5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Fiendishly Fresh Fairytale!
A book about trolls? Really? Hmm...
That was my first reaction when I read the description for this book. It sounded strange and macabre and well...trolls?! But then I started reading the amazing reviews, and when I was directed to amazon.co.uk kindle edition at 1.14 a pop, I thought what the hell...

And what the hell! OMG am I fan of Amanda Hocking now...
Published on 18 Nov 2010 by S. Young

2.0 out of 5 stars Hocking's magic spell on me is broken...
I so wanted to love this book - I assumed, after loving her other books, I would love this series. How mistaken I was!

Published on 17 Mar 2011 by Slightly Hazy

2.0 out of 5 stars Hocking's magic spell on me is broken..., 17 Mar 2011

I was swept away with the magic and fantasy of Hocking's My Blood Approves series and Hollowland (the first of the Hollows series), but it seems if you read one of her series, you've read them all! As I was reading Switched, I grew bored with how much it resembled her other series (My Blood Approves, The Hollows). If you've read her other series, you're likely to notice they're all almost carbon copies of each other, just with a few changes of names - Alice and her Vampires, Wendy and her Trolls, and Remy and her zombies. Even the wording, phrases and characters were a little deja vu for me.

The stories all follow a distinct theme, regardless of series - awkward teenage misfit with attitude; only real family is her brother; suddenly gets swept away into some kind of adventure; along the way she discovers she's 'special' and everyone wants a piece of her; is protected by handsome boy in mid-twenties who she can't decide if she loves or hates, he falls in love with her and is hopelessly devoted and would die protecting her after only knowing her a few days; plantonic male friendship who's relationship makes her love interest declare his feelings of love and jealousy; she has to choose between her new found destiny and her brother, while fighting some evil people who want her for themselves...etc etc.

If you can read that sort of story over and over, you'll love these books. They're magical and the characters are fun and lovable and the story is hopelessly addictive. But, I just don't have the patience to read the Tyrlle trilogy after reading My Blood Approves. I loved My Blood Approves but reading the Trylle Trilogy just makes me cringe and I got bored very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Fiendishly Fresh Fairytale!, 18 Nov 2010
A book about trolls? Really? Hmm...

And what the hell! OMG am I fan of Amanda Hocking now. Great prose; easy-to-read, engaging first person narrative. Wendy is a fantastic character who I really thought I wasn't going to like at first (she really was quite petulant - she is a troll or trylle sorry, so I get it) but as she discovers the world she really belongs to I began to care about her, which is all a reader can ask from the characters. Wendy is smart, mouthy but at the same time confused and vulnerable. Considering everything that's happened to her life, though, I think she's holding up well and you can't help but love such a strong-willed character.
As for Finn. What can I say? YUM. Hmm...would like me some of Finn :-p

The plot is wonderful and fantastical and so well thought out. It's not a fast-paced thriller but perhaps something better...a dark, twisted, coming-of-age, political (monarchical) fairytale.
Already bought myself the second in the series Torn and I can't wait to get started.

Five MASSIVE, MASSIVE stars!

2.0 out of 5 stars For young teenagers only - and where's the ending?!, 20 Mar 2012
The plot is a fun idea, but for me the book didn't quite work. Once the heroine discovered that she's 'switched' I thought the story would get going - but she behaved really unrealistically, not asking obvious questions like why she was switched at birth, don't the people who did it realise it's immoral, where on earth the other child is, etc etc. The story does answer these questions (eventually) but the character should have been desperate for the answers and instead she just kinda goes with the flow. She's no way angry enough at having her childhood stolen from her etc. Anyway that was my take on it.

My main issue (and the reason for only 2 stars) was that I persevered with the book to the end, despite being rather bored, to see how it all ended. But the story just stops suddenly, pretty much in the middle of a scene, and clearly I was supposed to read another two books to find out. No fair. I love series, but each book should be reasonably self contained. That's why they call it a book, not a chapter... I am suspicious that the publisher told the author to string out the story over three books to rake in cash.

2.0 out of 5 stars "Switched" by Amanda Hocking, 7 Jan 2012
This review is from: Switched: Book One in the Trylle Trilogy (Trylle Trilogy 1 Adult Cover) (Paperback)
I got this (without reading it) months ago, but now that Hocking has been picked up by various publishers, I received an ARC and figured I might aswell read it. There are various reasons for why I normally don't read this type of genre/story (paranormal romance/urban fantasy for YA) - and "Switched" basically reminds me of all my reasons not to.

Wendy Everly is a fairly boring character: spoiled and annoying teenager who doesn't fit in anywhere. Then the (seemingly mandatory) mysterious guy, Finn Holmes, shows up and sweeps her away only to show her that she is in fact a very important person in a society she didn't even know existed.

Amanda Hocking has basically taken the ultimate girly fantasy and mixed it with trolls - and it gets old quickly. The plot is pretty obvious, the language is average and the characters aren't particulary remarkable or unique.

It was a quick, shallow and easy read which I'm well into the process of forgetting already. It only strengthens the (possibly unfair) prejudice I have against the genre, but I must stress that I don't really read many books like this.

Overall: Light entertainment with little depth, but kudos to Hocking for coming up with what I think is an original idea for supernatural beings in YA. Beautiful trolls? That was new to me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Formulaic, 11 Feb 2013
Just another YA novel that doesn't hit the nail, and follows the tired Twilight trail. Nothing happens in these books. There's no development of culture, character, or plot, and I think I'd quite like the couple of quid I spent on the series back. Yeah, I bought them all, as I thought the first had promise, but they swiftly degenerated into pap. As for the wild claim that this author is "...a Tolkien for our time..."? Good grief.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, interesting but not a lot happened, 30 Dec 2012
So I started reading this straight after finished another book about Trolls which made me a little worried that due to similarities I wouldn't be able to enjoy it, however where he similarity started is also where it ended. Whilst this is about trolls, it isn't your average big green and ugly kind of trolls, nor is it any form of troll-like that you might imagine, these trolls are in fact so very human looking they're actually swapped out with human babies to help them survive with privilege human "parents" - its a tradition that dates back a while and a little complicated but I guess it works, most of the time. Unfortunately for Wendy it didn't work, her human "mother" knew that Wendy wasn't her flesh and blood and eventually decided she wasn't even human flesh and blood to the extent that she deemed it worthy to take a knife to Wendy's belly in an attempt of murder. Flash forward a few years and Wendy is bored at school and what we assume a-ok other than a scar across her mid-drif (its a good job tank tops aren't ever nice looking I guess?) and her ability to well push people to do or not do what she wants, its a little spectacular really that she isn't more worried about the fact when looking at someone and thinking something hard enough they do just whatever she thought but I guess being brought up being called a monster makes you have a little tougher shell than usual people. Anyhow this boy, Finn, gets a little creepy close with the staring and almost but not quiet flirting but he turns out to be from the Troll world too and its his job to get Wendy where she belongs, back with her Troll mother, only here is the catch not only does Wendy not want to leave her human family behind her real mother isn't just any Troll, she happens to be the Queen of the Trolls! Don't worry though, Wendy does end up following Finn back "home" but it takes an attack from the Vittra (bad Trolls) to get her to run away, here is the point in the story where things get interesting but at the same time not, its why the books has left me with very mixed feelings, whilst I adored reading and learning about the Trolls lifestyle and customs and seeing Wendy adapt to attempting to become the next Queen I just constantly felt like nothing was ever happening. I think if you've read the book too, you'll know what I'm going on about, whilst we're pounded with all these details nothing actually happens and it just leaves you wanting more that is until a big attack at the end from the Vittra which isn't all that big because we're seeing it from Wendy's point of view and she spends most of it worrying and running. I think if I hadn't found the whole initiation process of Wendy into her new life and the development between her character, Finn and her fake brothers real brother Rhys and the lack of relationship between herself and her real mother, I'd have given the book a lower rating, I'm definitely open to reading the next in the series to see how it progresses as I think things could potentially be rather interesting.

2.0 out of 5 stars weakly does it, 8 Nov 2012
As stated this is a very weak and long winded ramambling load of nonsense it doesnt flow but flits all over the place a poor read avoid this one

2.0 out of 5 stars TRYLLOGY? One is enough!, 7 Nov 2012
Having never read any of this young lady's books, thought I'd give it ago.Must admit, at the beginning I was quite intrigued as to how the story would progress but it didn't take long to realise that this was going nowhere!
Wendy,a short beautiful young teen finds out she is a changeling, which to the uninitiated is a "Trylle Troll" She heads off to Trylle land with her tall handsome Trylle tracker to become princess of the Trylles. After mayhem at the ball, she becomes Cinderella Trylle and heads for home (human land) minus her shoes because Trylles don't like wearing them!!
Tryllogy? No, I think one was quite enough!

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly different, 13 April 2012
I have been reading paranormal YA fiction for a while and this book really is different. Hocking manages to make Trolls interesting and exciting shown in Wendy's love interest Finn. Wendy has always known that something isn't right with her life, with her mum attempting to murder her and her differences to her family. When Finn comes along all becomes clear and she is introduced to a whole new exciting world of her own. It is worth buying if you are looking for a break from the whole vampire romance genre or want something different. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but did not live up to the hype, 5 Mar 2012
The Tyrelle Trilogy by Amanda Hocking was originally a self-published ebook trilogy that eventually became an internet ebook sensation. In 2010, it was published in regular book format by Tor. Before I picked this up, there was already a lot of hype surrounding it but I was still a bit skeptical.

Wendy Everly has never quite fit in anywhere. She's been moving from one school to the next for years, and she had a rough childhood. When Wendy was six, her mother tried to kill her using a knife and called her a monster. With the arrival of Finn, the new guy in school, Wendy discovers that her mum might have been right.

I had seen many positive reviews for this book before reading it, and I wanted to get in on how great this series was. This book also offered the interesting concept of trolls, and how the way we usually picture is a misconception. The main protagonist, Wendy, was an interesting character that I really liked. She cared very much about her family and was a strong person despite her terrible childhood. Wendy was fussy, opinionated and most of all, loving. She wasn't afraid to speak her mind, which I admired about her. Finn is Wendy's primary love interest. At first, I found him very weird but interesting. As the story went on however, I found him cold, aloof and a bit irritating. He never really offered Wendy any useful information on her whole situation and he seemed to carry an air of indifference. Needless to say, I didn't like him as much as I would've liked. Also, he's not very swoon-worthy. There were some really great secondary characters in the book which I hope to see more of in future books; they had their own personalities and attributes which made me really like all of them. The chapters up towards the ending is when everything important happens, and there's a quicker pace from there with lots of action. As was the case with Aces Up though, I didn't feel like I connected with the story very well and the pace was slow at times. I did enjoy the ending though, and I want to see what happens next. Overall, I enjoyed this book and it had interesting characters and elements, but it was slow at times.

Switched: Book One in the Trylle Trilogy (Trylle Trilogy 1 Adult Cover)
Used & New from: 0.01