5.0 out of 5 stars Patricia Cornwell Back to her Best
Published 22 months ago by ACB (swansea)

2.0 out of 5 stars Same old same old.....
Published 21 months ago by Casper

2.0 out of 5 stars Same old same old....., 28 Nov 2012
Casper (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I was hoping that Ms Cornwell had broken away from the template she has adhered to for the last few books. Employee betrays trust placed in them by Scarpetta. Lucy and other family members keep secrets from Scarpetta. Marino betrays Scarpetta. Animal interest, this time Shaw rather than Sock. I really do not need another blow by blow floor tile by floor tile description of the Scarpetta HQ building either. I've read all Cornwells' other books and I'm afraid this will probably be the last, unless something changes. Sorry but this was predictable and tedious.

2.0 out of 5 stars The End is Nigh!, 18 Dec 2012
I have read all the Cornwell books and thoroughly enjoyed them until about 3 books ago. I agree the another reviewer, and will not be giving away the plot - the angst did it. If Ms Cornwell wants to write a book about a paranoid middle aged woman then she should do it and not ruin our enjoyment of Kay Scarpetta and her life. Not sure if i will ever be going back to Ms Cornwell unless she gets back to basics, lots of bones, lots of intrigue, lots of Lucy and Marino and less of the 'does my bottom look big in this stuff'. I do enough of that myself!

2.0 out of 5 stars Who Cares Anymore, 13 Dec 2012
I used to love Kay Scarpetta novels but those days, I fear, are long gone. There is no doubt that Patricia Cornwall can write, but I no longer feel she is a storyteller. However, my review may be tainted by the fact that I can no longer find a character in the book to either like or care about. They are all totally non-sympathetic. I found myself thinking "who cares about these people, they're all getting on my nerves" so regardless of whether or not the story is any good, and it is ok, I just didn't care. I've been buying these books out of some sort of habit or loyalty to the earlier stories, I will stop now. If Kay Scarpetta were a real person and I ever met, I'm sure I couldn't spend longer than 10 minutes in her company without wanting to slap her!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not s good as expected, 28 Dec 2012
To be honest I have not particulrly enjoyed her last few books and with this one I still never felr particularly riveted. If I had been at home rather than holiday I might have abandoned it

2.0 out of 5 stars Bogged down in angst, 5 Dec 2012
Alec (Letchworth Garden City, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I normally like the Kay Scarpetta books by Patricia Cornwell but as of late they have been too top heavy in personalised angst that in my opinion has begun to interfere with the main story and in this book it goes way over the top and really becomes the story. The actual murder business and the science of it all was as always first class but let down by the rest of the interpersonal mayhem between Scarpetta and the FBI/Defence lawyers etc etc etc. The tortuous interpersonal bickering went on and on and for me it became all too tedious and I longed for the simpler earlier books where the hunt (scientific) was always the no 1 priority. A poor ending and the culprit is only revealed briefly at the end. A tad disappointing all round. Come on Cornwell, let Kay, Lucy and Marino settle in a job where they are not the instant enemies of the FBI CIA Police or each other and get down to solving a crime by their intellect and make the next books less reliant on interpersonal relationships which have now become the tail wagging the dog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patricia Cornwell Back to her Best, 19 Oct 2012
ACB (swansea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is a captivating novel, arriving earlier than expected and disrupting sleep pattern. The reason is that it keeps the suspense and interest flowing throughout. Wanting to know the next point of thrilling tension locks the reader in. Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta is right back into the heady drama of investigative forensic science. A mysterious e-mail and video arrive taunting her to examine the case of a palaeontologist who is missing and later found dead in Alberta after studying a dinosaur bed of bones. Kay finds this is just a link with other sinister and macabre murders that point to a relentless killer. The details of the discovery and circumstances of the fatalities are for Kay to find out. These challenges are not without danger. They take her on her many travels. Resolving the mysteries the bodies that are found in such odd situations (attached to a turtle, pulled out of rivers), puts Kay onto the scent of something more sinister.

Meanwhile, partner Marino seems to have resorted to an alcoholic relapse of bizarre vodka drinking whilst Kay's husband, Benton, gives out signals he may have made a new aquaintance. Niece Lucy continues with her data skills but is behaving oddly; puzzled, keeping secrets from her aunt and talking in an uncharacteristic way. Is there something amiss? Where has she acquired an expensive piece of jewellry from? These all add to the relentless exploration of the main protagonist's pursuit of the truth, adding to the narrative. Kay turns to an old psychologist friend, Anna Zenna, for support in her troubles. Who is the villain and why?

This is a compelling book and difficult to put down. It keeps the momentum and pace running at speed from the opening. I enjoyed her last novel but this is a step-up to Scarpetta and hence Patricia Cornwell towards their best. A joy to read and difficult not to award top marks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Last one for me, 5 Dec 2012
Dave (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With apologies to all Patricia Cornwell fans I did not enjoy this at all. This is one in a series of Kay Scarpetta books. Scarpetta is supposed to be a forensic genius but there was not a lot of that genius on show in this near 11 hour audio book.

The story was padded out with over blown flowery descriptions of nearly everything that it was possible to mention. At one point in the book there was a remark that a picture is worth a thousand words. I am sure Ms Cornwell believes that and wrote many thousands of unnecessary words in this audio book.

There was no direction to the plot and it seemed secondary to the ups and downs of the relationships between the main characters. Finally with the last CD of ten just about to end the murderer was revealed. This was not by any detective or forensic work but by an improbable set of circumstances set up by Scarpetta's incredible niece who just happens to be brilliant, owns a estate and mansion, a twin rotor helicopter, rides Harley Davidsons and also happens to have a few Italian supercars on hand and is a lesbian. After this improbable ruse the story just then fizzled out and I then decided that this was the last Patricia Cornwell for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Better read than listened to..., 4 Jan 2013
Mr. Stephen Redman (York England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This excellent package of 10 cd's from Patricia Cornwell is appetising and offers so much...except for the droning sound of the American voice that reads it. My wife walked in the room and summarised things perfectly by asking whether they had used a computer generated voice? I love American voices, but this lady is not a good example! The voice is probably very good if you are American, which is of course the big market, but for the Brit's this is a mistake.

So, the content is barely heard for the accent, but what was heard was very good; but by disk 2, I was pulling my hair out.

I persisted to give a fair review but every single disk is tarnished by the same lack of enthusiasm. The voice has very little emotion and made the experience a tiresome one.

I am sure that this would be a great book to pick up and read, but one of the most dissapointing audiobooks that I have ever listened to.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Good, 8 Nov 2012
This was a huge disappointment, Scarpetta is self absorbed, arrogant and worst of all quite boring. Lengthy descriptions but not much of an actual story. I cannot recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truthfully Amazing!, 18 Oct 2012
Miss Ava Greenall "Ava'sWonder" (Clitheroe,Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
Imagine a stressed, mother of five, switching on her Kindle and spotting the latest Patricia Cornwell novel has downloaded days before it was meant to! My jaw dropped and all previously arranged appointments were cancelled..and then a small nagging voice(my own not a small childs)whispered "what if you don't like it?"..

I shouldn't have worried. Scarpetta 20 is wonderful! The story, written in the first person, is tightly plotted and feels reminiscent of Postmortem. Each of the now familiar main protagonists Kay, Benton, Marino and Lucy were all there and love em or hate em were all back to the way I remember them from years gone by.

The story focuses on the mysterious disapearance of a female palaeontologist, which is brought to the attention of Kay Scarpetta by an anonymous email with an attached clip of a video showing, amongst other things, a bloody human dismembered ear sitting on a page of newspaper.

As the story progresses we watch Scarpetta retrieve a body from the sea that had become entangled with a Turtle(a dying species),battle with the bureaucracy of the US legal system, fight the age old female problem of becoming older and less physically attractive(at least in our minds!)and grapple with all the new forensic techniques that enable her to listen to what the dead have to say.

Scarpetta has become happier(shes cooking again,hurrah!!)and less introspective which gives this whole book a lift and I couldn't put it down.

I just want to thank Patricia, for ignoring as much of the criticism that has been thrown at her in recent years as possible, and that you have carried on writting through it all. Reading this I can see that you have taken on board some of the more constructive criticism that fans have been able to offer and then produce this wonderful piece of writting.

I'm sure others will produce a far more eloquent synopsis of this book but I really have to say that after staying up all night reading The Bone Bed I thoroughly loved it! The most fun i've had between the sheets in along time!

Well Done and Thankyou, Ava x

The Bone Bed
The Bone Bed by Patricia Cornwell (Audio CD - 25 Oct 2012)
Used & New from: 2.99