5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful debut novel
This is a wonderful story about the close bond between a young girl, fourteen-year-old June Elbus, and her inspirational uncle, the noted artist Finn Weiss. He's the only person that June feels she can share her secrets with, and reveal her true self to. When Finn passes away, June finds herself adrift, wondering how her life can possibly go on without Finn being a part...
Published on 7 Jun. 2012 by L. H. Healy

3.0 out of 5 stars Highly sentimental and problematic yet strangely compelling
Back in the 1980s we had books from writers like Paul Monette and David Feinberg who wrote so eloquently and honestly about AIDS that they created a whole genre of fiction. I devoured those books. But that era seems a long time ago now. Things are different. Tell the Wolves I'm Home tries to take us back to a time when some people wrongly thought dying from a disease was...
Published 6 months ago by Androo

‹ Previous | 19 10 1116 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars First time I have ever cried reading a book!, 19 Oct. 2012
It was a book with a very interesting topic AIDS and I found it absorbing. It was not actually a tear jerker book but if you have lost a loved one recently it can pull on your heart strings. I could also relate to it as a teenager growing up and having a crush on someone. I think it was very well written contrary to other reviews and the detail was necessary. It isn't just for teenagers it is for adults. Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A slow burner with a great finish, 19 Oct. 2012
I. Islam "Immy" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Having seen the rating for this shoot up since release and I knew nothing about it, I decided to take a leap of faith and buy it.
Took quite a while for me to get into the book, but once I was in, there was no going back.

Unexpectedly emotional reading, I think we can all relate to the idea of first loves and bold teenage rebelliousness.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read, 6 Oct. 2012
I've got to say, I really enjoyed this book.

The main plotline is pretty straightforward and focusses on a young girl, coming to terms with the death of a very close family member (Finn). She comes into contact with a friend of his called Toby who is able to tell her more about Finn, but she soon finds she has mixed and confusing emotions towards Toby.

What really makes this book special are the underlying emotions and sub-plots that constantly keep the reader engaged and twists their feelings towards the characters. Parallels between different relationships are easily drawn and it is easy to relate in some way to most of the characters.

Full of drama, this book really plays with your emotions which is what I love about it. I won't lie; I definetly cried in parts, but its that amazing connection you can feel toward the characters that means its also such an enjoyable book.

Fully recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I took a chance on this book, 13 Aug. 2013
K. Wright - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Every so often I will read a book where I just know I'm going to love it from the first page. "Tell the Wolves I'm Home," is one of them. From the outset of Carol Rifka Brunt's debut novel, we are transported into the world of fifteen-year-old June Elbus who lives with her parents and sister in the New York suburbs. Her only friend in the world is her Uncle Finn who is dying of AIDS and only with him in his Manhattan apartment and on the streets of New York, she can truly be herself. However following Finn's death, June discovers that her beloved Uncle held a secret lover and she wonders if she really knew her best friend at all, as she grows closer to Toby and even more distant from her mother, father and older sister, Greta. Each of the characters, as well as the city of New York, is beautifully crafted and the relationships between each of them and the secrets they keep really draw the reader in. Additionally, the painting of June and Greta which Finn paints at the beginning of the story is almost like an additional character in itself as it grows and changes over the course of the novel. I would highly recommend this book and will be looking out for more from this author in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling and emotional......., 21 Jan. 2013
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved this book.....the story of how a young girl must come to terms with her uncle dying from AIDS....its set in the 1980's a time of great fear and ignorance about the disease....but the story is well told and I read it easily....
You'll like it.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 13 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
His was a well written and quite moving book. It packs an emotional punch.
It could be a little meandering at times and certain themes are repeated. It could maybe be a little shorter.
Despite these small misgivings it tells a powerful story.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a beautifully constructed book, 2 July 2014
This is a beautifully constructed book, the characters are believable and the story poignant . It portrays the attitudes of people to Aids in the early days very well. It is well worth reading and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting story, especially for those who remember attitudes ..., 9 July 2014
An interesting story, especially for those who remember attitudes to AIDS in the 80s. Took a while to get going and some of the characterisation is a little simplistic, but still an enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sense of period with lots of authentic detail, 10 Aug. 2014
Excellent sense of period with lots of authentic detail. Realistic first voice revelation of teenage angst and sensitive tackling of the Aids issue and the prejudice surrounding it.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful., 4 Aug. 2014
Not the kind of book I would ever think of reading but somebody recommended it and I thought I'd give it a go. I couldn't put it down. A wonderful book.

‹ Previous | 19 10 1116 | Next ›

Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (Hardcover - 7 Jun. 2012)
Used & New from: £0.01