3.0 out of 5 stars History progresses... a bit..., 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: The London & Blackwall Railway: Docklands' First Railway (Paperback)
I have long been an aficionado of this strange little railway backwater. Its evolution from the loco-free rope-hauled incarnation, its minor migrations from Minories to Fenchurch Street, fill me with a particular joy. It was this joy that was activated when I saw this title was available... a joy that was short-lived...

The title of the book is 'The London & Blackwall Railway". In reality, it should have been 'The London & Blackwall Railway; Then & Now'. For me, there is far too much of the DLR; a fair portion of the book is given over to colour images of the line (nice if you like that kind of thing, but not for me). This is particularly galling when the DLR accounts for half of the last line in the back blurb.

I was hoping that something would arrive that pulls together the excellent work of such precursors as 'The London & Blackwall Railway' by Body & Eastleigh, and 'Stepney's Own Railway - A history of the London & Blackwall System' by J.E.Connor. Something that presented the peculiar history, and the more historical images of the line (there are quite a few here, but perhaps I'm being greedy).

I'll add it to my collection. about halfway down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Jan 2014
P. M. Simpson - See all my reviews
Far too many pictures of the DLR in this book which is supposed to be about the London and Blackwall railway. There are also errors in the text references.

The London & Blackwall Railway: Docklands' First Railway
The London & Blackwall Railway: Docklands' First Railway by John Christopher (Paperback - 13 Sep 2013)
10.49