Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 May 2016
There’s a disgraced Metropolitan detective, turned private-detective, who is also the world-weary narrator. He – George Webb -- tells of a shocking murder. There is adultery, possibly twice-over, and a few more, still, of the ingredients of a familiar genre, more American in its origins but with British practitioners, as well. However, “The Light of the Day”, which follows Graham Swift’s Booker-prize “Last Orders”, is quite unlike the usual representatives of the genre. Even the degree of uncertainty and even confusion to be found in, for example, writers from Dashiell Hammett to James Ellroy is quite different; as is the setting: Wimbledon and Chiselhurst. This is an interesting refreshing of the genre. Having said that, George’s family tale sits awkwardly with the plot, such as it is, and his love-affair with a client is curious without being gripping, and becomes sentimental when it ought, finally, to be pulling threads together, even if partially.
on 14 June 2016
I got this on the back of Waterland which I absolutely loved and is a must read in my most humble opinion. Although very well written The Light of Day is a little average overall compared to his previous novels. I still feel its worth a read though and just about kept me interested throughout. If you have not read any Graham Swift before I think Waterland or Last Orders would be better to begin with as those books are 9/10.
on 18 November 2015
I have seldom read such a dreary, pointless absurdly disappointing book. If you are tempted to read this please don't. Life is too short - thumb through the pages of a telephone directory or read an Argos catalogue - at least there is a point in them. So repetitive that at times I thought I'd lost my place and was re-reading a page. So annoyed that I persisted to the end assuming that there must be a point - there wasn't.
on 6 February 2014
This book was a choice of our book club and even the person who suggested it didn't enjoy it. Our group as a whole gave it the thumbs down.
It's hard work, the story is all over the place and full of self analysis by the narrator which became very tedious. I didn't like finding out so early on what the ending would be.
Certainly doesn't inspire me to read any others by this author
There is a theory that if successful authors run out of steam they dust off an earlier discarded manuscript, tart it up, and present it as new to their waiting publisher, and this book sadly does nothing to discredit that notion. Besides being a big fan of detective fiction, I'm also quite relaxed about the action switching between time frames as the plot unravels, but this book is something else. There's a private detective, but he does little to show for it. Insofar as we're privy to his thoughts they concern his personal dilemma, and the narrative switches from past to present and back without any discernible advancement. I read on, waiting for a twist that never appeared, and a denouement that was conspicuous by its absence. Two stars for well written, but to what purpose?
on 16 September 2014
This is a well crafted love story. The details of the relic ship develops is developed is excellent. . However foe me it was frequently over descriptive, particularly the, very detailed descriptions of driving through London.
I would recommend this book as annoy able but very slow read.