5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful
Straightforward explanation of everything that is covered in the numeracy test with lots of sample questions to try. Do some every day in order to speed up.
Published 23 months ago by A Pugh

3.0 out of 5 stars It needs revising and correcting
Passing the Numeracy Skills Test by Mark Patmore.

I am a University lecturer involved in the teaching of all degree levels ( Biological science and IT) and have some teacher training input.

The Book.

This is a thin paperback of 85 pages designed as a mathematics refresher for students following the QTS.

Structure.

The...
Published 24 months ago by RJP the Book Boy

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars This actually works, I passed first time!, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Passing the Numeracy Skills Test: Revised Fifth Edition (Achieving QTS Series) (Paperback)
This is the first time I have written a review for anything I have purchased from Amazon, however I really felt this book deserved a big thanks! I was sceptical about the 'pass first time' slogan, especially since I am a real maths-phobic, but I sat my numeracy test yesterday and passed on my first attempt! It has been about 15 years since I did any kind of maths like the calculations required for the numeracy test, so I was very anxious and not at all confident in my abilities. This book explains everything very clearly and gives lots of practice questions similar to the real thing. I have only given 4 stars as I feel that once you have worked on the basics, you have no other option than to work through the same information again, at which point you start to remember the answers rather than having to work them out each time. I coupled my revision using this book with a subscription to 'numeracy ready' and found that my confidence improved drastically within about 2 weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars for the book- well and easy written with LOTS and LOTS of help and revision, 3 Oct. 2014
Well, I had problems with written pen/cil throughout the book. Company refunded in full. And with my 7yo daughter managed to clean the book. So, overall I got the book and money back. Will definitely buy again from this company. Thank you guys:) !!! for the book- well and easy written with LOTS and LOTS of help and revision.

5.0 out of 5 stars WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!, 20 April 2015
Now, before I start, I'd like to say: I struggle with maths BIG TIME. Always have and always will. I'm not exaggerating either, my parents and partner both know how much I struggle! I had in my mind that I'd fail my numeracy and had visions that I would be locked out of the QTS tests for two years.
I started reading through this book properly about 2/3 weeks before my test. I panicked. Fractions, decimals and percentages are not my forte. Nor are graphs I'd never heard of; I'm talking about you Mr Box and Whisker!
This book not only simplifies it, but also shows you the best workings etc. Along with help from YouTube and motivation, I passed first time! I know, miracles CAN happen, right! This book was DEFINITELY worth splashing the cash on in the long-term. I wouldn't have passed without it! Thank you!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Skills test is unbelievably easy but due to the time constraint during the test, 31 Mar. 2015
I opened this book yesterday evening for the first time - did about 20 mental maths questions and then a further 24 questions (out of 60 in the book) from the arithmetic section and then played games online all night long! I had my skills test scheduled at 6.30 pm today, but I woke up at 2pm so didn't get to finish the remaining arithmetic questions. So I did 20 further questions from the data interpretation section. Went for the test, passed and now writing the review! Skills test is unbelievably easy but due to the time constraint during the test, this book is perfect to get used to the sort of questions that come up. I am happy with the purchase, I would have been extremely disappointed if I spent days preparing for this exam and ended up with some other book full of unnecessary explanations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful addition.......!!!, 26 May 2013
T. Satchwell (A Tower in the Heart of London.......) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my wife who is studying Maths for (yet another...ever changing) Teaching qualification. She has found it very helpful as she approaches her exam date in June.
It covers quite a lot of ground, and has helpful explanation and exercises
Reading one of the other reviews of this....highlighting the problems of some wrong answers being published...and the "difficultly" sometimes in understanding what is being asked of you. I would have to say /..that back when i was studying maths...it was much more clear cut about what they wanted you to do. My 11 year old son comes home with maths questions that sometimes leave me high and dry.....and the "logic" used for the workings....somewhat bizarre
Apologies for venting here...this is not a criticism of this book

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic introduction and overview., 20 Jan. 2014
It does help give you an idea of the areas of maths that you need to cover, but you can find this elsewhere on the internet. There are example questions, but not nearly enough for someone (like me) who is literally having to go right back to basics. I need to practice, practice, practice and thankfully there are many free resources on the internet. I have not studied maths for a very long time, and I'm finding that this book isn't the best starting point. It's making the test seem rather daunting, and maths calculations possibly more confusing. I wanted a book so that I could carry it around with me, perhaps in time I will feel confident enough to let someone read the mental arithmetic questions so that I can practice those...

5.0 out of 5 stars Numeracy Skills Test, 23 Dec. 2013
I recently purchased this book to help me pass the Numeracy Skills Test as I have never been confident with maths and the thought of having to take a timed test petrified me. I found the book easy to use for revision purposes, the explanations given, shortcuts and answers helped me no end, even if you are a complete novice the book takes you through each process step by step. I would strongly recommend the book before attempting the skills test as it prepares you for the real test and helps you to build confidence and speed. I am delighted that with the use of the revision book I passed first time. (Yippee!! I am still in shock, since maths does not come easy to me). Definately one buy that I will not regret.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty useful for when you want to practice away from the computer., 25 Jun. 2014
Chantelle Nichols "Channie Dylan" (Liverpool England) - See all my reviews
As many people have said already, a lot of practice is needed before the qts skills test, so being able to do a bit of cramming on the bus is great. My biggest criticism would be that if like myself you aren't very confident with mathematics this book can be a nightmare due to the amount of incorrect answers in the book. After months of revision I recently began to check that I wasn't wrong after all and discovered in many cases it wasn't me but the book that was wrong, this is really bad as a learning aid in this respect as initially it totally knocked my confidence. I was actually thrilled to see on this page that it wasn't just myself that had this problem!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 24 Jan. 2014
Nameless (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I wouldn't say I liked this book but it is useful as a refresher for the skills test. The subject matter isn't difficult as it is just GCSE level but this book is useful in getting you ready for the format of the test which I will be honest is a dreadful experience. I believe there is a combined version of the maths and literacy but I just wanted to refresh my maths. It was money well spent for the peace of mind the book gave me. It also stood up to being hurled across the room when I couldn't do the mental section in the required precise number of seconds. Buy and enjoy! I passed the test first time but you should do really if you passed a GCSE.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful & Practical Guide, 22 July 2013
Mr. Ed "edsheadsaid" (Japan) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I will be doing my PGCE in the next academic year, and as such, I had to pass both the initial teacher-training tests (Literacy and Numeracy) before being offered a place. Under the regulations, these tests are slightly harder than previously, as the pass rate has been increased, and the amount of times you can take the test much reduced. Failing a test three times is seriously bad news, as it prevents you from starting any ITT for two years. Thus, the pressure to pass is huge, and both myself and every other trainee teacher I have ever met have all bought and used books to help pass.

This is a brand-new edition, which is obviously good news, as the tests change slightly year-on-year, and it is always helpful to have the most unto-date information to study from. As somebody who managed to pass the numeracy test first time, despite being terrified-of, and pretty terrible AT maths, the most useful thing books like this will give you, is an idea of the general content of the test, and the way the questions are posed.

The book is split into the following sections:

1) Key Knowledge
2) Mental Arithmetic
3) Using and applying mental arithmetic
4) Interpreting and using statistical information
5) Practice Questions
6) Answers

The biggest plus of this book is the clear layout, and the way the information is presented. There are a number of other QTS skills books which have clearly been thrown together in a hurry, without any thought about making life easy for the reader. This is not the case, and it makes a huge difference. I have given 4 stars because all the information contained in this book, and all others, is easily found for free on the internet, on youtube, and by reading forums. If you want a book to take on trains, or to be able to sit down and work through at your own pace, I highly recommend this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

Passing the Numeracy Skills Test: Revised Fifth Edition (Achieving QTS Series)
Used & New from: £8.06