5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book!! Don't listen to the negative reviews
Published on 12 Jun 2012 by J. Roosekrans

2.0 out of 5 stars A bag for All Reasons
Published 23 months ago by Flippy

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book!! Don't listen to the negative reviews, 12 Jun 2012
J. Roosekrans (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Bag for All Reasons: 12 all-new bags and purses to sew for every occasion (Spiral-bound)
I bought this book even after reading the negative reviews. I loved the designs that I could see in the preview, and I'm always ready to make another bag. After receiving the book, I would have to say that even if I did have Lisa's first book, I wouldn't have been upset about the repeated techniques. With the techniques section repeated in this book, it saved me from having to buy the first book, and then saved me from having to switch back and forth between books. I've found myself reading the book cover to cover just to learn the techniques and tips for each. I've tried different bags (not Lisa's) on occasion and might have been found chucking the project across the room and cursing because I couldn't get it to work right. After reading this, I'm excited to try them again. The bag designs in this book are wonderful and I'm now trying to find a reason to make each one. First up, the iPad case...

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovevly book, 12 Jun 2012
I received this book today. I read all the reviews before and I was surprised to see that someone considered it a rehash and a waste of money.

I could understand if one said "I don't like the bags" but it's not disappointing at all.

Of course there are some basic instructions and if you have the Bag Making Bible there's nothing new in it but even so I couldn't imagine to go back and forth from a book to another to get the notions I need to complete a project so it's just perfect to have all in one book. And hey, it's just 37 pages.

From there there are 12 NEW, BRILLIANT, LOVELY projects. There's not a single one I don't want to make, they are just gorgeous.

Plus, Lisa gives permission to use her patterns to make bags at home to sell (no mass production and pattern reproduction or resell though and this is just right) and this is really generous of her.

If you like Lisa' style you won't be disappointed at all!

2.0 out of 5 stars A bag for All Reasons, 22 Aug 2012
I waited a while before I bought A Bag for All Reasons after reading all the reviews that are posted I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted to buy it. I have the first book by Lisa and I really enjoyed the book. However I have to say I'm disappointed with A Bag for All Reasons. I think out of all the new patterns I will probably only make two!! I don't want to make a baby changing mat or the bike bag carrier! The clutch bag is quite basic and I think most people who can sew and make items don't need a pattern to make a laundry bag! I really don't think it's worth money, I feel quite cheated, I was looking forward to new designs for handbags that would be interesting. I put the book down for a while and recently came back to it but I'm afraid I'm still not interested. I do understand why Lisa duplicated all the instructions at the beginning of the book - if you don't already own the first book then you would need this info or if you didn't want two books out at the same time all the information is there again.

The market is flooded with bag making books now and there really are far better books around than A Bag for All Reasons. I'm sorry that I'm so disappointed with the book after looking forward to it for so long. If you don't have the Bag making Bible just get that one, it has all the instructions you need to be able to all bag designs that are around now.

5.0 out of 5 stars The new book is the bomb!, 12 Jun 2012
First off, I am probably one of Lisa's biggest fans (I am from the States). Her new book, A Bag For All Reasons, is one of the reasons why. I own both books and and I love them both. Both books have amazing bags that you can make any kind of way you want as both books are chock full of techniques and bag goodness. Yes, there is repetition but that is VERY necessary if you dont own both books. The second one makes sewing her bags even easier because of the spiral binding. The book lays nice and flat. The repetition of techniques all the naysayers are crying about is one of the best features of the books, in my opinion. Those techniques are valuable reference material and should be repeated in every book she makes because not everyone is going to own all books like myself. That information is important. If you feel that you dont like or dont need her book(s), you can simply purchase her patterns individually. She also has free downloads and other helpful tutorials. You also have the option to shop elsewhere. However, im staying with her. She is my FAVORITE bag lady!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect follow up to The Bag Making Bible, 19 May 2012
Sewing Directory (Devon) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This book is the follow up to the best selling Bag Making Bible which is still in the Amazon top 10 craft books almost 2 years after its release. If you were wowed by the Bag Making Bible you will be even more amazed by this book. It is a chunky spiral bound book with 12 projects for varying abilities, lots of useful techniques plus full size patterns.

There are detailed instructions and bright colourful photos to guide you for both the techniques and projects. At the start of the book there is a great techniques section as well as a guide to the equipment you will need and how to use the patterns that come with the book.

The projects include (my personal favourite) the too cool for school satchel, a tri-fold wallet, the geek chic I-pad case, the fashionista baby bag and the 3-in-1 convertible backpack. As with the designs in her previous book it's all the extra little features that make them special, plus there are tips for variations of each project to really make it your own. The little touches like the fabric designs from the projects being used as edging on the pages, and the high quality paper used in the book (it feels so nice) really make it special, the perfect follow up to The Bag Making Bible.

This review also appears on The Sewing Directory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 12 Jun 2012
Yes, this book has a lot of the same techniques from the first book, but the patterns are all brand new. This means that it is a great stand-alone book if you don't have book one, and also has new applications of the methods. I am so impressed with it, I've challenged myself to make all 12 bags.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book!, 1 Jun 2012
The first thing to say it that it's spiral bound. I love spiral bound books - it just makes crafting so much easier when you're not trying to weight your book open at the right place with a pair of scissors which you're going to invariably need at any moment (or is that just me?!)!!! The techniques section at the front of the book is largely the same as in The Bag Making Bible with the exception of a new slimline concealed top-edge zip technique, but it's still a very useful reference tool and will at least save me switching between books during a project.

There is then an overview of all of the projects available - the ones that are on my hit list (so to speak!) are the Too Cool for School Satchel and the 3-in-1 bag. I also keep eyeing up the wallet as mine is starting to look a bit jaded and I think the vanity case would make a lovely present.

I have found that this book flows better than the Bag Making Bible - techniques, overview of all the projects, projects - and it is easy to flick to the instructions for each bag as the pages are bordered by fabric that was used for each bag. My only complaint is that some of the fabrics used are so pretty and I can't find anywhere in the book details of which fabrics are used for which bag. I'm just curious, what can I say!

A further improvement on the original book is the three full size pull-out patterns at the back of the book so no tracing required. Just cut and go!!! The only thing that would be really helpful would be an envelope at the back of the book that the pattern pieces could be put in for future use - I try my best to be organised but it does go awry quite often and it would be a pain to lose any pieces - but that is just me being very picky!

4.0 out of 5 stars Printing error, 25 July 2013
After owning and loving Lisa's Bag Making Bible, I couldn't wait to have a go a the projects in here - especially the bike panniers on the front cover (my bike had a square washing up bowl on the pannier carrier!). If you decide to buy this book, please take the time to check all the measurements in the instructions against the 'what you need to buy' list - the herringbone tape measurement was incorrect by 200cms, which left me having to use my savvy on finishing the project as my fabric shop didn't have enough left of the tape I had bought - very frustrating. That said, the panniers do look fantastic. I have e-mailed Lisa about this error and have been told that it will be rectified when the book next goes to print. So, if you decide to go ahead and buy, and if you make the panniers - you need to buy 850cms of herringbone tape ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, can't wait to get started!, 11 Jun 2012
having quickly read through the book i'm full of inspiration for getting started! already got the bag making bible and havent made all that i want from that yet, but had to have the second one as soon as i saw it!
As the other reviews say, it's well written, organised and described, and the ring binding is a nice touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lisa Lam has`nt dissapointed me, 11 Jun 2012
Mrs. V. Houghton "dinglevan" (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
I`ve been eagerly awaiting this book since i pre - ordered it in feb and i love it.
Lisa Lam explains things perfectly and i love the wire binding, so much easier for me when i keep flicking through the book.

A Bag for All Reasons: 12 all-new bags and purses to sew for every occasion