5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful
I heard Kathleen Jamie reading some of the poems from this collection on the radio, and felt very moved. The book did not disappoint. Beautiful, mournful, yearning and celebratory poems about the natural world. I'm looking forward to reading them many times.
Published on 20 Feb. 2013 by J. J. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Patchy
Poems addressing specific objects were most successful, The Moon, The Spider, Roses. The Nature poems were hard er to hold onto. The Scottish dialect poems added a distinctive texture. The title poem set the context of the collection well. The lino cut cover page is beautiful.
Published 24 months ago by Bertha Barlow

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 20 Feb. 2013
J. J. Thomas "Jojo" (London, England) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars More classic Jamie, 8 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Overhaul (Kindle Edition)
The collection's opening poem, "The Beach", says what I think happens when we read Kathleen Jamie: we are "all of us/hoping for the marvellous". And we are not disappointed. There is the gimlet eye for detail, the poet's sympathetic yet honest confrontation with the natural world, and spare, beautiful, lyrical poetry. In Jamie's hands, everyday observations become profound thoughts or provocative metaphors. She challenges us to see through surface observation and beyond apparent simplicity.
After being blown away by her earlier collection "The Tree House", I had been waiting with great anticipation for this one. And I did very much enjoy it. I was moved by many of the poems, for instance, "The Spider" which makes us shriek like silly children, which perhaps we are since "Who caused this rupture? ... Have you never considered/how the world sustains?". But I felt there was more darkness, or pessimism, (or perhaps Jamie would call it 'ruthless realism') to these poems which saddened me. It may simply be the result of intervening years and the poet's maturing vision. After all, the world she watches so carefully is not getting any better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanatastic, 5 April 2013
L. Clarkson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Overhaul (Kindle Edition)
Atmospheric, beautiful poetry. I have gone a bit mad as a result of this and bought anything I can by Kathleen. I love her observations... of the tiny changes and of the deeply profound. Enjoy! Her work gives me a taste of the wild wonderful places of these islands when I can't escape to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mature Artist in Full Flight, 11 Dec. 2012
J. Boyle (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Overhaul (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book. Share it with as many people as you can. Jamie has become a poet that I seek out. Each volume of her poetry shows gains in both creativity and technique.

4.0 out of 5 stars a warm blanket, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Overhaul (Paperback)
this wee book is a cosy blanket of lovely words and observations,,,, I think 'mindfulness' would best describe it. Ms Jamie is a beautiful writer

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong with Kathleen Jamie, 18 July 2013
This review is from: The Overhaul (Paperback)
Just get lost in her words. Her voice is visible. her visions audible. Thoughtful, present, almost smell the world she writes about.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Overhaul, 19 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Overhaul (Kindle Edition)
Having read findings,sightlines and among Muslims I came to Kathleen Jamie's poetry with high expectations. I was not disappointed. Simple, honest and direct with a clarity that made the reader smell the sea. All you could ask for. Anyone who enjoys the written word should find joy in this book and a lot to think on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful poetry, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Overhaul (Kindle Edition)
I loved her books so thought I would give this a try. It has the same powerful evocation of place.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intimate voices, 22 Feb. 2015
M. Hayward "Dr Soil" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Overhaul (Paperback)
I like Kathleen Jamie's nature pieces, so I sampled her poetry, which is finely crafted, intimate, confessional, and
memorable. I admire it sufficiently and am vain enough to think I could attempt something similar. I may well be mistaken.

5.0 out of 5 stars What concerns us all, 17 Feb. 2014
Neil Croll (Derby , England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Overhaul (Paperback)
These simple and short poems show a warm regard for ordinary people and the world we inhabit. Kathleen Jamie laspes into her native speech when she's more comfortable there than with formal English. There's always a lightness and good humour.

The Overhaul
The Overhaul by Kathleen Jamie (Paperback - 11 Oct. 2012)