5.0 out of 5 stars I think I am finally 'getting' statistics
I have had a fear of numbers since school, as my teacher showed little patience towards those of us who found statistics harder than the A grade students.

Published 14 months ago by Fallen Angel

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
The author is funny but his style is quite distracting when you need to get to the point.
Published 1 month ago by Mrs M J Le Grand Rosales

5.0 out of 5 stars I think I am finally 'getting' statistics, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: Discovering Statistics using IBM SPSS Statistics (Paperback)

As part of my psychology degree I have been forced to confront this fear. The modules at university have been dry to say the least, and this certainly makes learning more challenging. I was recommended this book and it has made statistics much more, dare I say, 'fun' for me to learn. My confidence is gradually growing; I thought it might be that I am just not intelligent enough to understand all this, but the book is proving me wrong :)

I don't think statistics comes easy to me and I am having to re-read bits of the book to remember different concepts as there is a lot of learn but I have no doubt that it will sink in. This is not a reflection on the book or the way it is written by the way, it is just me having trouble with retaining lots of information.

The book is great; it goes through statistical concepts and analyses starting from 1st year undergraduate to 3rd year and beyond, so things get more challenging as you go through the book. It also helps you learn how to use SPSS, which isn't overly complicated once you know your way around it, and Andy gives some humorous examples when explaining different statistical concepts which make the reading a lot easier. I would highly recommend this book to undergraduate students and postgraduate. Also check out Andy's website 'statistics hell' which has video tutorials and handouts which are equally as useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 22 Jun 2013
I enjoyed the book. The language is very nice and the book covers almost every aspect of SPSS I need for my research. I'm MD and PhD (20 articles as a first author). The book is highly recommended both for beginners and for advanced users. Good job, Andy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good way around the numbers in statistics!, 29 Jun 2013
I think the book delivers exactly what it promises. There's no magic or mumbo jumbo, but a good straight forward way of describing what is what and what can be done in certain situations, as well some good examples for Psychology.

It has a certain amount of humour in it too - which is really good considering the topic and how most of us feel about it.

All in all great....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 8 Jan 2014
As every work by Andy Field, this is a great book for learning statistics with a dose of humour and light illustrative writing. Delivered on time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for psych students, 22 Nov 2013
I hate statistics but this book actually made them bearable. Funny and easy to read, plenty of useful excercises and helpful hints

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 15 Nov 2013
Well written book for entry level and advanced SPSS users. Nice stories and good explanations of the base statistical methods.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful book for understanding daunting stats, 4 Nov 2013
Stats is boring but at least this helps us understand what is going on a bit. Also very helpful tips for using SPSS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its extremely user friendly!, 4 Dec 2013
Andy Fields is quite something. His approach to introducing both simple and more complex statistical concepts is quite unique. This book will be useful for undergrads, postgrads and PhD students alike. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 25 Nov 2013
Explains everything so well. I have the hard copy, happy to pay again for the kindle it is so good. Andy Field is a legend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Masters courses!, 1 Nov 2013
I bought Andy Field 'Discovering Statistics using SPSS' at the beginning of my Psychology masters (MSc Health Psychology) course. It has definitely been money well spent! As someone who is not completely confident with the quantitative/SPSS based aspects of Psychology this book has been incredibly useful.

Also, given that statistics can be a bit of a dry subject at times - I've found the Andy Field book really engaging and feel that I'm actually understanding and learning, instead of just flicking through and looking for instructions to copy into SPSS! Would definitely recommend to postgraduates as well as undergraduates.

Discovering Statistics using IBM SPSS Statistics
Discovering Statistics using IBM SPSS Statistics by Andy Field (Paperback - 31 Mar 2013)