4.0 out of 5 stars Downside Up is one of those books I'd recommend to anyone., 23 July 2013
This review is from: Downside Up (Paperback)
Firstly - So much fun! Downside Up is the first book by Hayley Long I've read but it won't be the last.

Ronnie is not happy, her father abandoned his family for someone else and hasn't been heard from. Since then Ronnie has stopped caring. She struggles out of bed in the morning and when she does get to school she gets into trouble. Life in her imagination is just so much better so Ronnie retreats there.

I couldn't put this book down until I'd finished it. Ronnie is one of those characters you can't help but love. While Downside Up is hilarious at times there are also some very emotional bits as well.

Another thing that is brilliant is the design of this book; thought bubbles, drawings, having to turn the book upside down and then sideways to read. It's really quirky and works so well.

Downside Up is one of those books I'd recommend to anyone. It has everything you need; characters to love, growth, laughter (seriously my sides were hurting) not to mention some really stellar writing from of Hayley Long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Downside Up (Paperback)
Have you ever considered how quickly your life can change? One moment you are just going about your normal everyday business but then BOOM! Everything changes. Well that is exactly what happens to Ronnie in this fantastic book. Downside up is probably one of the best books you will have the chance to read this year and one that I have truly enjoyed reading.
Fasten your seat belts as Hayley Long takes you on an adventure not to be missed, in this book full of twists turns and most importantly fun! You will find yourself twisting and turning along with this great read which makes it a great read for so many different audiences. I would really recommend it to avid readers like myself who really enjoy reading as it offers something other books don't always necessarily offer, a chance to have some real fun with it and get fully involved in the story. I think the book would also be great for an audience not so into reading, because after all this isn't your average book.
I always treasure reading Hayley's books over and over again, I love her unique style but this particular book caught my eye as well as many of my friends, who surreptitiously enquired why I was reading a book upside down... well you will just have to read it yourself was my reply to them but also my reply to you! Go on, read this book it might possibly blow your mind over the moon and round the entire milky way! :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Different!, 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Downside Up (Paperback)
Downside Up is a very different type of book compared to the ones I read.

I read a preview of it and wanted to buy it instantly. It is fun, quirky and informal. I found it very interesting. I normally read supernatural novels and I did not know if I would like this book. I was glad I read it. I would say it is aimed at young adults but I did enjoy it.

The most interesting thing after the plot it the layout thee book. Text goes sideways, upside down and backwards. It helps to keep the mood of the book and in some cases also helps to emphasize the emotions.

Recommended!

Downside Up
Downside Up by Hayley Long (Paperback - 4 July 2013)
5.24