of characters, the moors etc. I was able to picture this in my mind.

I have no idea whether this book has won an award, if not - why not.

All the best to Peter and congratulations on an excellent crime novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Necessary End, 12 Dec 2014
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
A demonstration against a political speaker in Eastvale turns violent and a policeman is killed. Is it the work of terrorists of whatever persuasion? Or is it just an unfortunate accident with tempers flaring and things getting out of hand? The powers that be are keen to avoid a political scandal and fear anarchic elements. A former colleague of DCI Banks is sent to investigate and doesn't go down well with the locals or with Banks himself.

This is a well plotted and interesting crime novel. The characters are believable and I liked the way the community at Maggie's Farm was brought to life. I didn't like Burgess - the Superintendent sent from London to investigate the murder but then I don't believe he's meant to be liked. His tactics border on police brutality and he strikes sparks of Banks who is much more in favour of a softly, softly approach to questioning witnesses and suspects.

This is the third novel in the series and so far I am enjoying them. I'm always interested in crime novels set outside London and knowing Yorkshire quite well the background to this series is of interest to me. The book can be read as a standalone novel but I think it is probably best read as part of a series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looked Forward to Car Journeys!, 16 Dec 2009
David Rayner "SuccessTheory" (Oxford,UK) - See all my reviews
I knew that listening to this would transport into the story. A good range of realistic characters good bad and in between. Didn't know Peter Robinson before so will look out for his books in future- Just checked not true I've previously listened to his marvelous In a Dry Season

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, well written., 2 Jan 2005
A. Browne "gameruler" (England) - See all my reviews
Rather like Inspector Wrexford stories, but set in Yorkshire. A good read rather than a cliffhanger. Inspector Rebus stories (author: Ian Rankin) are more interesting, darker and complex.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspector Banks, 15 April 2012
Jerry J. Cobb - See all my reviews
I have enjoyed this reading of one of the Inspector Banks mystery series. JAMES LAngton does a great job capturing what I imagined how Banks would sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Necessary End, 15 Sep 2014
Third in the series and still nothing to put me off continuing the series. The dialogue can be quite weak in parts and in this particular story, the introduction of dirty city cop sometimes felt cliche, but this is an old title and I kind of expect that.

What makes these books is the location and slow build up to revelation. Following Banks as he puts it together in between beer and pie lunches makes for a relaxing and enjoyable read with no need for irrelevant prose designed merely to impress.

I look forward to number four.

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay read, 24 Aug 2014
This is my second time of reading this story, once in paperback and several years later in ebook format. Whilst I enjoy many of Peter Robinson's books - plot, characters, scenarios, are all well thought out. I find that this is rather pedestrian and not as gripping as his two earlier books and certainly not a patch on his later ones. I don't dismiss it, and it's still enjoyable but I would suggest that anyone coming to this author for the first time doesn't read this one first!

5.0 out of 5 stars A well written book, 4 Aug 2014
well written, use of vocabulary is excellent, presented a few new words to look up in dictionary!! Story line held me right up to the end, when I was sorry it was finished.

Banks was portrayed as an almost ordinary bloke, a highly believable character. Peter Robinson certainly can describe his characters well.

A Necessary End (The Inspector Banks Series)
A Necessary End (The Inspector Banks Series) by Peter Robinson (Paperback - 14 Feb 2013)