5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Story Told by an Extraordinary Woman
Authored by Jenny Lawson of "The Blogess" fame, "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" is a simple autobiography full of the humour, hyperbole and weirdness that characterizes her blog.

Published on 27 July 2012 by Kyberia

3.0 out of 5 stars Works better as a blog
Published 21 months ago by imperfectpages

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Story Told by an Extraordinary Woman, 27 July 2012
This review is from: Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) (Paperback)

She cheerfully skips over all the boring stuff and gets straight down to the cow vaginas and dead animals in little costumes. I won't spoil the stories for anyone else here, but she tells everything with this slightly tipped view on reality that had me in stitches... when I wasn't in tears.

Jenny suffers from OCD and generalized anxiety disorder, and as a sufferer from mental health issues myself, aspects of her story - all poignantly, yet still humorously told told - were heartbreakingly familiar.

In the early stages of the book, the writing feels a little strained, as if she were trying to force her own hand to write a standard-issue and somewhat dull autobiography, but later she relaxes and lets her own signature bursts of "WTF?!" come through.

All in all, there is room for improvement in her transition from blog to novel, but that will surely come in the next book, and even as it stands, no-one could ever possibly regret reading this book. It's just a simple story of one woman's life, but with all the unexpected bobcats and giant metal chickens you could possibly hope for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky-funny, 20 Sep 2014
Lucybird (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Let’s Pretend This Never Happened has been on my radar and on my wishlist for a long time (it was listed on my 2012 wishlist on goodreads, which I used to choose books for The Wishlist Challenge last year). As with many things which I actually buy from my wishlist it was on special offer when I bought it- I have the awful tendency to add things to my wishlist but then buy things which are not on it. Part of me wishes I had bought it sooner, but then I wouldn’t have got a bargain. Anyway I am waffling.

Jenny Lawson is probably best known as The Bloggess but that’s not how I ‘discovered’ her. I read a few reviews of Let’s Pretend The Never Happened which compared Jenny Lawson to Caitlin Moran. Seeing as I pretty much got a girl crush on Caitlin Moran as a result of reading How To Be a Woman I basically had to add Let’s Pretend This Never Happened to my wishlist. Then it sat on my wishlist for about a year before I saw a few links to The Bloggess and decided to check her out. I knew it was Jenny Lawson so I’m not sure why I hadn’t looked at her blog initially, but it made me want to read the book even more, then it was on offer on kindle so I snapped it up.

First off I should say if you are easily embarrassed then don’t read this in public. You will not be able to contain your laughter in certain parts. (And guess what? If you try to explain to your boyfriend what you’re laughing at he will just look at it like you’re crazy, and say something about how it cannot possibly be true, because what person would think that making a squirrel into a puppet and pretending that it’s magic is good children’s entertainment?) I suppose I should say that there are bits that people might be a bit squeamish about (lots about taxidermy, and hunting, and wearing dead animals…yeah). At times I was squeamish myself but then something was funny, and I would forget things like Jenny accidentally running inside a deer (yes, that did happen).

As with How to Be a Woman there were serious bit too. Although most things had a funny spin put on it. It was good to see Jenny Lawson explaining things in a more serious mode however, some things require a more serious tone. I think Caitlin Moran has a very similar sense of humour to Jenny Lawson too, although I also think I preferred How To Be A Woman, maybe because it was closer to my own experiences. I should really get around to buying Moranthology- that’s been on my wishlist since it came out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works better as a blog, 10 Mar 2013
I bought this book as I occasionally dip into Jenny's blog and find it hilarious. She's very unusual, honest and interesting. But as a book, I didn't like it. Her childhood stories were unpleasant and the stream-of-consciousness writing style that works well in a short blog post got really irritating in the book. When you read a blog you come to identify with the writer and feel like you 'know' them, which I expect is why books by popular bloggers sell so well. This feeling of knowing Jenny is also giving me some guilt about writing a bad review, which is perhaps a factor in why it gets such high ratings here. Or perhaps I'm weird for not liking it.
(I usually only write reviews when I have strong opinions; I wrote this one because the Kindle app gave me a neat option to write it as soon as I'd finished reading. Cunning, Amazon.)

5.0 out of 5 stars blood, romance, and bobcats, 28 Sep 2014
If you already know Jenny Lawson as The Bloggess, then you will know what to expect (mostly). If you don’t, then go and subscribe to her blog immediately!

Terrifying, startling, disturbing, but mainly laugh-out-loud funny, this tells certain incidents in Lawson’s life that many might think implausible, but for which there is significant evidence (we’ve seen the photos of Beyoncé the giant metal chicken, after all). It’s all (mostly) in the same breezy style as her blog, even when the incidents are what most people would think as traumatic. We see more of Jenny’s childhood, and of Victor, than in the blog posts. There’s blood, and romance, and bobcats, and panic attacks, and zombies, and stuffed animals, all rolled into one.

Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and bold & I loved it, 9 May 2012
Don D (Manchester) - See all my reviews
What a surreal read! It was given to me, and I loved this book for its bizarre well of stories laced with very anecdotal wit. Stuffed animals crop up a lot, along with eccentric relatives and all I can say is I'd recommend it to anyone. Taxidermy and liquor never struck me as two things that go well together before, but that's all in the past.

There's a lot more to this book but what I've mentioned has left the strongest impression. There are many personal details about a real struggle as well, and it's very moving in many places, so it's worth reading for that, but I'd recommend it for the funny parts, which are consistently good and really hit the spot. It's a wonderful book.

A lot of recent humour has been very disappointing, but this one succeeds handsomely. The only books I've read recently that were anywhere near as funny are Charlie Brooker's acerbic Dawn of the Dumb: Dispatches from the Idiotic Frontline and Chris Wood's brilliant Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Zombie Death Monkeys, which is hilarious. Most of the others have been let downs.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one, though. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I do believe I've soiled myself., 28 Oct 2013
Tony James Slater (Australia (currently)) - See all my reviews
This book is Bat. S***. Insane.
Probably because the woman who wrote it is Bat. S***. Insane.
It's also utterly awesome, and makes me wish everything was like this - only, then it would be called Bat S*** Normality. Still, it'd be a lot more fun!
NOW BRACE YOURSELF FOR MY SERIOUS VOICE: I loved the weird, eclectic stories, the quirky, stream-of-consciousness humour that crossed the line so frequently it was like one of those dotted ones with gaps they paint down the middle of the road to show you're allowed to overtake... and the plethora of references to dildos and vaginas (which may be because I'm a man, but then many of the vagina references are to a cow's vagina which, as an object, holds very little fascination for me at all. Wow. I think I used the word `vagina' more in this review than I have in the last ten years. But then, I'm married.) Sorry - I seem to have lost my `serious voice' somewhere in there. Perhaps I should just wrap this up by saying, I love vaginas. No! Sorry, that just slipped out. I mean, I LOVED this book. I laughed so hard at the first half that my wife made me go out and buy incontinence pants before she'd let me read the second half. Thank God for leather sofas, is all I can say. And... side-tracked again, my apologies. Where were we? Oh yes. Buy this book. And don't sit on anything that stains whilst reading it, unless you have exceptional bladder control. Or a dog to blame.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it if you are easily offended.... do buy it if you don't mind strong language and want a laugh., 27 Aug 2014
Erm, well Jenny admits she's slightly crazy... she says what a lot of us think but would never voice! This book is funny but more than that, it's an amazing insight into anxiety disorder. I will be more cautious about judging people after reading this book. I'm not sure if I could read another Jenny Lawson book though- if you like your books to be nice and orderly, don't buy it. Jenny rambles her way through this book in a touching and humorous manner.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick to the blog., 17 Dec 2012
I was pretty late in discovering The Bloggess - not entirely sure how it happened, I think one of my friends re-posted something of hers onto their Facebook page, or something like that. So, then I had to investigate & I loved reading her crazy blog! I gradually worked my way through some of her back catalogue, laughing at the insanity of her life. (Plus, I so loved the bit of Wil Wheaton coallating paper!)

So, when her book came out over here I wasn pretty excited & wanted to get it straight away, only it was pretty expensive, so it had to wait a bit. Then things happened & I became the recipient of an amazon gift card, so I (of course!) bought Let's Pretend This Never Happened.

Everyone was raving about it. That is so rarely a good thing in my reading experience. Not often have I enjoyed a book that everyone else was raving about & sadly this was no exception. Lawson begins the book by admitting that someone somewhere is going to be offended by her book, by the things she has written/is saying & well, I was at one point.

The book starts out well enough - I did laugh in a few places, but they were more chuckles, than the belly laughs that I was used to from reading her blog. And, honestly, it just got worse from there. There is no sort of cohesion to the blog, it's just randomness clumped together into book format. It doesn't follow a timeline, or any kind of theme - it's really just a bunch of her blog posts called a book. Only, there is something missing, it isn't really like her blog. It isn't really funny - it's almost like she's desperately trying to be funny & failing miserably. Maybe these were the posts that were sitting in her drafts, that she wasn't really sure were up to being published on her blog?

I read in a review where someone complained about the number of times the joke about the publisher "hating" something had been done/written in the latest chapter. Yeah, sadly, that person was correct. It was over killed, really. I lost count of the number of times Lawson recycled that "joke"

I think my biggest arguement with the book is it's not a memoire, not really. A memoire traditionally would actually have a bit of a story to it, would have some "flesh on the bone" - this doesn't. It's superficial, rambling, all over the place and in desperate need of a really really good editor.

If you are a fan of the blog - stick to the blog! Do not read this book, as there is a better than not chance you will be disappointed. I was so disappointed I gave up on her blog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Sep 2014
I bought this on a recommendation from a friend having never read the blog and I have to say, I adored it. I was unable to get past the first page without laughing out loud and this continued throughout the whole book. It was witty, well written and just thoroughly enjoyable.

Just don't read it in public. The constant laughing at loud and fits of giggles earned me some filthy looks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
I totally wish I could write like this author. Totally.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir)
Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson (Paperback - 10 May 2012)
Used & New from: £0.77