5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful debut novel
This is a wonderful story about the close bond between a young girl, fourteen-year-old June Elbus, and her inspirational uncle, the noted artist Finn Weiss. He's the only person that June feels she can share her secrets with, and reveal her true self to. When Finn passes away, June finds herself adrift, wondering how her life can possibly go on without Finn being a part...
Published on 7 Jun 2012 by L. H. Healy

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book.
To a person who also grew up in the 80s amid all those rumours and secrecy surrounding AIDS, this was a very interesting time-travel exercise, reading this book brought me back to that time when we didn't know anything and we made up for that ignorance with the most outrageous random answers... it was a nice book to read, characters were really good even when they weren't...
Published 10 months ago by VdlC

‹ Previous | 111 12 13 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 2 Jan 2013
Loved the book - couldn't put it down. Not everyone in my book group rated it as highly as I did but it was a good discussion and I've recommended it to friends who've enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read!, 28 Dec 2012
Teresa (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
Such a fantastic story! I could not put this book down. The characters were great and the story was poignant and really leaves you thinking about how small decisions in life can make a vast difference to so many and change entire futures. A must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A gentle read that makes you think!, 8 Dec 2012
Pol (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This book is definitely worth reading; with very engaging characters and an interesting story line. I enjoyed the book tremendously.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 4 Oct 2012
This is a lovely, evocative read, about a girl who is searching for her identity among the vapidity of growing up in an ordinary family. She has an extraordinary uncle she loses to AIDS, and gradually befriends his lover, equally quirky. It loses a little steam toward the middle, but it's very original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of 'Tell the Wolves I'm Home'., 30 Aug 2012
Mrs. E. C. Robinson "ELIZABETH ROBINSON" (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tell the Wolves I'm Home (Hardcover)
This is an excellent first novel. It has an original plot, and the characterisation is good. The writing is accomplished so the book is totally convincing, which makes for a gripping read.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Found It a bit Slow., 16 Aug 2012
C. M. Collier "myopia1" (Liverpool,england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tell the Wolves I'm Home (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is certainly beautifully written,and I enjoyed the beginning,but then it began to drag for me and I got a bit bored.One reviewer said this is not a book to be rushed and maybe I am a bit impatient,but it didn't really do it for me,sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars A moving story, 13 Aug 2012
Sarah Lambert "Book addict" (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tell the Wolves I'm Home (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a moving story about a teenage girl struggling to cope with the death of her beloved uncle. When Finn discovers he is dying he decides to paint a portrait of June and her sister Greta. The two sisters used to be very close but in recent years they have grown apart and June has developed a very close relationship with her uncle. Finn has died from Aids and as the story is set in the eighties this means that the family not only have to cope with their loss but also the stigma this entails. At the funeral June sees a stranger and later receives a gift from him asking to meet. When they meet June realises she has found someone else who misses Finn as much as she does and finds an unexpected friend. This is a good read, well written, moving and capturing the feel of the eighties. I highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first novel...., 7 July 2012
Jill Meyer (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tell the Wolves I'm Home (Hardcover)
Many excellent reviews have already been posted about Carol Rifka Brunt's first novel, "Tell the Wolves I'm Home", and I doubt I can add anything perceptive to them. A novel, told in the voice of 14 year old June Elbus, is set in New York's Westchester county in 1987. June, the younger sister of Greta, is having a tough time adjusting to adolescence. Once close to her older sister, the two have had a silent split as they've grown older. June has become very close to her god-father, her uncle Finn Weiss. Finn is dying from AIDS and the family dynamics are quite tangled up as Danielle - Finn's sister and June's mother - is having a hard-time coming to terms with her once-beloved brother's sexual preference and upcoming death. What sounds like a soap-opera plot really isn't. It's just life in 1987 - in the midst of the AIDS crisis - when the disease meant death. Not for several years to come were the life-extending medicinal "cocktails".

In the months before his death, Finn - a famous artist - paints a joint portrait of Greta and June. The two girls posed for him weekly and the resulting painting becomes the property of the girls. Information about the painting leaks to the press and the Elbus parents put the painting in a bank vault for safe keeping. The title of the painting is "Tell the Wolves I'm Home". After Finn's death, June befriends - on the sly - Finn's partner, Toby. Toby is also dying of AIDS and Finn's family blames Toby for infecting Finn. As I noted above, Finn's sister has had a tough time with her brother's life...and death. The months after Finn's death are confused and upsetting as the entire Elbus family has to come to terms with both the Finn's loss and the angst of the daughters.

Brunt's writing is beautiful and she's created interesting characters in the Elbus family and Finn and Toby. I'm keeping the fifth star off because I feel the plot is a little unrealistic. Not the relationships between the characters, but the plot itself, particularly in the actions of the two girls. If I could, I'd give the book 4 and a half stars, but I can't and I'm already looking forward to Brunt's next book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book Report - Tell the Wolves I'm Home, 24 Dec 2012
Nice light read, if you are after a good read then buy something else as this has nothing much about it

3.0 out of 5 stars A Reader's Comments on "Tell the Wolves I'm Home", 15 Jun 2013
An easy read. However, the theme of AIDs and the prejudice connected to this illness a bit dated. Liked June's way of looking at art, looking at the 'empty' space.

‹ Previous | 111 12 13 | Next ›

Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (Hardcover - 7 Jun 2012)
9.93