5.0 out of 5 stars T Is for Tremendous Tale Telling
Sue Grafton is always exploring new subjects and new ways of writing for her readers. T is for Trespass continues that worthy heritage for this terrific series.

Published on 5 Dec. 2007 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars T is for too many coincidences - only okay
First Sentence: She had a real name, of course--the one she'd been given at birth and had used for much of her life--but now she had a new name.

When Kinsey's elderly neighbor, Gus, takes a fall and breaks his collarbone, Kinsey locates and summons his daughter from the East Coast. Too busy to stay and take care of her father, she hires a woman named Solana...
Published on 4 Jan. 2010 by L. J. Roberts

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form, 28 Nov. 2008
This review is from: T is for Trespass (Paperback)
I am a great Sue Grafton fan but thought her last two novels were not up to standard, particularly R is for Ricochet. However her latest book is simply great, hugely gripping and a real page turner. I loved the new style with chapters going back and forth between Kinsey and the evil "care provider". It was very gratifying that Ms Grafton brought Kinsey's landlord very much into the story as he has been neglected of late. I have always loved the contribution made by Henry and his siblings. This is a real return to form and I have bought the hardback as a Christmas present for my niece and hope to convert her to Sue Grafton. I would have no hesitation in recommending this novel to anyone who has not yet discovered Ms. Grafton. It is a true demonstration of Sue Grafton's writing skills as this is a much darker tone than her earlier novels and it truly works. This is my favourite so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 24 July 2011
I haven't read any of Sue Grafton's books for a while , so it was like meeting up with an old friend. Her stories are full of twists and turns and keep you reading long after you should have put out the light!

This one was centred around her home community and the carer an absent daughter employed for Kinsey's grumpy neighbour, Gus. As usual, Kinsey and her friends managed to get themselves into dangerous situations (it is amazing that Kinsey is still alive and without permanent injury of any kind!), and also as usual, good wins over evil.

I've purchased the next one in the series, but will leave it to read for a while, as too much of Kinsey Malone PI can stretch belief too far. Sue Grafton writes well and her grammar and spelling are almost always correct, so reading is easy and her style carries you along.

I'll be sorry when the alphabet come to an end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Old Kinsey Didn't Disappoint, 3 May 2013
Lynda Kelly "Lynda" (Shipton Bellinger, UK) - See all my reviews
As usual this author doesn't disappoint. I had recently waded through some very unsatisfactory free offerings on the Kindle and needed something that wouldn't bring me to the brink of despair and I knew Kinsey Millhone was the girl for the job !!
In this story she's trying to get to the bottom of a dodgy insurance scam along with keeping an eye on an elderly neighbour's new live-in carer who she thinks is up to no good.
As usual dear old Henry, her landlord, features. We'd all love a neighbour like him. I liked the appearance of a lady called Peggy and it would be nice if she was in a future story in this series as I liked her relationship with Kinsey in this one.
In this one I did come across a couple of apostrophe errors which is odd and the odd hyphen thrown in where it wasn't meant to be which was very unusual but I really enjoyed this story.

1.0 out of 5 stars the early chapters read like a tedious diary, 26 Nov. 2014
A. Bailey "gurgamel" (UK) - See all my reviews
Gave up at the end of chapter 8. This is 18% in, according to my kindle. My problem was that nothing was happening. A story needs a main story arch, some reason why I want to keep turning pages and find out what happens. By the end of chapter 8, nothing of any interest had happened. We get lots of pointless detail of what Kinsey has in her sandwich and what she sees when she goes for a run, but nothing actually happens. The villain is introduced in chapter 1, then you don't hear about her again for ages. I guess she shows up some time after chapter 8. I just wasn't interested enough to find out. Poorly structured. Needs some conflict up front to keep the reader engaged. As it is, the early chapters read like a tedious diary. I kept thinking why do I care about this?

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Ms Grafton, 7 Jan. 2009
This review is from: T is for Trespass (Paperback)
Once again Kinsey triumphs, but not without much ado along the way. I love these Alphabet books and if you haven't read them, start right back at the beginning and follow the life and loves of the main characters through the years. Sue Grafton has chosen this time round to showcase the plot from the perspectives of the heroine and the villain, writing in the first person, then in third person, but keeping the storyline zipping along. I especially love her landlord Henry and the "sibs", who although they weren't featured this time, were there in the background. Can't wait to read U is for ....... Keep it up, Sue, we love you.

5.0 out of 5 stars T Is for Tremendous Tale Telling, 5 Dec. 2007
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: T is for Trespass (Paperback)

If you haven't read any books in this series, I suggest you go back and read them in alphabetical order beginning with A is for Alibi. You have a major treat ahead of you. The series develops over a number of years, and many references are clearer throughout if you've read the earlier books.

The writing innovation here is to have two narrators, Kinsey Millhone, and Kinsey's nemesis, named Solana Rojas, whom fate brings together in Kinsey's neighborhood to create a taut suspense story. You will see the future conflict clearly coming, but won't know what to expect. Sue Grafton does a wonderful job of filling the story with lots of surprises to heighten the suspense. The struggle between the two women is intensified by Solana being portrayed from the beginning as being the psychological opposite of Kinsey. You'll enjoy a heightened sense of tension by knowing what the two determined women are thinking about and planning to do.

The new topic is how some people prey on others in particularly chilling ways by taking advantage of the presumption we hold that we are surrounded by trustworthy people. It's a cautionary tale that will leave you wanting to do more to check out those with whom you and your family come into contact. The book is so powerful in this dimension that at times you'll feel like you are reading a nonfiction book about a tragedy.

As the book opens, Solana is looking for opportunity and Kinsey is looking for some work. Solana has just left her last job and explains what her objectives are in Chapter One. Kinsey picks up in Chapter Two to describe how detecting hasn't been very good lately. To make up for that, Kinsey has been serving summonses. Kinsey hears a sound while she's on her way to work, and that sound leads both women onto a collision course.

In the book, Kinsey works on several assignments . . . looking for evidence to clear a defendant in a car accident, assisting a landlord to remove deadbeat tenants, and checking out references for a new employee. She also finds that being a caring neighbor can be time consuming.

Kinsey's personal life is at a low ebb. She's not seeing anyone. She's stopped exercising, and her landlord Henry is her main source of company although he's increasingly taken up by a new woman.

As I started the book, I didn't expect much. After all, seeing that two characters are going to come into contact in unpleasant ways usually makes for good writing but weak plots. Well, I was wrong. The plot is even stronger than the excellent writing.

In typical Sue Grafton fashion, she brings in touches of the moment, winter 1987, to give the story a strong sense of time. In this case, she employs the fascination with old muscle cars that had developed by then to give a sense of two points in time. I was most impressed by this choice of a story-telling device.

Her sense of place is equally strong. I grew up not far from where "Santa Teresa" is set. In reading this book, I was called back into dark misty nights in that area when threat seemed to lurk in every shadow.

The story is so successful that it reminded me of the Greek tragedies, dressed up on modern circumstances. It's a remarkable accomplishment.

Brava, Ms. Grafton!

5.0 out of 5 stars Always Readable, 10 July 2009
Cazzyann (Staffordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: T is for Trespass (Paperback)
Books in Sue Grafton's "Alphabet Series" are always readable and enjoyable, the only complaint being that I finish the books too quickly because I can't put them down! The series is about a female private detective in California and I think the books are a lot easier for a Brit to relate to than many American detective novels. The main character is quite human and likeable and has some interesting friends. I can't wait for the next "letter" ("U is for ...") to be published but on the other hand I don't want to reach "Z" too quickly in case there are no more books after that!

5.0 out of 5 stars T is for Terrific, 18 May 2014
This is a great read, like all the others, and although follows the same pattern as the previous books in the series it still keeps you guessing as to who done the dirty deed right until the end.

In this book Kinsey's neighbour Gus has hired a private nurse to look after him. Kinsey is suspicious of her and with good reason, the nurse is a con artist who has a history of patient deaths following her around. At the same time she is also investigating another case of suspected insurance fraud. Well worth a read x

5.0 out of 5 stars She's done it again., 2 Nov. 2008
Tallulah (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: T is for Trespass (Paperback)
I came late to Sue Grafton and was so hooked on these marvellous books, I read all of them up to S is for Silence over a period of about a year. It was a long wait until T is for Trespass but the book was well worth the wait. The author gives us economical writing, good plots, a cast of characters to love, what more could a reader want. Roll on U is for ....? but what will we read when she finishes Z, I shall feel as if I've lost a friend in Kinsey Millhone.

5.0 out of 5 stars T is for Terrific, 4 July 2009
M. Miles - See all my reviews
This review is from: T is for Trespass (Paperback)
What a treat to sink back into the familiar yet peculiar world of Kinsey Millhone, where octogenarians run restaurants and hold down demanding jobs.Another great adventure for the female detective, with only tantalising glimpses of an old boyfriend,whereas surely she might settle down soon,or is that only for the even older in California!

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

T is for Trespass (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Series)
T is for Trespass (Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Series) by Sue Grafton (Paperback - 6 Dec. 2012)