5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read
I was really looking forward to reading this book as I had read very good reviews. I wasn't disappointed. It is told from the perspective of the 2 main characters - Jane and Ivy. It is set in the 1960's in North Carolina. Jane is newly married and goes against her husband's wishes by wanting a career so becomes a social worker. Ivy is a young girl living with her family...
Published 11 months ago by Annette Bowstead

3.0 out of 5 stars An engaging book on an interesting subject
A good story with strong characters and an easy read as the book is broken down into accessible bite sized chapters. I had no idea about the Eugenics programme so I found that very interesting. I didn't feel the book was particularly well written which is why I have given it three stars. I found it a bit too simplistic but nonetheless it was an enjoyable read.
Published 9 months ago by Black Cat

‹ Previous | 125 26 2765 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Necessary lies, a touching story, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: Necessary Lies (Kindle Edition)
a good story, I really sympathized with the characters. hard to believe that people could be treated like that. glad that terms for people with disabilities or additional needs have changed along with attitudes. Really enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, sad but heartwarming, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: Necessary Lies (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't put it down - shows another world and makes you feel grateful for what you have. Emotional with an unexpected ending - read the short first book first - The first lie - I didn't know about it until after

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: Necessary Lies (Kindle Edition)
ANOTHER TRIUMPH OF A STORY BASED ON DOCUMENTED FACT.GOOD CHARACTERS WELL DRAWN ,THE STORY HAD ME FROM START TO FINISH.GREAT DESCRIPTION OF THE DIRT POOR WORKERS ON A TOBACCO FARM AND OF THE YOUNG ROOKIE SOCIAL WORKER TRYING TO HELP THEM OUT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book so far!, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: Necessary Lies (Kindle Edition)
Loved the characters, story and way this book was written. It was beautifully done. My favourite Diane Chamberlain so far. Wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary Lies is a must read, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: Necessary Lies (Kindle Edition)
Fabulous story and so well written. I didn't realise that this actually happened in America. It is very thought provoking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Necessary Lies (Kindle Edition)
A gripping read and a wonderful human insight into a little-known historical chapter. I feel better for having read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars another excellent book by Diane Chamberlain, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Necessary Lies (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant characterisation and insight. I love reading books by this author and this one was no exception, the story line kept me interested and was not at all predictable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courageous and Moving, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Necessary Lies (Kindle Edition)
This is a hugely moving and gripping novel which addresses human rights, morals, social class and racism; huge topics but done with such intelligence and sensitivity. Chamberlain has clearly done her research and weaves the shocking information into the true story based on research evidence. Combines history, politics, sociology, morality into a novel of love, romance, altruism and suspense.
Extremely well crafted, intelligent, informative Combines with thrilling and intriguing narrative. Do not miss this!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Necessary Lies (Kindle Edition)
An excellent easy read, the thread of truth related to the Eugenics programme in America was interesting with a slightly disturbing undercurrent.

5.0 out of 5 stars such an eye opener, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Necessary Lies (Kindle Edition)
I have no idea why I chose this book, I actually think I got it by mistake. I never knew or had the slightest idea this inhuman kind of thing happened. I was drawn to continue reading it only because we live in England but have visited North Carolina (relatives there) many times......... I'm so pleased I did, this book has completely changed what I'll be reading in the future....... Just outstanding, written so well.

‹ Previous | 125 26 2765 | Next ›

Necessary Lies
Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain (Paperback - 1 Aug 2013)
3.85