5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant and touching
This wonderful story is simply and beautifully told. It is a beautiful little book and I have added it to my collection of Christmas books to treasure for ever. I shall also be buying one for each of my three grown up children to read to their children.
Published on 19 Nov 2011 by okanagan

1.0 out of 5 stars Ordered in January, now expected in March
3-5 working days has now become at least 3-5 working weeks, not worth paying extra for as delivery will then cost more than item, disapointed amazon and put off ordering books (at least) on line! ps. cant help thinking the Christmas Truce may have lost some of its magic in March when it now seems I may get it!
Published 18 months ago by Annie G

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant and touching, 19 Nov 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little volume With A Loud Voice, 1 Jan 2012
C. J. Cotton (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Christmas Truce (Paperback)
This book is a gem. It is beautifully illustrated; no other book illustrations have ever had as much impact on me as these. At first glance one wonders wether a cartoon format is appropriate for the subject matter but just as instantly, doubt is completely forgotten as the aptness of the pictures becomes clear. It's the barbed wire that gets me: its benign beauty on the page seems to emphasise its viciousness. And then there's the poetry. Clear, sparse and gob-smackingly poignant. It hides its craft very well: you think 'with a bit of effort I could have come up with that' No you couldn't. It's the work of a consumate poet. Each page contains a little packet of condensed meaning whose economy of language is both beautiful and and inspiring. A very fine work that I unhesitatingly recommend.
Clive Cotton

4.0 out of 5 stars a little treasure, 1 Dec 2011
J. M. Dinnen "Judy" (Herefordshire uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Christmas Truce (Paperback)
I was surprised by the size of this book, having ordered on line. It's small but beautiful with lovely ilustrations. It would make a great gift for someone interested in poetry, Carol ANn DUffy or the event featured of the war time truce on Christmas Eve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Presents, 10 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Christmas Truce (Paperback)
I bought three of these as presents that were favourabley received. Very appealing visually too. I would like one as a present myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Christmas Truce Book, 27 Feb 2012
Christine Gale (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Christmas Truce (Paperback)
I saw an article on this Book in the newspaper and really loved the pictures. They were very moving. The Book is quite small and was inexpensive so I sent off for it. I was not disappointed as the drawings were even better and painted the atmosphere of the "Special Day". I am not really a poetry person but I found the "Lines" very moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and heartrending, 12 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Christmas Truce (Paperback)
The Christmas Truce combines the most brilliant poetry with a subtle anti war theme. The pathos, anger and straightforward way in which this episode in the most horrific war is highlighted to show the abomination of leading men into futile battles. A book that should be read whenever our politicians propose that we should fight rather than talk.

5.0 out of 5 stars poem 1st ww, 6 Feb 2012
David Sykes (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Christmas Truce (Paperback)
very thought provoking, moving and well written, a must for all to read of all ages. simple but effective and has punch

5.0 out of 5 stars WW1 Picture Book, 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Christmas Truce (Paperback)
A subject that has been written about many times but this book created by the Poet Laurete gives a simple and effective voice to the young men and the peace their actions symbolise.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Christma\s Truce, 22 Dec 2011
Mrs B (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Christmas Truce (Paperback)
A delightful little book, beautifully illustrated, which my 14 year old Grandson was happy to receive in support of his school topic of The First World War.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sad but heart-warming poem, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Christmas Truce (Paperback)
An appropriate read in this centeniary of WW1. Beautiful illustrations and poetry about the senselessness of war and the humanity of both the British and the German sodiers.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Christmas Truce
The Christmas Truce by Carol Ann Duffy (Paperback - 4 Nov 2011)
4.79