5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry
This lady is a favorite author of mine. When I saw this book I had to have it! Lovely as a full read or for dipping into.
Published 2 months ago by MR PETER L SIMON

3.0 out of 5 stars Carol Ann Duffy - New Selected POems
I bought this as part of my daughters required reading for AS English Literature. Came within the given delivery time.
Published 6 months ago by Cat

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry, 16 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cover!, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: New Selected Poems: 1984-2004 (Paperback)
I love the colour, xfits perfectly, good value, ticks all the boxes! Just what I required! Buy one now, whilst it's this price

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkably varied poet, 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: New Selected Poems: 1984-2004 (Paperback)
Unlike the previous reviewer I wasn't studying the poems for exam purposes; I just wanted to read a lot more of Duffy's poetry. I found nothing wrong with the way they were set out on the page, and I can only offer an enormous respect for the versatile imagination they show. She is unafraid to make very personal statements about her own life, and shows both passion and compassion for the world around her.
Until I bought this anthology I confess that I hadn't realised just how prolific she has been as a writer, and it is a joy to turn the page and explore yet another idea that has struck her about life. Like all the best poetry, it's best savoured slowly (if possible aloud) and more than once.

4.0 out of 5 stars School study, 9 Feb 2012
This review is from: New Selected Poems: 1984-2004 (Paperback)
This was an essential book that I needed for Literature therefore it was necessary for me to buy it, however, there are a lot of poems in there which aren't studied at AS Level so it would have been easier just for me to buy the Selected Poems by Carol Ann Duffy, however no-where sells them anymore. So, in case anyone had my problem, this includes all the poems and extra ones from Selected Poems (as my teacher told me to buy Selected Poems, and I took ages trying to find that book, because it was not being published anymore). However, some of the poems have been alterned slightly in the way there placement; where some of them contained enjambment in the original poem, in this book, it has eliminated the enjambment, which could be part of one's analysis on structure of the writing.
All in all, this book does contain the poems I need, which is the most important thing, but the quality of the cover is not as good as Selected Poems. Especially if you are using it constantly, the edges of the pages do start to deteriorate in quality, which is why I have given four star on this book of poems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of "New Selected Poems C A Duffy, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: New Selected Poems: 1984-2004 (Paperback)
I gave 4 stars because it was fine for me to read to help my granddaughter. I liked the colour and the clean, solid feel it had in my hands.. I would recommend online book purchase from this provider.

3.0 out of 5 stars Carol Ann Duffy - New Selected POems, 22 Oct 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Exams!!, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: New Selected Poems: 1984-2004 (Paperback)
Only bought this because it contains some poems studied for AS level.

Most over rated poet on the planet.

If you're not studing for exams then avoid!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor execution by a poor poet., 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: New Selected Poems: 1984-2004 (Paperback)
First and foremost, I would like to mention that, as an English Literature student, I consider myself to be very opinionated and one who is not afraid to speak their mind when it comes to poetry, plays, and whatnot. Thus, I am not afraid to speak my mind when it comes to Carol Ann Duffy either.

Now, one might begin to ponder and, indeed, exhibit scepticism regarding my rating of one out of five stars. Well, that would be due to the fact that the 'poetry' in Duffy's collection is so utterly banal that it is a wonder that teachers and students are able to praise it. The poems in Duffy's 'New Selected Poems' collection are often described as being very thought-provoking as a result of their controversial nature, albeit I beg to differ. After all, Duffy's poems focus on supposed issues which are, in reality, largely irrelevant.

A few of Duffy's poems focus on supposed issues such as factory farming and attitudes towards lesbian relationships. Frankly, Duffy's opinions regarding factory farming are just that - subjective reasoning which should not be forced onto the reader, let alone students such as myself who wish to form their own opinions. Also, her opinions of lesbian relationships are often one-sided, conceited, and generally, nauseating with the views in question bearing no real relevance to the conventions of today's society. As such, the title 'New Selected Poems' is somewhat ironic, seeing as though the opinions presented in the collection are, at least for the most part, outdated.

Now, to borrow the words wise words of Glynn Austin, "the million dollar question is": 'Would I, the reviewer, recommend this collection of poems to another individual?' The answer is, obviously, no. The self-centred and overly conceited nature of Duffy's poetry is so far-fetched and cynical that it makes such a collection impossible for me to recommend to any person.

ARRAY(0xaa10be4c)

New Selected Poems: 1984-2004
New Selected Poems: 1984-2004 by Carol Ann Duffy (Paperback - 19 Aug 2011)
10.34