1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Join the dots with the (un)usual suspects, 2 Dec 2011
This review is from: Curious Walks Around London (Paperback)
A nice collection of the odd and quirky. I have been walking London for a while and have a reasonable collection of books on the subject, so in some respects I found this to be a round-up of the usual hidden gems of London that I was aware of (although there were still some surprises). Even so, it is a great addition to my collection as there is a thorough and informative text, and a nice selection of B&W photos and illustrations throughout.

But a few years back, what I now regard as the "usual hidden gems" were things I had never heard of and in that less informed position, this would have been top of my list to get if it had been available at the time. Not only does it bring together a large selection of the unusual, it does so in the context of a series of well thought-out walks so you can get straight out there and see them.

A couple of minor errors lurk within, but I think any book of this nature with so much in it will suffer from that and it does not detract from the whole.

Recommended for anyone who wants to get off the beaten track and seek out the stranger things still to be seen in London.

Curious Walks Around London
Curious Walks Around London by Alan Brooke (Paperback - 1 Feb 2011)
Used & New from: £9.00