4.0 out of 5 stars Steampunk and Zombies
If I'm being one hundred percent honest, I have to hold up my hands and say initially, I found Boneshaker by Cherie Priest a difficult book to read. Now before all you Priest fans form a steam-powered lynch mob and head toward my house with burning torches, let me take a moment to explain and hopefully this will calm your anger.

This situation doesn't happen...
Published 21 months ago by Pablo Cheesecake (The Eloquent...

3.0 out of 5 stars All Steam and No Punk
Surprisingly, the detailed blurb for this book doesn't give much away. Most of that background info is crammed into the first couple of pages. It is presented as an extract from a historical novel, which one of the characters is writing.

Published on 25 Nov 2010 by Sophie Playle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Steampunk and Zombies, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Boneshaker: 1 (Clockwork Century 1) (Paperback)

This situation doesn't happen often, in fact I can remember exactly the last time this issue did occur. When I started reading Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh, I often had to read pages four or five times before I understood what was going on. (That admission is made all the more embarrassing by the fact I'm Scottish, but I digress.)

I stress that the fault is most definitely with the reader, in both cases, not the writer. Like Welsh, Priest has written something that delivers on many levels but in order to get the most from the story, the reader must allow the novel to command their full attention.

Once I had the opportunity to sit down and properly concentrate on the novel, I was blown away by how gripping it was. Over the last couple of years I have read a fair amount of `steampunk' and I enjoy the genre, it always seems to offer endless possibilities. Boneshaker is a fantastic example and very effectively captures the pioneering spirit of America in the 19th century. I have to admit I was also pleased that there were zombies or in this case rotters thrown into the mix as well.

Set fifteen years after a man-made disaster, Seattle has become a no go area surrounded by a huge wall. The city has suffered at the hands of the Boneshaker, a huge drill that destroyed buildings and released a toxic Blight upon the unsuspecting citizenry. This deadly gas kills and then re-animates those that suffer prolonged exposure. Eeking out a meagre living, widow Briar Wilkies and her son Zeke live just outside the city in an area that has come to be known as The Outskirts. Both are ostracised by the community, as many hold Brair's husband, Leviticus Blue - the man who built the Boneshaker - responsible for the calamity that has befallen them. Zeke is driven by the need to find out the truth about his father, and the events that occurred before his birth.

I liked the way the narrative splits between the two characters when Zeke heads into the city looking for answers and Briar follows. He travels under the wall while his mother travels above. This gives the author the opportunity to establish the details of the different communities that exist in and around Seattle. Both meet many colourful characters and there are lot of twists and turns on the way to the novels conclusion.

This era of American history lends itself well to the steampunk genre, and the author's descriptions of people and places are very vivid. Though initially, I had some difficulty with the novel, I persevered and I'm glad that I did as the story was ultimately rewarding.

3.0 out of 5 stars All Steam and No Punk, 25 Nov 2010
Sophie Playle (UK) - See all my reviews

This character, Hale Quarter, is one of the first people we come across in chapter one. We see the world from a mixture of his and Briar's point-of-view. Then, Quarter disappears, and doesn't reappear again in the novel. Not a particularly smooth introduction to the story.

The novel is structured with two dominant view points: Briar and Zeke. Each have their own chapters. Briar's chapters are illustrated with a pair of goggles at the beginning, and Zeke's chapters with a gas lamp. A nice touch.

I felt Priest painted Briar's character quite well. Her history, her flaws, made her more human. However, she boarded on the stereotypical 'mother who will stop at nothing' to save her child.

Zeke, on the other hand, was an incredibly annoying character. He is meant to be an older teenager, but acts more like a ten or eleven year old. He lacks a sense of maturity, and his thoughts are simple. Often, he comes across as rather dumb, and I felt almost completely unsympathetic towards him.

Whereas Briar has a much more active stance in moving the plot forward, Zeke is lead around by others, making him passive and quite boring.

All four-hundred pages of the book take place within a few days. And this slow pace often takes its toll. The action scenes are well executed and exciting, but the spaces between them are often bogged down with unnecessary description, bantering, and time-fillers. It seems to me that there is no real control over the contours of action and suspense.

I commend Priest's original zombie ideas. The term 'rotter' is both apt and phonetically pleasing, and I liked the idea that these zombies were created by a poisonous gas. However, there is no attempt to explain why this 'blight' created the undead, or why or how it was being formed beneath the city. The characters don't even wonder about this, which I found strange. The role of the zombies in the plot is quite unoriginal. They are just there to loom, chase and destroy.

The steampunk elements are largely aesthetic. There are copious amounts of goggles, airships, weird weapons and strange devices. Nothing seems superficial in the sense that all the steampunk objects are important to the narrative. However, there is no real sense of rebellion in this text, no real sense of the 'punk'. This book doesn't really try to hold up a mirror to anything, to reveal any ugly truth.

The book itself bears a sepia text (as opposed to traditional black) which I personally found a little hard on the eyes. However, I adore the cover art and design.

Overall, I did enjoy reading Boneshaker, despite its flaws. Priest's imagined world is rich and dark. Perhaps with a little more editing and fine tuning, this book could have been even better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 April 2014
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Boneshaker: 1 (Clockwork Century 1) (Paperback)
I bought this book some while back and it has been sitting on my TBR pile for quite some time. Deciding that I wanted to put my feet up with something entertaining and enjoyable I decided to give this a go. Ultimately though I found this was just an okay book, the kind of thing that you may read over a weekend and then promptly forget about as you dump it in the bag for the charity shop.

I thought that there would be more action in places than there really was and this just really turned into a story of a mother looking for her son who had gone into the walled city mentioned in the blurb on the back cover. Obviously this is an alternative history novel and Seattle has been changed to write this, and I had no problem with that, it is just that this seemed rather clichéd and similar to many another tale, although not as good as some.

So on the whole if you are looking for just some average escapism then this will fit the bill, but if you are looking for something that will make you sit up and want to tell others about the great book you have just read, then this isn't it. There are much better Steampunk books on the market, but by the same token, there are also much worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steampunk Zombie Glory, 31 Oct 2009
Andreas Beck "Karohemd" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
After enjoying Four and Twenty Blackbirds, I've been meaning to read more of Cherie Priest's work but my reading pile has simply been to large and diverse to come back. However, when Boneshaker came out, I simply had to get it and bump it up on top of the pile. I have no regrets doing so.

Determined to clear his father's name, Zeke runs away from home and finds a way into the city. His worried mother soon follows him and the narrative switches back and forth between them and their desperate struggle to find what they are looking for. They make friends and enemies alike until they are finally confronted with the the ruler of the inner city who might hold all the answers...

There have been few books in recent years that have captivated me as much as Boneshaker, it is simply unputdownable. The plot chucks along nicely, constantly little bits of the background are revealed but never too much so the reader is always left guessing at the truth until it is finally revealed in the end.
The setting isn't classic steampunk in that it isn't Victorian England or the Empire but it has all the elements. Belching furnaces, wonderful and horrible machines and gadets made from brass and wood, dirigibles and airships and of course goggles in all kinds of shapes and sizes, creating an interesting world away from the stereotype. Also unlike the stereotype it is a dark and depressing world, everyone is fighting for survival or making ends meet.
Both plot and characters are very well written and vividly described so it's easy for the reader's mental eye to imagine what's going on.

Well done Cherie, I can't wait for the next book in this universe.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much more, 22 April 2013
I have to say although an interesting idea, the book read a little younger than expected, plus I found Zeke to be infuriatingly obstinate. Coupled with the Rotters really only being a device to move the plot on, thus never feeling like a real threat, I have to say I was sorely disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and original, 14 July 2012
That the main protagonist is a woman '35 and looked every second of it' sets this book apart. Good science fiction should transport you to another world. This does so very convincingly. The story is fast paced and, unpredictable. you never know who are the good guys who is lying or what is going to happen next. Excellent and recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars for the idea - 3 for the execution, 11 July 2012
I liked the premise of 'Boneshaker' and Priest's portrayal of post-apocolyptic 19th-century Seattle and the characters who dwell there. It's a lovingly crafted book and you can tell Priest has a real fondness for the period - I just felt that it took a bit too much time to hit it's stride (as her subsequent novels have done also) which left the end feeling a little rushed. Also be warned: it's not really a zombie novel - although a zombie-type scurge does inhabit much of the city where the action occurs, but this is not the novel's central theme.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Up to what I was expecting, 17 Nov 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Boneshaker: 1 (Clockwork Century 1) (Paperback)
To be honest with you this is a book that left me confused and I feel that the book was in part an experiment as to what could be achieved within a title without having to do too much. Yes it has a great concept, yes I love the fact that its Steampunk with Zombies but some of the characters telling the story left me not only annoyed but had me wishing that they'd turn into a Happy meal on legs (yes Zeke I mean you.)

Whilst the other protagonist Briar really brought it across, the whole thing seemed to be more of an extensive set up for future outings rather than a real story for the reader to get behind. It lacked pace in places, the characters felt a little flat and whilst the imagery within was wonderfully imaginable all round it felt like it really didn't take me anywhere.

All in if you want to read Cherie Priest I would advise starting with her Four and Twenty Blackbirds, that really is top notch value for money otherwise you may be put off an author that really does hit the spot on quite a few occasions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too many pages, not enough story., 3 Jan 2011
J. Scott "JS" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this because I heard it described as 'the perfect steampunk novel'.

Well, OK, it has a lot of the expected steampunk elements. If this were a movie it would certainly have the appropriate 'look'.

Unfortunately, what it's lacking is a decent STORY. Long before I came to the last of its 400-odd pages, I realised that the entire book could be summarised in a couple of pages and still leave out very little of what actually happens. Actually I think it could be summed up in a few lines, but I won't do that, because I hate spoilers in reviews.

If I didn't know that Ms Priest had already written other novels, I would have sworn that this must be a first novel by someone who was still feeling their way at how to construct a plot.

I was hugely disappointed by this book, and don't expect to be reading anything else by this writer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Boneshaker: 1 (Clockwork Century 1) (Paperback)
I had hoped for much, this being my first stab at steampunk, but was not tempted to buy after reading the sample. I did not engage with the characters and the story was told up front. The dialogue needed work. It offered no character development, depth, or wit. Disappointing...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Boneshaker: 1 (Clockwork Century 1)
Boneshaker: 1 (Clockwork Century 1) by Cherie Priest (Paperback - 8 Nov 2012)
5.59