4.0 out of 5 stars An Accomplished Writer

2.0 out of 5 stars A thriller that doesn't thrill
Published 13 months ago by Julia Flyte

4.0 out of 5 stars An Accomplished Writer, 16 April 2013
C. E. Utley "Charles Utley" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Hit (Will Robie 2) (Hardcover)
Will Robie and "Super Agent" Vance return (we first met them in The Innocent). The theme is a familiar one for devotees of Baldacci. The government of the USA is continuing its relentless campaign of killing off everyone with whom it disagrees. But it may not be that all its targets for murder are actually evil. And, of course, there is suspicion of there being some bad apples right at the top of the barrel.

Robie is told to hunt down and kill a CIA agent called Jessica Reel. She, like him, has spent her professional career killing people who have fallen out of favour with the government. But now she seems to have turned. She has embarked on her own, independent, killing campaign. And the victims are federal employees. Once again (it happens in almost all Baldacci books) the government has decided that Jessica must be killed, that she should not be allowed to stand trial. Robie is given the job.

But is Reel really a traitor? Could it be that the real traitors are right at the top of the federal security agencies? Is something horribly sinister going on? I shan't answer those questions. You must read the book yourselves. And I reckon you will enjoy it.

Of course, it is all dreadful nonsense. The story is grossly unbelievable. But that doesn't matter. Baldacci writes escapist stories. When we embark on reading them we happily accept that we are going to be required to believe extreme fantasy. At least I hope it is fantasy, for Mr Baldacci's sake. If the federal government of the USA really behaves in the way he portrays he is likely to be gunned down by a CIA agent himself (for revealing what they get up to).

This is splendid page-turning stuff. There are one or two holes in the story, but they can be easily overlooked. Towards the end Baldacci cuts a few corners (the set-piece finale is disappointing). But, on the whole, this is a good read. And Baldacci's obsession with bottoms seems to have been put aside (this is about the first of his books I have read which does not have the words "ass", "butt", "buttocks" or "bottom" on almost every page).

Charles

2.0 out of 5 stars A thriller that doesn't thrill, 22 Jun 2013
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Hit (Will Robie 2) (Hardcover)
Will Robie is a Government assassin who made his first appearance in The Innocent. In this instalment he is assigned the task of tracking down a rogue agent who is systematically killing off members of the CIA. Robie trained with Jessica Reel and has always respected her. He wants to understand what has led her to turn on her handlers, but at the same time he is aware that he is in danger as is anyone close to him.

This is typical of many of Baldacci's recent books in that the action moves at a good pace but the suspense factor is low and the credibility factor is zero. I just don't buy Robie as a top assassin - he is far too impetuous, emotional and sloppy. I was hoping that we would be spared Julie the homework obsessed 14 year old and FBI agent/potential love interest Vance who made an appearance first time round, but no, here they are again. Why do we have to keep being reminded what a good guy Robie is underneath? A far more credible assassin for me is Victor, the hero of the series by Tom Wood (start with The Hunter (Victor the Assassin)) - he is a genuine professional with an icy exterior. Not Robie. As for the plot - well it unfolds much as you expect it will and has all those trademark Baldacci touches like an obsession with descriptions of people driving in cars, wooden dialogue and statements like "He operated in the world of government power, and it was as dirty as the grimiest alley in the city".

What it adds up to is a thriller that doesn't thrill. I was bored reading it. Yes, there's action and yes I suppose technically there are twists and turns, but if you don't see them coming from a mile away I'd be surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 April 2014
This book is one David aldacci best and has a story that keeps you interested all the way through. I gave it 5 starts due to having read others of his books and this is the best so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant follow up about Will, 20 April 2014
David is one of my favourite authors and Will one of my favourite characters. This is a must read for anyone who likes thrillers

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, full of suspense, 12 April 2014
Excellent, you were kept guessing to the end. Full of suspense. Can't wait for the next one to see where they are.

4.0 out of 5 stars A big HIT, 11 April 2014
Just as good as Will Robie 1 if not better .looking forward to reading number. 3. I would recommend David Baldacci to all my friends as usual.

3.0 out of 5 stars took a while, 19 April 2014
M. E. Beecher "Maggie" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
Took a while to get into the storyline, seemed a bit drawn out, was fine once I got into it, but not really enough of a storyline to keep me enthral led.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 29 Mar 2014
I usually love David Baldacci books but I just couldn't get into this one. I thoroughly enjoyed the Innocent but this didn't have the same page turning appeal. To be fair I gave up and didn't finish the Book.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read., 24 Mar 2014
From start to finish this book held your interest. Lots of twists and turns. Plenty of action. A good read!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 16 Mar 2014
Firstly,I've really enjoyed most of his books,so when i saw The Hit in the library I thought happy days.How wrong I was,the story which started promisingly went downhill fast,superman and super women against the world,I've read it all before,unbelievable storyline and daft characters,I should have smelt a rat when disguised as an old women the leading lady passed through airport security armed to the teeth,no questions asked.How I got as far as page 437 I never know,hoping it would improve I suppose,it didn't sadly.How DB can can write such a bad book is disappointing,I got the feeling he was writing a film script,I wonder if cruise has already bought the rights!.Cant possibly recommend this book and I hope DB has better luck with his next effort.

The Hit (Will Robie 2)
The Hit (Will Robie 2) by David Baldacci (Paperback - 21 Nov 2013)
3.85