Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 December 2013
I was totally thrilled when my long awaited book arrived this morning! I poured over it and read it in great detail with bags of excitement as Tilda books are so unique, and you are whisked back to a magical world. For all Tilda fans, this is another must have book to add to your amazing collection of pure inspiration!
This book has 46 pages of beautiful pictures, and most importantly FULL SIZE patterns (how rare is that these days?). The fun paper projects are in the back of the book ready to photo copy onto stiff paper, with the beautify of which you can reproduce Father Christmas's head and then decorate his body as many times as you wish, great projects for children to do. Plus the paper ladies are fun too, big and little girls can make all sorts of amazing skirts and use the dolls to string together etc!!!
There are all sorts of decorative little pictures within each page which you can photo copy to add as additional extras for your projects, so don't miss out on those as you look through the book.
The instructions are excellent in some projects and non existent in others (I will explain more further on).

Contents

Project 1. The skating angel
Project 2. The pretty pentagon patchwork balls (for the polar bears)
Project 3. The hexagon patchwork placemat
Project 10. Christmas stockings

Patterns
Suppliers for the UK & US
Index

I was torn to give this book 3 or 4 stars. There are a few issues I do have as a very accomplished craft and textile arts lady.
The instructions are good, but what happened to the instructions for projects 4a and 4b???
There are no size dimensions, no fabric quantities, no instructions on making the roused up pillow case and no details at all for the quilt. Maybe they are project suggestions on using their exclusive fabrics, but it's naughty of them to add this project in the book and leave out all the critical details!!! I have books on quilting I can use to get these details, but not everyone has. Also to create this semi smocked effect, you would need specialised very strong thread to prevent snapping. Non of these details are in this book??!! A bit crucial really!
With Tilda you always expect that extra beauty and vintage feeling. Who was in charge of designing the Christmas stockings, what a total let down, they don't fit in with the beautiful vintage feel of the Tilda designs. They are the most boring Christmas stocking in all the craft books I've ever read!! They look like a poor after thought, why??? Plus there are lousy instructions for the quilted stocking, and no detail if you added the semi smocked/gathered look, it will decrease your fabric size, plus you will also need wadding and backing fabric for the front and back sections again this has been left out!

I just think it's so important for those who are buying this book, who want to make these projects, to get the full amount from this book, you need to have good knowledge in crafts and textiles. Some people buy these books as beautiful books just to enjoy and that's ok too.
I really want you to buy this book it and get the most from it hopefully, and have no unexpected surprises!
I hope this has been of some help :)
33 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 January 2014
Love this one! All the projects are beautiful. I am currently doing the polar bears one and it's amazing. You are not going to regret if you buy this one!
on 8 January 2014
Like all her other books they are all amazing very easy to do all of her projects just takes time to get the right . 10/10
on 31 October 2015
A really beautiful book in itself. I was so inspired by the photos to recreate the characters. Even though I am just a beginner at sewing, I found them a lot easier than they looked. I love the idea that all the patterns are in the back of the book to trace. I am now building up a collection of all her books.
on 9 December 2013
I have to admit I am biased as I love all of Tone Finnager's Tilda products and this book doesn't fail to please me! It is lovely to be able to sit and browse through and think of all the things I want to make ... and hope to make!

Love it!
on 3 February 2014
I couldn't resist this book as I love the bear on the front. I haven't attempted to make him yet. There are some other lovely projects also. Can't wait to get making some of them.
on 3 January 2014
This book was very nice. It had more paper craft in it than i would have liked, but still a nice book .
on 26 April 2014
A beautiful booklet (as usual) full of inspiration and beautiful projects to make. Some of the instructions are a little confusing, which is a small criticism of the Tilda books I have so far, and I suspect a little is lost in translation. However, it is a beautiful book and I look forward to completing many of the projects - hopefully in time for Christmas!
on 16 March 2014
This is another lovely Tilda book. I really do enjoy looking at er books, my only problem is I get carried away looking at them, so haven't made anything from this book yet.

I have most of her books and really like them all.
on 24 November 2015
Once again a superb Tone Finnanger Tilda book. So far made 5 of the polar bears...they are so easy...made in under 2 hours and look just like the book! Making the skating doll this week....so in love with these books!