Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 15 September 2004
Having been a keen reader of Archer novels in the past but totally un-interested in reading his prison diaries, I wondered if any of his novels had passed me by in the last couple of years, so I was delighted when I discovered Sons of Fortune. I think some other reviewers have been slightly harsh but after all, it is a matter of taste. If you compare this book with A Matter of Honour or even the Eleventh Commandment you may well be disappointed, because it's not a gripping chase novel, nor does it hold any of the intrigue of his inside stories of the CIA. It does hold up well against As the Crow flies, however - simply a very good story which you're loathe to put down. Read it - you may well be very pleasantly surprised. I was.
on 19 April 2014
This was the first Jeffrey Archer book I've read, and I loved it ! I finished it in 3 days, although it was difficult to find time to read, but it was hard to put down. I wanted to know what happened next ! As soon as I finished it, I ordered the other two books in the trilogy and am just waiting for those to arrive. I thought it was well written and although not slow, structured beautifully.
on 10 May 2014
However hard you might try to guess or predict what you will find in the next chapter or even page- you have to accept you will be wrong! A superb read, with twists literally right to the very last line!
on 1 April 2014
All his books are very similar and predictable. Even so they are all good reads. He knows how to write to hold the reader. TYHere is one exception to this comment. His prison dairies are exceptional and stand alone as a valuable contribution.
on 6 March 2014
I enjoyed Sons of Fortune but it was not as gripping as most of Jeffrey Archer's other books.
I found that I was thinking about getting to the end so I could start another of his books that would have the "can't put down value"
on 17 November 2011
Seeing the other comments about this being similar to previous novels, I would agree. However, this is why I liked it. I found the plot absorbing and I did not want to put the book down. All in all an excellent book where you feel for both of the main characters.
on 30 December 2002
Just from reading the synopsis on the dust jacket i knew i had to buy it... I wasn't disappointed! A FANTASTIC read and another Jeffery Archer CLASSIC. Full of strong dynamic characters you can't help caring about and a story that keeps you gripped and turning the pages. There really is no storyteller quite like Archer...No sooner had i read the last page and put this book down and i was searching for another Archer book, even one i had previously read, to fill the void... such are the tales he tells that they will pull you in time and time again. Don't miss it.
on 8 December 2015
I picked this up in a holiday cottage one weekend and got far enough into it to want to read the big finish so got it on Kindle. The story all through was patchy - as if Archer doesn't reliably know where his big moments are in the story. As other reviewers say, the characters are one dimensional. However, it improved a bit and it grew on me. I'm all for good and moral characters but not reading my way through hand me a bucket boy scouts, and a villain with no motive. Also there were some strangely subdued key scenes. Needs a write over.
on 31 October 2015
A great fan of Jeffrey Archer, I was slightly disappointed with this book. My wife however thinks it is excellent , so it's a question of taste. For me it appeared to " ramble" through the early chapters & therefor dampened my enjoyment . I remain faithful to Jeffrey Archer however.
on 15 September 2014
Goodness-i am plowing through this book, but it's the same old same!! I loved Jeffrey archer's last 4, and most of his books-but this a bit boring. I realise it's an earlier book, so it came out before his recent trilogy, so maybe I should have read it first, I won't give up on it yet, because to be fair he is usually a good read, and I'm hoping there will be a bit of a twist. But twins being separated at birth has been done time and time again.