5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book ever!
Published on 17 Sep 2010 by Lizza

3.0 out of 5 stars A Dog's Purpose
Bought this book because of other reviews and because I love animals and animal books. However I found it a strange book that is very easy to put down and dip into now and then when I prefer books I cannot put down.
Published 10 months ago by Jan Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book ever!, 17 Sep 2010
This review is from: A Dog's Purpose (Hardcover)
This book is absolutely fantastic, I have never experienced such emotion when reading a novel previously! This book is an absolute must for anyone who has ever loved a dog, its hearmwarming and brilliant and you can imagine your own dog having just the same musings as Bailey! We lost our family dog last year, a beautiful black Labrador but after reading this book I felt i had him back with me and I know he was as happy to have loved us as we were lucky to have loved him. If you dont read this you are depriving yourself of a truly beautiful experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional rollercoaster, 24 Aug 2012
J.R.Hartley (NW England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'll start by saying I am a dog lover but the idea of reading a book reading from a dog's perspective wouldn't be my usual choice of literature. However, I am so glad I read this book as it really is a marvellous read with my emotions veering between warm-hearted joy to being a bit tearful. I'll not spoil the plot but what you're going to get is a view of your life through the eyes of your dog and you'll be taken through a journey of self-discovery. I read it in just a couple of days as I didn't want to put it down and more than once I put the book down and just gave my dog a hug. Absolutely lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAITHFUL FRIENDS, 24 Jun 2012
Red Rock Bookworm (St. George Utah USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Dog's Purpose (Hardcover)
Books written from a dog's point of view seem to be the new fad. Having read a few "life from a dog's perspective" books I must admit that Cameron's A DOG"S PURPOSE is a delightful, clever change of pace. Rather than have one dog observing and commenting on the foibles of one owner, we have a dog who, through various incarnations, has many owners, returns as both male and female, and experiences the good and the bad, the triumphs and tragedies that each life brings, all the while gathering knowledge that will help in it's next life.

For this dog owner, my dogs are the faithful, loving friends and sympathetic nurses who offer their fluffy bodies and try to make me feel better when I am ill or just feeling down. They bring much happiness into my life without asking much in return. The thought that these "furry people" may have lived before and have returned with a little more knowledge and insight about their human counterparts is a thought I am prepared to entertain.

If I learned one important lesson from Toby/Ellie/Bailey/Buddy it is that true love and friendship never really dies, that we often receive our inspiration from unusual places, and that all of us, animal and human, were put on this earth for a purpose. Perhaps this book about a dog can help each of us answer that question that plagues us regarding our own mortality "Why am I in this particular place at this particular time and what should I be doing with my life?"

5.0 out of 5 stars For Dog Lovers Everywhere, 20 July 2012
C. Hawkes "Livefats" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK: first things first - Marley and Me it ain't. However, and I loved Marley and Me, in some ways I enjoyed this more.

Written from the dog's perspective - I'm not using names, and once you read the book you'll see why - this is a heart-warming look at the relationship between dogs and human beings. The blurb on the rear cover gives some of the plot away, but the focus of the novel is summed up in the title, A Dog's Purpose. Dog owners will know how difficult it is to see their companion as just an animal, and this exploration of the world through a dog's eyes - and nose - reinforces our belief that dogs have a special place reserved for them, not just in our homes, but in our hearts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strictly for dog memoir lovers, 15 Jun 2012
Chantal Lyons "C.S. Lyons" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"A Dog's Purpose" is narrated by a canine who finds himself reincarnated over and over again, always keeping his past memories. He speaks with an honest and blunt voice, and there's some laughs to be had from the way he sees the world (though it isn't a laugh-a-minute kind of book). The meshing of reality with anthropomorphism doesn't always feel smooth, though rare is the author who can avoid this.

I feel like I should have got a bit more enjoyment out of this book than I actually did. It may be that I read too fast and didn't absorb the story enough - it was fairly hooking, and I finished it within a day - but I think I've just had my fill of dog memoirs (fictional and non-fictional). But that isn't to deny this is a lovely book, and is sure to thrill lovers of the dog genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sentimentality for Dog Lovers., 11 Aug 2012
T. Walker (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Do dogs have souls? If W. Bruce Cameron is to be believed it seems they do. We follow through four reincarnations the soul of the same dog. He (or in one case, she) is seeking a purpose for his existence and in each life he learns something knew that will help him acheive his goal.
Yes, it's sentimental. Yes, it may well make some readers cry, but it's pretty well written and the storyline moves at a fairly good pace. You have to suspend belief, because the book is written in the first person singular. Dialogue by humans is quoted, but of course the dog doesn't understand a lot of it. It's a delicate line to walk, but it works here.
If you think Marley and Me from a dog's perspective you probably won't be far out.
Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting tale of men's best friend, 20 Oct 2011
This review is from: A Dog's Purpose (Paperback)
I saw this book back in December 2010 listed on the Top Dog Reads list on Goodreads. I was intrigued by the premise of a dog living multiple lives and decided to give it a go. The story is pretty simple, and is told from the view point of a dog that lives multiple lives trying to understand what his purpose is in this world. Each time he reborns, he would still remember his previous experiences and he would use these experiences to help him in various situations.

The main arc of the story is spent with the dog as Bailey and the boy Ethan. Cameron would describe in detail how they grew up, played and went through difficulties together. Anyone who's ever own a dog will definitely relate to this part of the story. It sure brought back many memories of me and my dog and all the great times that we had together.

Even though this entire story is told from the viewpoint of a dog, I enjoyed how the dog is still predominantly a dog. He acts like a dog and thinks like a dog. He might understand some human words like sit or fetch but still get confused where he is allowed to pee or what he's supposed to do.

Through the different lives, we explore the place that dogs have with us. Are they wild animals, best friends, work colleagues or pets that we can throw away? No matter how we treat them, the dogs ultimately want us to love them like they do us.

If you love animals and especially dogs then you will love this book. However I should warn you that there are a few heart wrenching scenes in this book and they may make you cry.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant quick easy read, 19 Aug 2012
This review is from: A Dog's Purpose: A novel for humans (Paperback)
Admitttedly I am an animal lover but I tend to steer away from stories about my four-legged friends as they can be mushy and predictable; a book narrated by a dog definitely would not normally appeal to me. This book however was loaned to me by my sister who sang its praises. Having finished it in a day, I have to agree with her that it is a wonderful book; a real page turner. I absolutely loved the dog in each phase of his/her lives and the different animal/human relationships were so well conveyed. The canine interpretation of confusing human activities made me laugh and realise why my own dog's behaviour is sometimes not quite what I expect! I did not find the story to be mushy or predictable and although I would describe it as a quick easy read, it is also clever and thought-provoking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow starter, but worth the wait, 9 Aug 2012
Laura Smith (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I almost stopped reading this as I just wasn't feeling it for the first part of the book. It seemed to me to be written for dog fanatics! But then the story started to shape itself and I soon found myself completely mesmerized. And yes, some parts did make me cry. ON THE BUS! I should have listened to those who said it was a weepy! Great idea, original, and written well. I think everyone who's ever loved a dog should read this :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Story - a must for any dog lover or even any Human, 4 May 2012
This review is from: A Dog's Purpose (Hardcover)
This book is fabulous, I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. The first fiction I have read for years and I am converted. I can't wait for the next one.
It is funny, sad, inspiring, light, tragic and beautiful.
If you are a dog lover you are guaranteed to love this book. It even changed the way I talk to my own dog.
I totally recommend it.

A Dog's Purpose: A novel for humans
A Dog's Purpose: A novel for humans by W. Bruce Cameron (Paperback - 5 July 2012)