5.0 out of 5 stars Life in 1940s London
For someone who wasn't born at the time this book was set, I found it extremely informative and written in a way that that made me want to keep turning the page; it was never boring.

Published 14 months ago by JB

3.0 out of 5 stars Most of the content is already familiar
Published 2 days ago by Wingate

3.0 out of 5 stars Most of the content is already familiar, 19 Dec 2014
This review is from: Life in 1940s London (Hardcover)
this book is in 2 parts.The first war and the second peace.Many books have already been written about London in wartime and I cannot say that this book added anything to my sum of knowledge.The second part on peace I found disappointing..Having been born after the war I do have some memories of London in the 1940s.Smog,lots of bomb sites,playing in air raid shelters,going to any one of around 13 cinemas within a couple mile radius and of xourse rationing.For me there is no real feel for what it was like ghrowing up in London at that time.The author tends to deal with matters which have already been covered elsewhere such as The Olympics,the royal wedding and the bug freeze.so I found this book to be a bit disappointing.Incidentally he says that 1.5 million a year went to the cinema.It was 1.5 billion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life in 1940s London, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Life in 1940s London (Hardcover)

The chapter I loved most was no. 12 - A London Love Triangle. Heart-rending and yet this storyline must have been played out many times during the war years. I felt this one chapter all on its own could easily be made into a film, although there would have to be a box of tissues handy at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars A most enjoyable and informative book about London in the 1940s, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Life in 1940s London (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book very much, written in a style that is easy to understand, never boring but at the same time very informative. The images used are so evocative of an era that encompassed the Blitz and the American GIs, the criminal underworld of the day, the class system that still prevailed in those times, family life and, best of all, a most poignant love story. It is helped by the personal memories of the author. A must-read for anyone who loves our capital city and is fascinated by this most turbulent decade in its history.

Highly recommended.

Life in 1940s London
Life in 1940s London by Mike Hutton (Hardcover - 6 Sep 2013)