4.0 out of 5 stars Whodunnit??? Nobody knows!!
Surrounding all the hoo haa about Richard III being found in a Leicestershire car park I found myself drawn to this book as, from what I remember of my history lessons, Richard III was the bad man who killed off his nephews. Wondering if any new light has been shed on this case I took a chance with Wilkinson's book and indeed did learn more.

As other reviewers...
Published 5 months ago by bekibird

3.0 out of 5 stars Who did murder the Princes
Not quite as enjoyable as I thought it would be. Author made a lot of use of quotations written in Olde Englyshe which in my opinion detracted from a straight forward view given on the material collected and researched.
Published 2 months ago by Mary O.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whodunnit??? Nobody knows!!, 20 Feb 2014
bekibird (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Princes in the Tower: Did Richard III Murder His Nephews, Edward V & Richard of York? (Hardcover)

As other reviewers have noted we do not find out what really happened to the boys, but the process of uncovering chronological time lines to understand who was where and doing what at the time was very interesting, as was the fact that contemporary accounts all differ from each other in their explanation of what happened to the young Edward V and his brother The Duke of York.

Were they murdered, were they spirited away abroad, were they drowned, buried under the steps in the Tower of London or were they indeed smothered in their beds?

Being sentimental I would like to think that the path was made clear for Henry VIII to become king and the boys were sent away with the permission of their Mother, but the fact That Richard III did not appear to defend himself from the rumors that he had killed them was very interesting (implicating??).

This book is quite easy to read but could have done with some family trees and perhaps an injection of other pictures to aid the readers understanding. I had to get out a British History book to read alongside this one as I started to become confused as to who was the father of who, who was married to who and what the family links were.

Wilkinson kind of takes it for granted that the reader is well versed in Tudor History but the many mentions of copious family members and even contemporary various other persons was hard to get your head around. Before reading this I had never come across Polydore Vergil, Mancini or any other people casually mentioned in this book and a brief explanation as to who they were would have been useful.

There are also mentions of 'Chronicles' (which I assume are either court circulars or newspapers... I'm not sure) which could have done with a little more explanation as it was unclear as to who was reading these articles and what they were for.

I did like this book and was drawn further into the mystery of the Princes in the Tower. Even though I didn't really expect a huge new fact to have come to light I did feel the last chapter was rushed and Wilkinson's own gut feeling about what had happened to them was missing. It seems she does deal in facts and is quick to rubbish a few that have stood the test of time, but her own real opinion was sadly missing... unless the last line of this book is what she really thought!

All in all a good read, but some help for the less seasoned historian would have been helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good!, 26 Oct 2013
This book is in the format of a series of short essays, covering the main personalities of the drama. The writing style is easy and the book flows very well. The only thing I found a little disappointing is the fact that Wilkinson describes in detail the various theories surrounding the princes in the tower (interesting in themselves)but her own conclusion is rushed into a page or two. This aside, a very good representation of the mystery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystery still unsolved., 30 Dec 2013
Mrs. Christine A. Edwards (Burnley Lancashire) - See all my reviews
Very thorough investigation into the disappearance of the princes. Still not conclusive though. Will we ever know the truth? Probably not.

3.0 out of 5 stars Who did murder the Princes, 28 May 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing more than you already know, 19 May 2014
Julia Hussey "chartley19" (A reader from London, UK) - See all my reviews
But the author gives some plausible ideas of what could have happened to the princes if they survived. She suggests several possibilities. While many still insist that they were murdered, this book is really for those who prefer to have an open mind concerning the fate of the Princes in the Tower. Bear in mind that in those days, there were no cameras, CTTVs,r TVs or computers.yet even today, people have disappeared without trace but could still be living somewhere else with a name change etc so to suggest that the princes must have died because they were not seen again doesn't mean they did not survive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rumours., 15 Dec 2013
In an area of history which is raked over time & again I found the treatment of rumour in this book added an element of novelty.

3.0 out of 5 stars Biographical Interlude, 13 April 2014
Mrs. D. J. Smith "eowyngreenleaf" (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Wilkinson admits that in writing the second part of her biography of Richard III, she became too bogged down with the whole 'princes in the tower' enigma and so chose to pull some of her thoughts together in this book.

Each chapter looks at a different suspect of aspect of the mystery. I've given only three stars not because there was anything particularly wrong with what was written, I think I just expected that Wilkinson had uncovered something new or had a stunning new theory to present! The downside with reading non-fiction books on the Kindle can be that you get to about 75% in and it suddenly ends with the rest of the book being footnotes, bibliography etc.

It is a good and lucid look at the facts and the arguments, so not a bad book, just nothing new and didn't meet the expectations I had formed.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK - but nothing new, 29 Nov 2013
This book is okay, but not really anything new here. Every chapter is dedicated to a character that may have been involved ie Henry VII or Sir James Tyrell. I think this book is really a filler until the author's second book of Richard III is published. Disappointed that there were no pictures in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I finished the book feeling I could have written the book myself but it would be a good intruduction to the subject, 18 July 2014
Prompt service and a well written book but no new revelation as was promised. I finished the book feeling I could have written the book myself but it would be a good intruduction to the subject

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Aug 2014