Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 October 2013
This book is more about the 'technical' side of coding - it is a "manual" describing the varied ways of coding which the author has identified in the literature. However, there is little talk of methodology in the broadest sense, e.g. the epistemological and ontological commitments that shape research, including analysis. The author draws heavily from grounded theory, and appears to be a realist which shapes his understanding and presentation of coding. The "second cycle" coding methods are about focused, axial and theoretical coding - with a scattering of other methods like longitudinal coding discussed too. Those who work from critical, richly interpretivist and hermeneutic perspectives may struggle with the static and formulaic presentations of getting to the truth of the data.

Ultimately, whilst I didn't realise that there were so many ways to drag and drop text using CAQDAS (and I didn't know what different methods were called - which is why I reference the book in my publications), I found the book frustrating to use because I couldn't find the right coding method for my methodology and research design, despite dozens of coding strategies reviewed with appropriate-sounding names.

I give this book 3 stars out of 5, but please note that I'm a researcher with a PhD at a UK university. My review is based on my needs and understandings, but lecturers teaching research students how to code may find the book useful as an introduction. It is well-written, offers definitions of coding and reasons to code, and offers readers a glossary and references for further reading.
on 10 September 2013
Then buy this book!

Saldana writes in a usefully detailed, but not patronising way, to provide clear advice on how to code qualitative data. He gives very detailed examples and analysis of when different techniques are being coded.

What I liked most about the book was:

1) Clear organisation made it easy to follow and dip in and out of
2) He is open to the book not being a specific 'how to guide' i.e. he tells you what you COULD do and gives you the knowledge to DECIDE what to do for your research.

It is probably one of a kind in terms of scope and coverage on a tricky topic to get to grips with.

N.B. Read with Qualitative Data Analysis by Miles, Huberman and Saldana will form a very authoritative set of reference texts.
on 26 November 2013
Gives you the low down of every possible coding type you might ever consider, and usefully gives you an indication of the methodologies that *might* adopt that coding approach. Walks through first and second phase coding too.
on 10 May 2014
I did an in-depth interview study for my masters dissertation (my first attempt at qualitative research). This book was a great reference for understanding what coding is and is not all about. The level of detail was obviously unnecessary for my project, but I used this book as a great reference. If you're, like me, not a research student and just doing a project for a different degree, I found most of what I needed to know in Successful Qualitative Research: A Practical Guide for Beginners. But I liked Saldaña's book very much.
on 11 August 2013
This manual is a very useful reference for the seemingly daunting task of coding qualitative data for undergrad research. I've dipped into it as a guide many many times just to check that I'm doing something right or if I'm determined to find a technique that will tease more out of the data I've collected. It's written in a simple, clear way that doesn't intimidate and allows you to take what you want from it. It's useful for those that have never coded before too with its many tips and explanations that act as a very good introduction into qualitative research.
on 6 October 2013
This book contained explanations and practical examples for my research project and has helped me to pinpoint exact requirements from a range of possibilities.
on 7 March 2013
Saldana's detailed discussions of coding methods helped me get started on my research quickly. He has very useful tips for each stage of the research.
on 23 November 2014
I consider this book as a tool or a manual for coding. Unfortunately, it did not meet my needs. I thought it will cover more the methodology part which is very crucial if you are writing a paper or doing your PhD work.
on 19 December 2015
This is a little on the technical side but fairly accessible - If your using such strategies in your data analysis, it's worth a skim read. Well laid out so that you can be selective.
on 13 May 2014
Highly recommend if you want to learn more about coding!
easy to read! Good guidebook with many good examples!
Well worth!