Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 November 2000
This is a great story, which follows the life of a David Morgan, a man who has it all but isn't satisfied.
The book is essentially divided into two sections, the first follows a restless David as he searches for his calling until he eventually meets Deborah and joins the Israeli airforce. The second half follows the life of the two after they both undergo horrific injuries of war and how their love allows them to see past it.
I've read many Wilbur Smith books and although this isn't his best, it is definitely worth a read. The 4 star rating is in comparison to his other excellent books such as "River God" and "Eye of the Tiger" both of which I recommend.
VINE VOICEon 28 July 2006
This book is your typical Wilbur Smith book. It starts with the first flying lesson of a teenage David Morgan and then takes you through his life to his mid/late twenties. It just so happens that David is from a rich family and so can do what he likes. He does this by travelling to Europe from his native Africa to try and find his way in life. If only we all had enough money to do this. There he meets the love of his life and then everything goes sweetly. But being a Wilbur Smith book it doesn't go smoothly at all. This is where the rollercoaster ride begins with ups and downs. I particularly liked a chase section in the latter part of the book that had me on the edge of my seat. The only downer is that the story ends with so much more of David's life to live that you just wish it continued.

The first part of the book is partly set in Israel with David joining the Israeli Air Force. This made the book very relevant to current events with Israel currently bombing targets outside of its borders. Therefore the topical nature of the book (at time of writing) makes it an excellent book to read.

There are only a few criticisms I've had of Wilbur Smith books in the past like too much technical detail or rushed endings but they are not evident here.

5 stars.
44 comments|39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2001
Trust me, everyone I have recommended, or given this book has come back to say it is one of the best books ever written. Wilbur Smith has written 26 other books but this by far and away is his best. It is a love and adventure story which will make you, cry, smile, laugh and wonder at how can one man write so well.
on 21 November 1999
Wilbur Smith masterfully mixes an action/adventure with a tragic and unpredictable love story, The story shows the determination of a young man and his love of a woman, This book is fantastic!!! Ive read many Wilbur Smith books and this must be up there with the very best,This book is evidence of the good reputation Wilbur Smith has earned, as said before leave yourself many hours to read this because you wont want to put it down!!!
on 8 August 2011
Like many Wilbur Smith readers I have also read this book twice and it is my favourite. His books are so well written that you can picture what he describes such as the characters or scenery and you feel as though you are in the midst of the story. The only book that has ever made me cry. Yes I am female but Wilbur Smith books appeal to both male and female. I have read all but one of his books and the one I haven't read is his latest "Those in Peril" and that is because it has had bad reviews and I do not want to be disappointed. Maybe one day!!!
on 9 April 2012
I first read this book when it was first published and have owned a copy ever since which I have read many times over. I gave a copy to my son who has also kept it as one of his favourites. It is a story of a very rich young man coming to adulthood who loves to fly and after a stint in the South African Air Force travels around Europe and falls in love with an Israeli girl and follows her to Israel where he joins the Israeli Air Force. There many things happen which force him to leave Israel and he returns to South Africa where the story continues. It is a very powerful love story which will have you cheering and crying at the same time. In my opinion it is one of the best books Wilbur Smith has written and I have long wished for someone to put this story to film. A superb read that will not let you down.
on 9 October 2008
Having read about ten of Wilber Smiths books,I found Diamond Hunters a little bit run of the mill,it just seemed to lack the action imagination and unpredictability of most of his other brilliant books.
on 27 March 2001
on 4 August 2005
I have to say that this is a truly first class book. Wilbur smith writes so descriptively that you truly believe you are there.
Eagle in the sky follows the story of Debra and david and how even after both facing bad events, their love endures and grows.
I would reccomend this book to everyone as it is one of the best books I have ever read.
on 26 September 2000
This was my very first Wilbur Smith read, and I was hooked. A moving story, with plenty of action and love. If you have not tried Mr Smith, give this one a go first, you will soon be reading his other superb stories. Now a few years on I have missed very few of his works, and always eagerly await new titles.