Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 September 2010
This book is absolutely fantastic, I have never experienced such emotion when reading a novel previously! This book is an absolute must for anyone who has ever loved a dog, its hearmwarming and brilliant and you can imagine your own dog having just the same musings as Bailey! We lost our family dog last year, a beautiful black Labrador but after reading this book I felt i had him back with me and I know he was as happy to have loved us as we were lucky to have loved him. If you dont read this you are depriving yourself of a truly beautiful experience!
on 20 October 2011
I saw this book back in December 2010 listed on the Top Dog Reads list on Goodreads. I was intrigued by the premise of a dog living multiple lives and decided to give it a go. The story is pretty simple, and is told from the view point of a dog that lives multiple lives trying to understand what his purpose is in this world. Each time he reborns, he would still remember his previous experiences and he would use these experiences to help him in various situations.

The main arc of the story is spent with the dog as Bailey and the boy Ethan. Cameron would describe in detail how they grew up, played and went through difficulties together. Anyone who's ever own a dog will definitely relate to this part of the story. It sure brought back many memories of me and my dog and all the great times that we had together.

Even though this entire story is told from the viewpoint of a dog, I enjoyed how the dog is still predominantly a dog. He acts like a dog and thinks like a dog. He might understand some human words like sit or fetch but still get confused where he is allowed to pee or what he's supposed to do.

Through the different lives, we explore the place that dogs have with us. Are they wild animals, best friends, work colleagues or pets that we can throw away? No matter how we treat them, the dogs ultimately want us to love them like they do us.

If you love animals and especially dogs then you will love this book. However I should warn you that there are a few heart wrenching scenes in this book and they may make you cry.
VINE VOICEon 24 August 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'll start by saying I am a dog lover but the idea of reading a book reading from a dog's perspective wouldn't be my usual choice of literature. However, I am so glad I read this book as it really is a marvellous read with my emotions veering between warm-hearted joy to being a bit tearful. I'll not spoil the plot but what you're going to get is a view of your life through the eyes of your dog and you'll be taken through a journey of self-discovery. I read it in just a couple of days as I didn't want to put it down and more than once I put the book down and just gave my dog a hug. Absolutely lovely.
on 24 June 2012
Books written from a dog's point of view seem to be the new fad. Having read a few "life from a dog's perspective" books I must admit that Cameron's A DOG"S PURPOSE is a delightful, clever change of pace. Rather than have one dog observing and commenting on the foibles of one owner, we have a dog who, through various incarnations, has many owners, returns as both male and female, and experiences the good and the bad, the triumphs and tragedies that each life brings, all the while gathering knowledge that will help in it's next life.

For this dog owner, my dogs are the faithful, loving friends and sympathetic nurses who offer their fluffy bodies and try to make me feel better when I am ill or just feeling down. They bring much happiness into my life without asking much in return. The thought that these "furry people" may have lived before and have returned with a little more knowledge and insight about their human counterparts is a thought I am prepared to entertain.

If I learned one important lesson from Toby/Ellie/Bailey/Buddy it is that true love and friendship never really dies, that we often receive our inspiration from unusual places, and that all of us, animal and human, were put on this earth for a purpose. Perhaps this book about a dog can help each of us answer that question that plagues us regarding our own mortality "Why am I in this particular place at this particular time and what should I be doing with my life?"
on 19 August 2012
Admitttedly I am an animal lover but I tend to steer away from stories about my four-legged friends as they can be mushy and predictable; a book narrated by a dog definitely would not normally appeal to me. This book however was loaned to me by my sister who sang its praises. Having finished it in a day, I have to agree with her that it is a wonderful book; a real page turner. I absolutely loved the dog in each phase of his/her lives and the different animal/human relationships were so well conveyed. The canine interpretation of confusing human activities made me laugh and realise why my own dog's behaviour is sometimes not quite what I expect! I did not find the story to be mushy or predictable and although I would describe it as a quick easy read, it is also clever and thought-provoking.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
OK: first things first - Marley and Me it ain't. However, and I loved Marley and Me, in some ways I enjoyed this more.

Written from the dog's perspective - I'm not using names, and once you read the book you'll see why - this is a heart-warming look at the relationship between dogs and human beings. The blurb on the rear cover gives some of the plot away, but the focus of the novel is summed up in the title, A Dog's Purpose. Dog owners will know how difficult it is to see their companion as just an animal, and this exploration of the world through a dog's eyes - and nose - reinforces our belief that dogs have a special place reserved for them, not just in our homes, but in our hearts.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
"A Dog's Purpose" is an amazing book, which is "written" by the dog.

The dog subject tells us how the dog lives, thinks, learns, perceives his world and how he sees his purpose in being close to and serving us unworthy humans. It is a window into the heart and mind of the dog.

It is an incredible book, totally absorbing and an absolute page-turner. It really is like no other book I have read and is my absolute favourite. It is enchanting and so utterly believable. It is a book to be enjoyed by all ages, it is one to keep, and it is a classic in the making.

Those of us that are, or have been dog owners (or rather owned by a dog) will love it. I think in many ways that dog owned people would take comfort from the dog's point of view and his stalwart nature. All the natural doubts that we have, when we have to make that hardest of all decisions, which is to take our best friend to the vet for that one final and heartrending visit, is handled so comfortably by the dog. Oh, if only in real life they could tell us what this dog in the book has written!

Those of you that are dog lovers, but have not yet taken the step to share your life with a dog, will also find this a truly interesting book. I hope that it will make you reconsider your dog-less home, and then get a wonderful rescue dog to give love to and to receive the love and devotion only a dog can give.

This book is just WONDERFUL and is top of the tree in my recommendation of it. I cannot praise it highly enough. You just have to read it, you really do!
on 10 February 2014
This has to be one of the best books I've read in a long time. I was feeling very, very low after receiving some devastating news and needed a mega distraction to take my mind off things and nothing was working. TV was boring, movies didn't engage me enough, magazines, newspapers, surfing the internet, computer games, playing my favourite apps - nothing was helping, I lost interest within a few minutes, but that was until I downloaded this book to my kindle. Wow, what a story, I couldn't put it down and read it in one day. Persevere through the 1st chapter, that's a bit slow, but after that - wow!! It takes you on an emotional roller coaster, real laugh out loud moments but also many tears, you will need a box of tissues for sure! I don't want to recount the story and give loads of spoilers as there are many other reviews which contain them, plus they are in the description of the book. What I will say, is that it's about the bond between a dog and it's human told from the dogs perspective and how the dog gradually realises his real purpose in life told over many years and in different homes and locations. I don't own a dog, I'm a "cat person" but also an animal lover, however the story was so powerful and compelling that if I didn't live where I do now, I would definitely give a rescue dog a "forever home". Despite how emotional this book is, it healed my troubled mind and I immediately bought and read the sequel.
on 14 September 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A Dog's Purpose is a lovely book. Written from Toby/Bailey/Ellie/Buddy's perspective (a dog that keeps getting reincarnated until he/she finds his/her true purpose in life) the book describes life at a dog's-eye level. It would be perfect for dog lovers, or animal lovers more generally.

The thing that makes the book so special is the way in which Cameron has written Bailey's voice (he'll always be Bailey to me - you'll realise why when you read it). He (the dog, that is - I can't comment on Cameron himself) is very intelligent, but wonderfully naive. The world revolves around Bailey, but in such an innocent way. For me, the best scenes in the book were relating to marriage, but I don't want to say any more for fear of spoiling the read for others.

Having said that, this isn't a book where the plot holds it together. Notwithstanding the fact it involves multiple reincarnations, it's a very simple plot, almost a children's book (in fact I think this book would be perfect for a child who wants/has a puppy). But much like the play War Horse, the plot isn't what makes this book so wonderful - it's the central character.

It's very rare that a book will make me laugh out loud. A Dog's Purpose did, several times. I can't recommend it highly enough!
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a book to curl up with by a warm fire on a cold night with your mutt for company and comfort. Every dog owner I've ever known has wondered if their current dog is their old companion reborn. This story takes that premise and runs with it, creating a compelling tale for adults and older teens that will have you reaching for the tissues.

The author creates his main characters well, all told from a dog's eye view, but not in such a way as to leave out details of the lives around our hero-dog that he would not have understood, but that affected him so much. I found myself praying for a happy ending all the way though, and although the ending was more bittersweet than happy, it was right and it worked. I did find myself wishing that the story hadn't ended where it did though, there was more story there and I didn't want to part with the characters at the end.

A real winter warmer of a book. I can see this as a Christmas film very easily, even though it's not a tale of Christmas, it is the kind of story you want to watch at that time of year. Up there with "Marley and Me" and "Hachi: A Dog's Tale"; if you loved those, you'll adore this.