5.0 out of 5 stars Aww, i love this.
Just ordered this as my five year old got it from her school library and asked me to read it to her at bedtime.

Its a nice, short story about a little girl and her adventures with her paper dolls.

I'm a 6ft 2 hairy fella, and was not expecting to be caught off guard by this, but the last five pages had me welling up.

Anyway, I will be...
Published on 18 Nov. 2012 by The Pink Shirt Platypus

3.0 out of 5 stars Charming, but not compelling
This story is nowhere near Julia Donaldson at her best. It simply doesn't touch the likes of the Gruffalo, Tiddler, etc.

It's a very sweetly illustrated story about a little girl who plays with her paper chain dolls in all sorts of different imaginative scenarios, until they are eventually snipped into pieces by a little boy with a pair of scissors. But, fear...
Published on 31 Oct. 2012 by Kate

5.0 out of 5 stars Aww, i love this., 18 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Paper Dolls (Hardcover)

Anyway, I will be making paper dolls with the young un tomorrow and looking forward to this coming in the post.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a beautiful story!, 5 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Paper Dolls (Hardcover)
I love this story as do my children. We have been inspired to make our own paper dolls and let them go on their own adventures. Reading other reviews I am pleased to see I'm not alone in my emotional reaction to the last few pages, it's a truly wonderful book with lovely illustrations. We also liked looking for the butterfly on each page to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving story to help children deal with loss and bereavement, 5 Feb. 2015
Debbie Young "Debbie Young" (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Paper Dolls (Paperback)
A slight change of pace and tone for Donaldson, emphasised by the change of illustrator too, from the wonderful Axel Scheffler, but the more subdued and child-like, slightly retro illustrations by Rebecca Cobb are the perfect match for this tender and poignant tale about a little girl deailng with loss, and how she lives with it as she grows up. A brave departure for Donaldson from her usual happy, upbeat, tone, and hugely poignant, especially when you know the backstory that she lost a child of her own. Tender, poignant and tear-jerking, this book is best shared the first time your child reads it, to help them understand the message and so that it's not too upsetting. A really useful book for dealing with bereavement and loss of any kind in the young, because it's key message is that you keep your memories and can still pay tribute to and celebrate what you've lost for the rest of your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just lovely, 17 July 2013
His mother (Bergamo, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Paper Dolls (Hardcover)
Very very very beautiful book. Give it to any child. Lovely illustrations and a good way to look at what happens when things end. V different to other Donaldson books. It worked as a small christening present (I bought it in hardback). Bit old perhaps for my four year old, but we'll get there

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 25 Feb. 2013
Mrs. P. C. Mcquillen (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Paper Dolls (Hardcover)
Read this to my class of 4 and 5 year olds and they loved it. It was very moving and afterwards we all made paper dolls and danced with them

5.0 out of 5 stars Crying like a baby., 30 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Paper Dolls (Paperback)
I bought this book as my 4yr old loves all Julia Donaldson books.
I had lot my Gran a few weeks before I read this book to her, until I got to the part where she recalls all the things that are now in her memory. Needless to say I cried for a while. I still get emotional, but it is truly a love story.
In a way it helped my little girl to understand that although someone or something may not be here to be touched and seen, they can live on in your memory and that your memories last forever.

Another brilliant book!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous story, great pictures and a lovely ending, 6 Nov. 2012
Schneehase (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Paper Dolls (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I know that I cry easily, but this book brought tears to my eyes - especially the ending and yet it's not sad, it's very life-affirming and sweet ...
So as not to give too much away, I can't say very much about what this is about - you can probably guess it's about a girl who has a chain of paper dolls and they have all manner of adventures before they meet with disaster ... but all is saved by the ending.
I would say this is suitable for children aged 4 plus and that I am very much looking forward to reading it to my own 4 year old niece.

5.0 out of 5 stars They have both been inspired to make their own paper dolls and they both enjoy reciting the rhyme which is repeated throughout t, 7 April 2015
This review is from: The Paper Dolls (Paperback)
I have two girls aged 3 and 7 and they both absolutely adore this tale. They have both been inspired to make their own paper dolls and they both enjoy reciting the rhyme which is repeated throughout the book. I find the story sweet and charming and not overly long and am always happy when this book is requested. One of the more special books my children own. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars My eyes welled up!, 9 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Paper Dolls (Paperback)
This book is one of the most brilliant children' books that I have ever read.
As always with J Donaldson, the lilting poetry is wonderful, and the perception of a young child's play activity is inspiring. The gentle unfolding of this short story, the exposition of the thoughtless 'boy', and the satisfying tying up of thoughts at the end is just beautiful. J D deserves a bafta, an oscar, or a booker prize!!
Mind you, not so sure about the picture of the bespectacled, knitting granny - she could have been doing Pilates like this one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 27 Feb. 2015
Emmie (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Paper Dolls (Paperback)
I bought this book for my 5 year old daughter after we originally borrowed it from the library. It wonderfully describes the sheer joy and love that can be found in the simplest of things and that the memory of these things can stay with you for ever. I found myself welling up towards the end, but in a nice, bitter sweet way - a wonderful book!

The Paper Dolls
The Paper Dolls by Julia Donaldson (Paperback - 6 Jun. 2013)