5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful
I heard Kathleen Jamie reading some of the poems from this collection on the radio, and felt very moved. The book did not disappoint. Beautiful, mournful, yearning and celebratory poems about the natural world. I'm looking forward to reading them many times.
Published 21 months ago by J. J. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Patchy
Poems addressing specific objects were most successful, The Moon, The Spider, Roses. The Nature poems were hard er to hold onto. The Scottish dialect poems added a distinctive texture. The title poem set the context of the collection well. The lino cut cover page is beautiful.
Published 17 months ago by Bertha Barlow

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 20 Feb 2013
J. J. Thomas "Jojo" (London, England) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars a warm blanket, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Overhaul (Paperback)
this wee book is a cosy blanket of lovely words and observations,,,, I think 'mindfulness' would best describe it. Ms Jamie is a beautiful writer

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong with Kathleen Jamie, 18 July 2013
This review is from: The Overhaul (Paperback)
Just get lost in her words. Her voice is visible. her visions audible. Thoughtful, present, almost smell the world she writes about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanatastic, 5 April 2013
L. Clarkson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Overhaul (Kindle Edition)
Atmospheric, beautiful poetry. I have gone a bit mad as a result of this and bought anything I can by Kathleen. I love her observations... of the tiny changes and of the deeply profound. Enjoy! Her work gives me a taste of the wild wonderful places of these islands when I can't escape to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mature Artist in Full Flight, 11 Dec 2012
J. Boyle (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Overhaul (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book. Share it with as many people as you can. Jamie has become a poet that I seek out. Each volume of her poetry shows gains in both creativity and technique.

4.0 out of 5 stars More classic Jamie, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Overhaul (Kindle Edition)
The collection's opening poem, "The Beach", says what I think happens when we read Kathleen Jamie: we are "all of us/hoping for the marvellous". And we are not disappointed. There is the gimlet eye for detail, the poet's sympathetic yet honest confrontation with the natural world, and spare, beautiful, lyrical poetry. In Jamie's hands, everyday observations become profound thoughts or provocative metaphors. She challenges us to see through surface observation and beyond apparent simplicity.
After being blown away by her earlier collection "The Tree House", I had been waiting with great anticipation for this one. And I did very much enjoy it. I was moved by many of the poems, for instance, "The Spider" which makes us shriek like silly children, which perhaps we are since "Who caused this rupture? ... Have you never considered/how the world sustains?". But I felt there was more darkness, or pessimism, (or perhaps Jamie would call it 'ruthless realism') to these poems which saddened me. It may simply be the result of intervening years and the poet's maturing vision. After all, the world she watches so carefully is not getting any better.

5.0 out of 5 stars What concerns us all, 17 Feb 2014
Neil Croll (Derby , England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Overhaul (Paperback)
These simple and short poems show a warm regard for ordinary people and the world we inhabit. Kathleen Jamie laspes into her native speech when she's more comfortable there than with formal English. There's always a lightness and good humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kathleen Jamie, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Overhaul (Paperback)
I bought this book for my partner who is a huge Kathleen Jamie fan and this book follows in line who all her others, great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best so far, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Overhaul (Paperback)
Thoughtful, well-balanced, mature collection which invites re-reading. Have always enjoyed Jamie's work but this one seems easily the most accessible of her collections, peoms with which anyone can empathise.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Overhaul, 19 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Overhaul (Kindle Edition)
Having read findings,sightlines and among Muslims I came to Kathleen Jamie's poetry with high expectations. I was not disappointed. Simple, honest and direct with a clarity that made the reader smell the sea. All you could ask for. Anyone who enjoys the written word should find joy in this book and a lot to think on.

The Overhaul
The Overhaul by Kathleen Jamie (Paperback - 11 Oct 2012)