5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant!, 1 Oct 2009
G. lovett (UK) - See all my reviews
Having taught research methods to undergraduates I found this book a refreshing change to other more heavy going materials. This is a very accessible text that signposts the reader though the complex nature of conducting research, bringing the whole process alive. The style is amusing yet to the point with various examples to ensure understanding. The text likens the research process to telling a story and starts with defining and refining questions. The explanations of frameworks for thinking about the social world are to the point and Thomas presents philosophical stances in a way that all can understand. Chapter 6 is particularly of interest as it discusses various design frames and uses clear examples to illustrate frameworks succinctly.
I would highly recommend this text to undergraduates and post graduates alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starting point for Master's work, 26 Jun 2013
This is a really well written, easy to read, even enjoyable book to help get started with the dissertation process. I would say it is probably more useful for an undergraduate dissertation, but is an excellent starting point for my Masters work too.

I find it hard to read long texts explaining what to do and how to do it, but Gary Thomas writes in such an uncomplicated way that it is easy to get through, and helps motivate me for the next stages of the dissertation process.

For my MA I am using this text along with:
- John Biggam, Succeeding with your Master's Dissertation (one step further with the detail, and more specific to Masters students with some useful tips)
- Judith Bell, Doing your research project (it's a classic, and easy to see why)
- The good research guide, Martyn Denscombe (excellent, with just the right amount of detail, a bit more than an overview)

Just to point out all the books above are great, and are proving very useful, but mainly as 'starting points'. So once I have figured out my methodological approach, for example, I will then turn to a more detailed text such as, research methods in education (Cohen et al)

5.0 out of 5 stars High Marks, 2 Oct 2009
There's not much more I can add to what has already, deservedly, been written about this book. Another smart, funny book by Thomas which gets straight to the point. It is very easy to read there is no pretentious writing here, thankfully. It includes helpful diagrams, references, examples of own work and useful anecdotes - a snapshot of the Maureen Lipman adverts for a well known telephone company of yesteryear - brings the book into the 'real' world.

This should be a first port of call for students and staff or anyone embarking on a research project and is actually probably useful for those outside the fields of education and the applied social sciences. If only it had come out before I started my doctoral studies, but never mind - any new students should grab hold of this.

5.0 out of 5 stars well-written guide, 24 July 2011
I recommend this book for all researchers (especially the novice ones). It is very easy to read, the language is simple and well organized. The book is like a road map which guides you from the very beginning (introduction) to the end (results discussion and conclusion).

5.0 out of 5 stars Sanity Saver, 18 July 2014
This review is from: How to Do Your Research Project: A Guide for Students in Education and Applied Social Sciences (Paperback)
The fact that I've never felt compelled to review anything on Amazon other than this book says magnitudes of what I think of it. If you are a higher-level student in the social sciences who leans towards the more professional end of the research spectrum, this book is probably not for you. It does not go into minute detail about the various aspects of academic research, nor does it present revolutionary ideas about how to gather information or avoid plagiarism. Rather, I feel that Gary Thomas presents the core aspects of research, but gives the student the confidence and curiosity to tailor the approach to his/her individual project.

Gary Thomas resists the urge to over-load the book with superfluous information, a frustrating problem I encountered when searching for other research guides. One part of the book's layout I greatly appreciate is the beginning of each chapter, which has a chart showing how the particular chapter fits into the layout of the research paper (i.e. Internet research strategies corresponds to the literature review). Also, the end of each chapter has a checklist summarising the main tips he gives.

It should be noted this book is geared towards British students; North American and Continental European students will probably be unfamiliar with some of his academic terminology and website recommendations. Gary Thomas' own research area is education, and he more or less has that discipline monopolise all the recommendations and examples in the book. My one complaint is that I would have liked to see him mention tips for other social science disciplines like political science and history.

I have yet to complete my own research project, so the jury is still out on whether this book will help me get the grade I am aiming for. I can say for certain that some of the sanity-saving tips he provides (like breaking down the project into week-by-week chunks) are worth the cost of this book. I would not like to think where I would be in my research project if I hadn't found this book as my trusty guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for researchers, 24 July 2009
J. Prosser (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
It's difficult to pin down what I liked about the book. I liked the style which is clear and informative, the short anecdotes and humour, and the contents since it seems to cover the really important stuff. I kept smiling to myself since the book is crammed full of the 'craft' of doing research so maybe this book is as much for supervisors as it is for students. But what I liked most was the clear portrayal of complexity. It gives access to the subtle and the difficult aspects of doing research - that is, the revelation of the complexity.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book helped me get better and better!, 20 April 2012
I loved this book! From achieving 50% at Level 1 without it - I recently received a 72% mark for my level 3 research assignment, which is an excellent result for me personally. This was due to the ease of reading and understanding of the writing. It provides all the essential theory and practice examples for a successful project, but it is done with such humour, it was a pleasure to read. A breath of fresh air when one considers the necessary but often eye-glazing texts we have to read in the social science world! Watch out for laugh out loud moments about libraries and the "ologies" of the famous ad! If you have a research assignment to do, whatever level you are studying at, get this book. It is worth every penny and you will not regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket, 21 Mar 2011
Frances Hynd (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book has been a great help to me writing a dissertation for an MSc. It is clear, concise and the writer makes what is potentially a dry subject interesting and funny at times which was a good reminder that this process can be an enjoyable experience. The reality check I was needing!

5.0 out of 5 stars must-have book!, 27 Feb 2011
This is an excellent book for those struggling with thesis writing. Thomas is one of the few books that is easy to read, set out clearly and written in a colloquial style (ie one you can understand!) rather than an academic one. The cartoons are fun, and he really helped me de-bunk the mysteries of all those "isms". The book arrived really quickly too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great condition book exactly as described, 23 Oct 2011
Great product really fast delivery, I'm finding it an easy book to read and use alongside doing a research project. Really well set out in a step by step way