Format: Hardcover|Change

on 6 July 2013
This is a fascinating account of the decade following the Munich Disaster. The book begins at the moment Jimmy Murphy learns of the air crash in Munich and closes at the celebrations of United's European Cup triumph. Although this period has been covered before, it has never been written about in such detail.
The book's great success is McCartney's narrative style, which makes you feel you are there, reliving the tragedies and the triumphs. It is both a fascinating and enjoyable read. In common with the previous books that I have read by Iain McCartney, the account is built upon extensive research and attention to detail.
I'd recommend this book to United fans young and old, and to anyone who loves football. This is the definitive work on United's rise from the wreckage.
on 21 August 2013
I'd read a couple of Iain McCartney's books before, so I had a reasonable idea of what I'd find here - a very readable, informative and detailed insight into a key part of United's history. Well, I got more than I bargained for. Rising from the Wreckage is a fascinating story of THE era that defines the spirit of Manchester United. The book takes you by the hand and unveils some incredible stories from the aftermath of the crash, through the years when United were assembling the pieces of a new great team and finally to the pinnacle of English and European football. At times you feel you are there in the story, like a silent witness with special access to all areas.

The incredible thing is Iain's research. Thousands of United stories are in the public domain and it would have been easy to simply 'copy and paste' this tale together from previously published sources. Not Iain, he's like a pig with truffles, constantly unearthing intriguing nuggets of information to captivate his reader. The book is littered with first hand accounts from players, staff, supporters and families that gives the story that essential personal touch.

Of course, the topic itself draws you in. The remarkable story of a great team decimated by tragedy, the long, painful rebuilding by Murphy and Busby that resulted in a glittering side with Best, Law, Charlton, Crerand, Stiles etc and fulfilled a broken dream by lifting the European Cup in 1968.

The book is well written and contains a marvellous collection of previously unpublished photographs. I thoroughly enjoyed it. A treat and an education for United supporters and football fans in general.

Well done Iain.
on 13 January 2014
I consider this book to be an excellent publication of all events which occurred between the Munich crash and the lifting of the European Cup for the first time. I must admit that I have met the author and that I made a 4 page contribution to the book but my comments are unbiased. I moved to Manchester 18 months after the crash and soon became a regular supporter and travelled to home games, away games and European games all over Europe, so reading Iain's book is like reading my own personal diary but still finding interesting snippets along the way. The strength of the indepth research carried out by the author is such that for the most part I was there and he was not but I did not find a factual error throughout the book. For anyone who lived through the period between 58 and 68, this is an essential read and I was pleased to see that Iain gave credit to those who deserved it, on the field and off the field. I am referring mainly to Jimmy Murphy who literally rescued the Club and got it back on track. I met Jimmy a few times and his passion for United and football was incomparable, together with Matt Busby and Jack Crompton, those three 'football men' rebuilt United so quickly that within 10 years, the Club won one FA Cup, two League titles and one European Cup, not to mention having three European Players of the Year. I was proud to be supporting the Club in those days and my eternal gratitude to the author for collating all the facts and nuances for my delectation.
on 3 July 2013
As a longstanding Man U fan I was given this as a gift. My dad used to tell me about the Busby Babes and how he loved watching the boys. The period after the disaster was an awful time but out of all the sadness the team rose again. Iain McCartney has captured quite brilliantly the downs then ups in the 10 years that followed as United finally won the European Cup. I would recommend this to not only United fans but to anyone interested in how out of adversity the human spirit can win out.
on 20 April 2014
A great read for any United fan who wants an in depth look at this period in the clubs History.Over 350 pages starting with the Munich air disaster and up to the European cup win in 68 Every season is looked at in detail.A well written informitive book only for United fans though i would suspect.
on 14 January 2015
This was a Christmas present for a friend of ours who loves Man U. He was thrilled with the book and said he will enjoy reading it.
on 24 June 2014
Another fab Father's Day gift from our boys to their daddy! He's just started reading it... So far so good! The legends live on!!
on 4 December 2014
Looks a great book- very heavy reading though with quite small print however.
on 5 August 2015
ALWAYS GOOD TO READ IAN MCCARTNEY ABOUT UNITED
on 17 January 2015
This book was put over my garden fence onto the gravel,good job it did not rain,there was slight damage to the cover but something I feel not worth returning for,not pleased though as I expect a book to be in mint condition