5.0 out of 5 stars You're a Bad Man Mr Gum
This book is so funny and mad we loved it! When we got my dad to read it out loud he started crying with laughter and couldn't speak. A great laugh!
Published on 29 Aug 2006 by C. Pocock

2.0 out of 5 stars MR GUM!
This book was amazing and I couldn't put it down its such a page turner ! I couldn't wait to read the other books! I think that this series for ages 5/4 -13 all of the illustrations are amazing funny and I love how they just contain nonsense that doesn't make sense to us
Published 18 months ago by Robin Weber

5.0 out of 5 stars You're a Bad Man Mr Gum, 29 Aug 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 28 Feb 2011
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
It is not often that a book makes me laugh out loud, and even less often that it is a children's book, but having just finished reading You're a Bad Man Mr. Gum to my children I can testify that it had me in stitches to the point where I actually had to stop reading for a few minutes to compose myself.

This is a stupidly funny adventure about the grim Mr. Gum, who is rather like Mr. Twit but more erudite. Mr. Grim has to keep his garden tidy even though he hates being tidy, because if he doesn't, a bad tempered fairy smashes him round the head with a frying pan. Mr. Gum's life gets considerably more painful when Jake the huge dog takes a liking to his garden and decides to play in it. Mr Gum has to take his revenge on Jake.

There are silly jokes and daft puns and stupid characters, but the main thing I loved, and which I found funny and highly original, was the wonderful way Stanton uses language in this book. He uses a very colloquial form, which works brilliantly and just makes the whole book accessible and funny.

The book has really dynamic illustrations and not too many words on the page for those children who may be struggling with the weight of words on a page, but who want to gravitate towards something more challenging than standard picture books. I loved it, and so did my 11, 7 and 4 year old.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to hook your child on books, 4 Dec 2006
L. Hutt (Buckinghamshire UK) - See all my reviews
Antony (8) is a good but reluctant reader. We always have to ask him to read and despite lots of research into good storylines, we hadn't found a book that Antony was enthusiastic to pick up. Until Mr Gum. This really hit the spot with his sense of humour and gave him something to laugh about on nearly every page. The thing I love about this book is that there is only avg 10 lines per page (160 pages total), so the child makes fast progress through what seems like a thick book. They are really pleased with the number of pages they have read and this gives them a real sense of achievement. The best bit is the bonus story at the end. My 9 year old daughter read it in 2 nights and has asked me to pre-order the next book due out in Feb 2007. Cannot recommend enough. Well done Andy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Giggle, 5 Aug 2006
If all childrens' books were this giggly, then I wouldn't have got to the adult ones yet because I'd still be happily working my way through books like this.

It's got big jokes, little jokes, jokes that you don't realise are jokes unless you pay attention, jokes that hit you over the head and say 'look at me, I'm a joke!'

Get it, and a few spares just in case one of them dies on the way home.

Looking forward to book 2...

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny for kids, hilarious for adults, 11 Aug 2006
A cracking, lunatic, fast-paced, comic masterpiece. Terrifically witty, insane, stupid, clever and cheap. If everyone has a book in them waiting to get out, I hope mine is half as good as this.

Buy it. Read it. Laugh out loud. Then give it to your kids and watch them do the same.

Great stuff. And I even like the cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shabba-tastic!, 22 Aug 2008
There is marital disharmony in our house since these books first entered our lives. We argue over who is putting our daughter to bed because we BOTH want to read the next few chapters to her! Forget the kids! These books are great! 6 year old daughter also adores the books and thinks Andy Stanton is mad and funny. She has just re-read all the books to herself and can't wait for the next one. Her new party trick is reciting Polly's name in full. Read it, you'll understand. See Also:Mr Gum and the Biscuit Billionaire Mr. Gum and the Goblins Mr Gum and the Power Crystals

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever read, 20 Jan 2009
Neil Dudley (UK) - See all my reviews
This is such a good book. Its so funny. My 9 year old daughter really loved it and couldnt stop laughing at the way Andy Stanton wrote about Mr Gum and how he mixes everything up. It was a joy to read as you just didnt know what was going to happen next. We cant wait to read some of the others. The best childrens writer since Roald Dahl. Absolutely brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Gum talks!, 17 Aug 2007
Joan Keating (London) - See all my reviews
We've had this CD a little over a week. My three children (2 boys aged 9 and 8 and a girl aged 6) can recite huge chunks of it. They already loved the Mr Gum books but this adds a whole new dimension. There are songs to be sung (don't forget the ostrich noises!) and sound effects to marvel at. I wondered how the title would work in audio, given that the books are such visual treats but I needn't have feared. My three have listened to it in the car but also, and this is rare with an audio book, in the house. I am hoping that the other two Mr Gum titles will quickly follow in audio.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really funty story! Reviewed by Jay Class, 11 Jun 2013
J. Munro "Jae Munro" (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a story about Mr Gum who is a very bad man who hates children! We, in Jay Class, thought that the story was fantastic and funny (or funty). We loved the bits with the entrails in. They made good missiles. We liked the present that Jake, the big whopper of a dog, left on Mr Gum's garden (poo!). The story made us feel happy and alive. You must read it NOW!!! In Jay Class, we have all found out that THE TRUTH IN A LEMON MERINGUE!! Go and buy this book right now.

From Jay Class, St.Philips Primary school, Bath

5.0 out of 5 stars GENIUS!!, 5 May 2009
We purchased the CD AUDIO version to listen to in the car -

Right from the start, Andy Stanton (who narrates), had my 4 children (aged 4 - 10) in hysterical laughter, not to mention myself and my 38 year old husband!

The author's passion & sense of humor are true genius to listen to.
Such an original style of writing, the story is an absolute joy.

In fact, when we reached our destination, we stayed in the car for an extra 15 minutes, just to listen to the end of the story!

Brilliant, Brilliant...........

You're a Bad Man, Mr Gum
You're a Bad Man, Mr Gum by Andy Stanton (Audio CD - 6 Sep 2012)
Used & New from: £2.99