5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, though possibly a little confusing.
After having read Adams's 'Hitchhiker' series, I then wished to read the recently published posthumous compilation of his works, 'The Salmon of Doubt'. Yet after viewing the back of that particular book, I realised that I would benefit from reading his two preceding Dirk Gently novels beforehand. The first, 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency', is hilariously...
Published on 4 Mar 2003 by Richard Sutherland

3.0 out of 5 stars Glaring errors in Kindle version
An amazing novel by probably the best science-fiction comedy writer of all time. This review is alas, however, for the Kindle edition, which is riddled with errors brought about by its direct OCR translation to digital format, which evidently never underwent anything as elaborate as a once-over proofread before it was released.

Some of these errors diminished...
Published on 30 Sep 2011 by Ben Jammin'

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant fun, 25 Sep 2009
SRA Fisher "NZedChap" (NZ) - See all my reviews
loved this audio. I've never listened to an 'audio book' before but really this was a dramatisation. The novel took me a few attempts some years ago but this was a much better way to enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I BELIEVE" this is brilliant, 14 May 2009
C. Burrows (chippeham,uk) - See all my reviews
This is brilliant, harry enfield does a fantastic job of dirk gently, and so does billy boyd as Richard MacDuff, it is a very funny and interesting story, if you liked the hitch hiker series you should buy this, and The long dark tea time of the soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth a read, 18 Aug 2000
Roy Omahony (Wolverhampton) - See all my reviews
Not his best work ever but still very unique very clever and very adamsish, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shada revisited, 12 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This is Dr Who - Shada rewritten with a few extra bits as well. Absolutely brilliant though, a must read for any Hitch-Hikers, Adams or Pratchett fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Shada" does the better job, 7 Nov 2007
It's fairly common knowledge that some parts of the storyline and some characters were first used by Adams for his Doctor Who script of "Shada", which is available both from the BBC online as a webcast and from BigFinish on CD. Comparing those two productions where possible and taking into account the impact of the humor of certain dialogues I must say, that the BigFinish/Doctor Who incarnation beats Dirk Maggs/Gently by far. Dirk Gently by itself is a wonderful book. There are parts of the radio play that live up to the book. But on the whole it failed to go that last extra mile for me. But I can't wait until my copy arrives to see if there is again some extra material on CD that didn't make it in the broadcast version. For the moment, after the concluding episode on the air tonight, 3 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars funny detection, 23 April 2009
RAMON (Santander, SPAIN) - See all my reviews
Funny detective story, a bit of nonsensical mix of everything, with an ironic touch about english academic life, black novel detection, spiritism, corporate finance, informatics, etc. All in all, a nice amusement for an idle hour.

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, 3 Oct 2007
I must start by saying I am obsessed with anything Douglas Adams has done, from the very first time the Hitch Hikers Guide hit the airwaves to the later Dirk Gently books (and the often ignore but utterly brilliant "Last Chance to See") so I really wanted to like this latest radio series. Obvioulsy the CD isn't out yet but the series is currently on Radio 4. Why only 3 stars, well I would say that if I hadn't read the book I'm not sure I would have understood a word of it. I'm not sure that Harry Enfield is the right casting for Dirk either. I am hoping it will grow on me. Listen to it on Radio 4's "listen again" feature before buying to avoid disapointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, 29 Jan 2013
Kate (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Absolute rubbish, misleading title. I expected to be reading about a detective not some futuristic novel. I would not recommend this.

ARRAY(0xb6b86684)

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Dirk Gently 1)
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Dirk Gently 1) by Douglas Adams (Paperback - 6 Dec 2012)
5.12