5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Helpful
Published 12 months ago by tefftomkin

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for literacy exam, average for numeracy
Published 12 months ago by Adrian Adam

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Helpful, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Passing the Professional Skills Tests for Trainee Teachers and Getting into ITT (Paperback)
I brought this book after struggling to pass the maths online practice tests, I had not done any maths for 6 years! The example questions in this book are extremely similar to the questions in the tests; it contains 40 practice mental arithmetic tests covering all different types of contents such as; time, money, fractions, decimals, percentages, measurements, conversions etc. It also contains 60 questions to practice applying mental arithmetic questions and 20 interpreting data questions. Along with the answer section it gives hints and tips for working out.
Excellent for getting more familiar with the tests and it helped me get a great deal quicker at working out. It also has an introduction section which tells you what to expect and how to prepare.
I went from getting 3/28 on my first online practice test whilst sobbing my eyes out, to passing first time on my real test. A real help for someone who has not done maths in a long time!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for literacy exam, average for numeracy, 27 July 2013
Bought book as got accepted onto PGCE and only had two weeks to revise before sitting the exams. Great book for the literacy part, but not too great for the numeracy part. Not enough information and test questions re the numeracy part. I would recommend using the internet to find a website called numeracyready to revise the numeracy part - great explanations and 20 test exams.

Would still buy this book if needed, but I would also recommend purchasing an additional book, or searching for the above-mentioned website to brush up on numeracy skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Passed First Time!!, 2 Feb 2014
I combined this book with doing the online tests and found it worked really well!!!
I was shocked at the content to pass so would start early... but this book did it concisely and checked I was learning things as I went along. Would really advise!

Do note: I found some questions in the maths section to be incorrect - this may be due to me not understanding however as a rule I tend to be able to at least work backwards by looking at the answer! I did just leave them though and it made no difference to my grade!!
Good luck!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 15 Jun 2013
I brought this book as it was the up to date book and I believe that it really helped me pass the tests. I wouldn't suggest buying this book on the Kindle because it made it really difficult going back and forwards to sections. The book may need more examples or tests if you really want to revise like I did. I brought an extra book to give more example for the literacy.

4.0 out of 5 stars good buy, 15 July 2014
good help and reference

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book, 6 July 2014
This book is helping me to revise my maths and it is easy to follow it.
In English is helping me a lot because I am not English

5.0 out of 5 stars A necessity, 20 Jun 2014
This book helped prepare me to breeze through my Professional Skills Tests. It provides you with ample examples and mock tests as well as pointing out all the common oversights people make while preparing to take both the numeracy & literacy tests.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help, 11 May 2014
Oh my gosh... Invaluable help if you have to pass the professional skills tests. Very comprehensive and helped with my speed and confidence in preparation for the tests -which I passed first time!

3.0 out of 5 stars Its ok, 5 Mar 2014
After seeing the reviews of this book, I decided to buy it as I hadn't done maths for 5 years. The book is good for tips and advice on how to do succeed in your interview and for most of the main key words they are explained briefly. However, the explanations on how to do the questions are not always very clear and easy to understand. The book also has practice questions in for every section they talk about but in the answer section they seem to miss out certain questions.

I wouldn't recommend anyone buying this book, as all the information is online and I used websites like GCE Bitesize and Maths is fun a lot more to get my information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Teacher Training prep!, 25 Jan 2014
This book has a good introduction about teaching and also gives the reader an excellent overview of the QTS skills tests. After the teaching overview section, it details the Literacy requirements and terminology. The Maths section follows the Literacy section. The entire book is clearly written. The practice tests are ok. You may find them online on YouTube. There seems to be about the same 4-8 practice tests floating around online. However, having said that, I am pleased with this purchase and feel like it's a good resource for QTS skills test prep. Definitely worth purchasing.

Passing the Professional Skills Tests for Trainee Teachers and Getting into ITT