on 26 February 2006
Annie Murray's latest book has to be the best so far, from the first page you are drawn into a world long gone but none the last still within living memory. A story of love, happiness, betrayal and hardships. The author paints a vivid picture of how strong the women had to be to overcome their trials and tribulations to win through for their families against all odds.
She tells how the family depends on the women, who despite having little or no money still managed to get by and through sheer hard work raise their families in slum conditions, no easy job, the women had to be strong to survive. Annie Murray manages to convey the message that then money was not the most important factor in their lives, necessary yes of course but the major theme to me was the love women had for their families and would sacrifice all if need be. A haunting book that I will never forget.
on 16 April 2008
A wonderful book, I am not going to reiterate and repeat what others have put in their reviews as their comments are an excellent guide as to what the book is about. I did decide to write something different as to how the book affected me. Again,as in all Annie Murray's novels she writes with such depth about the lives of her characters you feel you really know them. For me this book brings back many memories of a mother/matriarch who tries to dominate and rule her family. Her family almost afraid of her, I wanted to shout at the characters and tell them to tell her what to do with herself. She is however, not the main character of the book and the story line has so much more to offer than this. Like all of the Author's books I just could not put it down until I finished reading it. I also believe that some of her books like this one would make a wonderful drama on TV.
on 11 October 2007
I was unable to put this book down and had read it within two days! As with all Annie Murray titles the area the story is set in an area that I can relate to. Although set in Birmingham women from anywhere can relate to the characters.
I find that the chapters are short so you just keep going wanting to find out what happened next. Family of Women is about three generations of strong minded women the problems in life that they encounter and how they cope with them.

A reader from West Midlands.
on 19 October 2012
This book spans the decades the twenties to the early sixties, and the lives of three generations of women. The matriarch over them all is Bessie, and her children and grandchildren are trying to break away from her influence in their various different ways. Bessie is very cruel and controlling, but we do eventually find out the reasons from her early life that made her like this.

As ever Annie Murray's story telling is excellent, and her attention to detail impeccable. A particularly poignant part of the book for me is the section when Carol is in the Iron Lung. I can remember when polio was a disease to be feared.

As ever with an Annie Murray book it always manages to touch something personal either in my life or that of my ancestors. The references To Joyce working on the Trifle line at Birds, and wanting to move to Banbury to better herself, is exactly what my family did in 1964 when I was 13. My father worked at Birds from 1949 later General Foods, (now Kraft Foods) for 30 years, and I still live in Banbury today, but I am still proud of my Brummie roots, and have recently traced back my family there to early Victorian times.
on 9 August 2012
Having read several of her books on Kindle, I am still waiting for one I did not enjoy and can easily put down. This story failed completely - I could not stop reading it and really enjoyed every page. Each generation of the family grabbed my sympathy and I could relate to each one. An excellent read
on 10 October 2012
Very enjoyable a great read, really admire this author. Her books are not only easy to read but very interesting. She has a feel good factor about her stories and you don't want them to end too soon. Will certainly read more of her novels and recommend her to new readers.
on 13 December 2012
i think it was a very good story about what can happen in life to lots of women including me misscarriges babys being born but losing their life soon after and a little girl who was born with polio i would read more books of joan jonkers with out any hesetation jan
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2014
Bit boring throughout got more readable towards the end. I didn't find Molly Fox's character very exciting to read would have enjoyed it without her. Like Annie Murray's books very much but would not recommend this one.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 May 2013
A truly a wonderful story,couldn't put it down, again Anne Murray as captured to true essence of lives during the war.This one is a real tear jerker, I was sad one minute and happy the next. Each book gets better.
on 9 May 2013
Loved this book as it went in to great details of the Womens Lives through the Generations of the same family, the cruel things that were done through the thoughts of WHAT PEOPLE SAY!!!