Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 October 2005
It's rather a bitter sweet novel over all, there's one scene at a funeral which is brilliantly funny and had me laughing out loud. On the other hand, the final scene of the book is tragically depressing and ends the book on a little bit of a downer.
The book has hardly a mention of the other regular characters Kinsey knows, so there is no appearance from Henry and Rosie pops up only the once. That said, Kinsey finally cements her relationship with Jonah Robb whose wife, to both his and Kinsey's delight, as decided she wants an open relationship!
As I say this one isn't so light and "throwaway" as some of the other alphabet mysteries but is still very dramatic and very enjoyable.
I know many authors struggle with explaining where they get the ideas for their novels. But as a reader, I often find it fascinating. Take ”D” is for Deadbeat, the fourth Kinsey Milhone Mystery from Sue Grafton. It starts out simply enough, but the book quickly takes off in a surprising new direction.

It’s a Saturday in the fall and Kinsey is in her office trying to catch up on some paperwork. She isn’t expecting any new clients to walk in so she is surprised when she finds a man standing in her doorway. He introduces himself as Alvin and asks Kinsey to track down someone named Tony for him and give that person a check. Kinsey’s not sure she completely believes the story he tells about how he got the money and why he wants to give it to Tony, but she accepts the job along with an advanced check for her services. As Alvin is leaving, he lobs the first surprise Kinsey’s way – Tony is a teenager.

A couple of days later, her bank lets her know that the check from Alvin bounced. Frustrated, she treks down from her native Santa Teresa to Los Angeles to track down Alvin. Only then does she learn that Alvin isn’t his real name. His young wife says that he is back up in Santa Teresa, but before Kinsey can track him down, “Alvin” is dead. Will Kinsey find Tony? Who would want her client dead?

Maybe it’s just because I don’t read many PI novels, but making the connection from bounced check to murder and the complications it leads is not something I would ever come up with. And yet it works wonderfully here in this novel. The plot makes complete sense as it unfolds before us, and there are some fun twists along the way. I did feel the novel stalled out a little as it neared the climax, but the climax will leave you turning pages quickly.

The characters in this series are usually very sharp and distinct. I thought they weren’t quite as memorable this time around, but again that was a minor issue overall. And maybe that was just me since we meet a group that is overly obnoxiously Christian and I didn’t care for them at all. Kinsey is still a wonderful lead character. A couple of supporting characters really only make cameos here, and I found I missed them, although I’m definitely curious where the subplot involving Kinsey’s love life is going to lead.

Once again, I listened to the audio version narrated by Mary Peiffer. She is an outstanding narrator, and brings the characters and story to life without getting in the way of the story.

The creative direction of this story will keep you entertained from beginning to end. ”D” is for Deadbeat is another fun case for Kinsey to solve.
on 21 January 2013
I admit - I love Kinsey so it would be hard not to enjoy any of these books. This one is no exception - probably not the very best but nevertheless a good storyline and interesting read. I have read all of the books before but am now going through in order which is interesting as new facets of Kinsey's character are revealed and you can now also understand references to previous occurrences from the earlier books. I love the quirks in Kinsey's character and her little habits. Missed the interaction with Henry in this book but I know he will be back in the next one. I will keep reading the series and recommend them if you enjoy a good mystery and seeing Kinsey's life unfold.
on 16 January 2016
I have read most of these books and like them because they are not complicated. They remind me a lot of the Penny Detective series by John Tallon Jones, which is a similar type of story but set in a fictional town near Liverpool in England. Sue Grafton is great at telling a story and keeping you interested, yet not on the edge of your seat. She is a classic cosy writer, and some of her books i have read more than once. this is one of her best.
Even when the story lets you down, which I felt this one did, there is always plenty of interest in where Grafton takes her protagonist, Kinsey Millhone. I didn't find the characters very sympathetic in this book and it was hard for me to care what happened to them. Having said that it was still an interesting read.
on 25 February 1999
'D' is for Deadbeat is an excellent mystery, with plenty of flip-flops and twists, and an unexpected though believable finale. But the appeal of this series, written in the first person, is beyond plot. In large part, what attracts me to these alphabetic whodunits is the protagonist's dry humor and tell-it-like-it-is attitude. There is no shortage of four-letter words and the witty comments have me giggling throughout each story. I have read several in the series, and I never doubt that Kinsey Millhone is indeed a real person: never too perfect, properly flawed, not at all a flimsy, flowery female; and so easy for women to identify with. Grafton's descriptions of other characters are vivid, juicy and realistic. I always have a sort of dejà vu feeling that I know what these people look like, how they move, even the timbre of their voices. What I find annoying, however, are the snotty remarks about smokers, as if the author had an ulterior motive of political correctness. Still, I've learned to take the intolerance for smoking with a grain of salt, and I always look forward to the next Kinsey Millhone installment.
on 6 February 2016
I have now read three of Sue Grafton's books. I enjoy her use of the language, excellent. The book is exciting all through but she does not seem to make the ending fit the rest. This is, however, the best of the three books I have read and I hope the others will follow in this track.
on 19 June 2014
All the books I have read from this author has gripped me right to the very end. The books although are different stories they seem to flow after one another by introducing people mentioned in the previous book, this I really enjoy as it just feels as the book goes on and on.
on 3 January 2014
This is the fourth book in the Kinsey Millhone series, and I feel that I'm really getting to know Kinsey, and how she reacts to situations. Sue Grafton writes some delicious descriptive prose which gives a real life sparkle to her words, and makes the story very real.
on 6 June 2015
Kinsey is someone I would like to know. Always a good read.