5.0 out of 5 stars Roaring Success
I once again enlisted the reviewing skills of my 2 and a bit year old nephew for this one. He's going through a Dino-mad phase at the minute so he seemed like the perfect candidate to give me his opinion.

Published on 1 Sept. 2009 by Cat Mac

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but needs a story.
I love dinosaurs, ever have since I was a little kid. Any books, magazines, tv shows, films, comics, cartoons, whatever I could find about dinosaurs I was all over it. So, I was a little excited to see how my 21 month old boy would react to his new book, and the results were slightly disappointing.
First off the artwork is great and I like the idea of adding a thin...
Published on 15 Sept. 2009 by Road Apple

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but needs a story., 15 Sept. 2009
Road Apple "who brings the mustard?" (Mean Gene's Bar) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off the artwork is great and I like the idea of adding a thin layer of scaly substance to each dinosaur, my little one seemed to enjoy the new sensation of feeling each picture as we turned the pages.
The only problem for me is the lack of a story, something to engage the young observer. I read lots of books to my son and it's the ones with a story that grab his attention the most. Even at his young age he understands how each page leads to the next and looks forward to his favourite parts. With this book it's very much a short list of different animals but with nothing connecting them. Even a daft tale would be better than nothing at all.

Hopefully he'll grow to like it more and I'll introduce other dinosaur books as he gets older. I'll say again I really like the artwork.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roaring Success, 1 Sept. 2009
Cat Mac "tagatha" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

First off what I liked about it - colourful illustrations, a rhyming couplet on each page introducing the name of the dinosaur on the page (proper names mind you, we're talking 'Icthyosaurus' here, not 'Bob the dinosaur'), and a little quiz at the end. There's also the encouragement for audience participation, and the reader(s) are asked to roar at each new dinosaur we meet. Which obviously, is lots of fun!

I wasn't so fussed about the much lauded texturised scaly picture doo-dads, but The Nephew was a little bit entranced by it and seemed to like scratching his fingers across it. I'm not sure how long the stuck on scaly effect stuff is going to last, but I'm hoping it's been kid-proofed! He's pretty advanced for a Two year old (even if this proud Auntie does say so herself), and he can already identify a lot of dinosaurs, so this book was pretty much pitched perfectly for him. There were enough that he recognised, but also some new ones to learn, and it didn't patronise him (see above comments re: Bob the dinosaur). The quiz at the end was popular as a kind of 'guess who?' game and he seemed to thoroughly enjoy the book. So much so that he decided to forgoe us reading his all time fave 'The Naughty Bus' and had us read this one again!

One word of warning though, due to the levels of interaction with the roaring etc, this is probably more of a daytime book than a bedtime calmer. So don't read it to the little 'un before putting them to bed if you're the one who is going to be babysitting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 28 Aug. 2009
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved this book so much. The rhyming text was flowing, the colours and pictures were perfect for young ones and the texture added to the dinosaurs were a brilliant idea. I love interactive books.

I tested this book on my 3 year old neighour and he loved the texture of the book. At the end, there is a game to play on remembering what the different dinosours were etc.

A great book for little ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars A baby T Rex hatches out, 30 Aug. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
and goes on a little journey to say hello to some other dinosaur types in this super book from Ian Whybrow.

Appealing paperback covers open to 18 high quality pages, in the popular 2-page spread format.
Superb illustrations throughout, from Tim Warnes, as always.

From the back cover:-

'Are you ready with your roars?
Let's say hello to the dinosaurs!...
.....Swish! Kaaark! Roar!'

And it certainly was very NOISY, at the local tots' meeting this dreary Bank Holiday weekend, when I introduced this NEW book!
It was a HUGE hit!

The majority of the text is laid out in rhyming couplet style which further adds to the atmosphere of the 'read-out-loud' scenario.
However, it proves a REAL test for the narrator - I had to practice the names of the dinosaurs a number of times before I could read them out with any real confidence!
But as I tripped over my Ichthyosaur, and my Pterodactyl...... the youngest of children seemed to have little trouble with the names rolling off their tongues, chuckling as they helped an adult in distress!

The quieter guests were intrigued by the rough texturing effect this book also offers.

Example of text:-

'What a long way from your tail to your nose!
You're Diplodocus, I suppose!
Hello Diplodocus!
Chomp, chomp, chomp!......'

This interesting book ends with a double page spread of all the animals featured in a simple memory game, giving young listeners/readers the chance to answer, based on the information contained within, e.g.:-

'Now we'll play a little game.
I'll ask a question and you say the name!

Who's the longest dinosaur in this book?
Which dinosaur has a fan on his back?.....'

A slight criticism is that the main text is relatively pale, compared to the others in the series, but this only detracts slightly and doesn't warrant a whole star deduction, in my opinion - so four and a half stars overall!
In any case, the NOISE words are suitably enhanced, by comparison!

The back inside cover shows the other titles available in this educational series:-

Say Hello to the Snowy Animals
Say Hello to the Animals
Say Hello to the Baby Animals
Say Goodnight to the Sleepy Animals

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book for little people, 23 Aug. 2009
Cath B - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My little boy loved this book in which a baby T Rex meets his different dinosaur friends before returning to his mum. Each page shows a different dinosaur which is coated in a shimmery textured finish. The picture are beautifully drawn, are bright and kept the attention of a normally squirmy one year old. I particularly liked the way that the proper names for each dinosaur were used, which means that the book will have longevity. At the end of the book there is a 'test' where the dinosaurs are pictured and you're asked to name the dinosaur.

I'm really pleased with the book and would recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Sept. 2009
Romreader "pawsperson" (Gosport, Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our 4 year old daughter wanted to pick an item this time from vine, and as soon as she saw the dino's on the front there was no question in her mind, this was the one she wanted.
She waited for the postman on Saturday morning very excited (not sure what would have happened if it hadn`t come!!)and when the parcel arrived she opened it and was very dissapointed as she opened the other thing we got. Then she saw the book. Well you would have thought that it was her birthday all over again she hugged it, and made us read it before we could even sit down.
She loves the tactile nature of the pages and is always stroking them. And within that day she new all the sounds that the different dino's do eg Roars bubbles swishes and stomps and by the next day she could read the story to you!
This has been read every day since we have got it and not just once! when I asked her what she thought of the book she replied Can you buy me another one as i love this book.
So she recommends it whole heartedly and so do my husband and i. Great for any age up to 6 to 8 if they like dinosaurs either for a girl or a boy.
If there was one little niggle its that its not that long but its for little ones and they don't have the longest attention spans do they?
Buy this book I do not belive you will regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Children love dinos..., 22 Aug. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Both my 1.5 years old son and the 7 years old daughter liked this book but for different reasons. He likes to touch the dinos and roar, while she liked it for the test at the end of the book (to check if you remember the dinos' names). It would be better if this was a cardboard book, but otherwise good to have - I haven't yet seen a child that doesn't like, or at least have some interest in, dinosaurs!

4.0 out of 5 stars Touchy Feely Book for young readers, 6 Dec. 2009
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
If there's one subject guaranteed to grab the mind of most Young Adult Readers it is Dinosaurs. So when this book landed I wanted to get an expert opinion. Obviously as an adult my thoughts only count a little but when you bring to the fore a nephew who is absolutely quackers (and who's to say some Dinosaur's didn't) about the subject then it stood to reason that what he said would be right.

What he noticed pretty quickly was that each of the dinosaur's had a texture that could be felt beneath as the tale was read to him and it was something that jumped out and had him touching each and everyone as each page was opened. Add to the mix that he loved repeating the dinosaur names alongside the rhythm of the words and it really did become something special in his mind. What I especially liked was a quiz at the end to see how much was remembered by the reader which demonstrated to me that a book and time with a young reader is perhaps one of the best ways to spend that quality time together as reading is a gift forever.

3.0 out of 5 stars Suitable for Small, Dinosaur Obsessed Boys, 24 Aug. 2009
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My two and a half year old is a massive fan of Harry and the Dinosaurs by the author Ian Whybrow, so we had to get this book for him. He loved it. It is a basic, rhyming story with a double page per dinosaur, teaching the child a basic fact about the particular dinosaur and including good, bold, child friendly illustrations with a touchy feely scales motif so that the child can engage in a tactile way with the material. At the end there is a kind of mini quiz to encourage the child to learn the information in the story.

I think this is a good start for a child to encourage them to use more factual books as they are older, but it has none of the charm and wit of the Harry and the Dinosaurs books which I found a bit sad.

My son however, absolutely loves the book and has carried it around since it arrived on Saturday and we have already read it multiple times.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 year old boy LOVES this book, 4 Aug. 2011
Mrs. Suzanne Ravenhall (Fareham, Hants) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Say Hello to the Dinosaurs! (Paperback)
My boy's absolutely most favourite book of the moment. We had it from the library initially, but had to buy it, it was so good. He loves to touch the scaly skin and points out the baby T-rex on each page, and shouts 'Mummy dinosaur' when baby and mother are reunited at the end. By far and away the most hilarious thing (for me) is that the diplodocus is munching some green leaves... I casually asked what he was eating and Josh said, "cabbage!" which surprised me because he doesn't eat cabbage; until today!! I had to smirk when I served up dinner tonight, including cabbage, and advised the boy that it was 'cabbage - dinosaur food'. My god, he ate a whole half plate full of the stuff!! Thank you, "Say hello to the dinosaurs"!! Straight to the top of the christmas card list!

Say Hello to the Dinosaurs!
Say Hello to the Dinosaurs! by Ian Whybrow (Paperback - 4 Mar. 2011)