4.0 out of 5 stars Nice nostalgia trip for a coeliac
Published 21 months ago by Graham Broomhead

3.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes, expensive ingredients
This recipe book is full of lushous looking food, and the author clearly knows what he's talking about and I'm sure the recipes turn out fantastic. However, I found that the recipes include a large amount of ingredients, some obscure, some expensive. It feels like it is a book for people who eat Gluten-Free that want their food to be exactly the same as Gluten-full food,...
Published 8 months ago by Miss Bethia Evans

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice nostalgia trip for a coeliac, 16 Mar 2013
This review is from: Gluten Free Baking (Love Food) (Hardcover)
I hadn't heard of the author or Love Food books so had no idea what the quality of the book or the recipes would be like. I thought it was worth a try though because it wasn't expensive and it seemed like it could be exactly what I was after: straightforward recipes for a good range of classic breads, pastries and cakes that I'd always eaten but now can't because of coeliac disease. And moreover, recipes that were not unnecessarily dependent on a wide and expensive range of hard-to-come-by ingredients that I would only use occasionally.

The book itself is a really nicely presented book and the recipes cover simple, well-known classics such as lemon meringue pie, gateaus, fruit cakes, chocolate fudge cake, brownies, cookies, doughnuts and profiteroles. To some this may seem a little bit dated and uninspired but it was exactly what I wanted because a good proportion of them are recipes I know I will actually use pretty regularly. The author does make use of a number of specialist flours but these are limited to a few recipes where he has obviously felt it particularly necessary to supplement ready-blended flour mixes. He does say in the book as well that in most cases the recipes that make use of extra ingredients can be made just using ready-blended flour mixes. Generally, if you've got a bag of gluten free flour, some rice flour and maybe some ground almonds, you're pretty much set for the basics in most of the recipes. So far I have made more recipes out of this than other gluten free recipe books I own in a much shorter space of time, so it has already been well worth buying.

The only reason I've given it 4 instead of 5 stars is that when I've made a couple of the recipes I've had to adjust the amounts for some ingredients because I could see that doing exactly as stated clearly wouldn't have worked. I don't know why this was but I wouldn't say it makes it a bad book though. Also, some recipes are a bit too simple even for me, like apple crumble and apple pie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - and it tastes good too!!!, 31 Dec 2012
Patricia A. Herbig (London, England Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gluten Free Baking (Love Food) (Hardcover)
I love to bake and until now, didn't really like the gluten-free recipes I've found in magazines and newspapers. This is a wonderful book. We've made several recipes from it (the carrot cupcakes with cream cheese lime icing are divine) and they all work very well. Next: 'REAL' bread. Onwards and upwards!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Gluten Free Baking Book, 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: Gluten Free Baking (Love Food) (Hardcover)
Found this little gem of a book and all the recipes looked so appetising. Gave it a go have tried 3 recipes so far and you wouldn't know the end result is amazing so tasty you would never believe its all gluten free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good family frirnd, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Gluten Free Baking (Love Food) (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book .I bought this book as so many friends and family have different eating problems .I now have no problem or excuse not to have gluten free food in my store larder when guests arrive, and can be eaten by all I no longer have the problem of baking for different needs and have more time to spend with guests.

5.0 out of 5 stars great recipes, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Gluten Free Baking (Love Food) (Hardcover)
really enjoying baking these recipes
lovely book to work with, illustrations helpful
non gluten free family and friends can not tell the difference

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of recipes, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Gluten Free Baking (Love Food) (Hardcover)
Excellent recipes. Ones we have tries all work and the non gluten members of the family are eating them too

5.0 out of 5 stars I can eat cake again!, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: Gluten Free Baking (Love Food) (Hardcover)
I had almost mastered the baking world and I was suddenly struck down by gluten intolerence. Depressed for a little while (especially since nearly every gluten free cake/biscuit product I've bought taste likes cardboard) I saw this as a new challenge to make the best gluten free cakes ever. So good that no one would be able to tell the difference.

I bought this book as inspiration and the first recipe I tried (Banana and Maple Cream Cupcakes) turned out so good I declared them the best cupcakes I'd ever made. Very sweet, moist and spongy (if ever so slightly denser than a normal cupcake) I have uploaded a photo for you all to see how they turned out.

I want to thank this man for showing me that just because somethings gluten free, doesnt mean it has to taste bad. Cannot wait to make the rest of recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic recipes, from experience!, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Gluten Free Baking (Love Food) (Hardcover)
My mum has coeliac disease, an intolerance to gluten, and my mum has cooked several of these recipes since I bought her the book for Christmas and they are great! When followed properly, with simple instructions and ingredients (no overly fancy tins or expensive ingredients needed), it turns out wonderful, just as good as other baking, if not better!

Definitely recommend for anyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Gluten Free Baking (Love Food) (Hardcover)
My niece who has a gluten intolerance has struggled to find books that contain recipes worth doing as lots have overly fancy ingredients. She loves this book and has already cooked lots of things out of it. A good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recipes were so yummy, I bought two copies!, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Gluten Free Baking (Love Food) (Hardcover)
So far I have made all of the cupcakes for my friends and co-workers. The favourites are the carrot and the banana cupcakes; the frostings may sound like a strange combination but really do compliment the cakes they are designed to go with.
I should also mention that these cakes are so good that no-one has noticed that they are gluten free, some even thought I had bought them!
I highly recommend this cook book based on the recipes I have tried so far. Makes a good gift too!

Gluten Free Baking (Love Food)
Gluten Free Baking (Love Food) by Love Food Editors (Hardcover - 12 Aug 2013)
Used & New from: £8.00