5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Gold Stars KS1 Addition and Subtraction Workbook Age 6-8 (Gold Stars Workbook Packs) (Paperback)
Great

5.0 out of 5 stars Well put together, 5 Aug 2013
F. Bartlett (UK) - See all my reviews
I have a number of these books for my 6 year old boy. He actually quite likes doing them and they support his work at school. They are easy to follow for him and for me as a parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and Fun!, 3 May 2013
Bought this for our son who we took travelling for 6 months, easy to use and follows on for when he gets older, definately buy these for KS2 on beyond as my son has no problem wanting to do the work, getting the stars is a good way to reward!

5.0 out of 5 stars School hols, 16 Jan 2013
This is excellent for keeping them going with their studies during school holidays!!! Fun and informative. Can't recommend it highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practice for maths, 31 July 2013
I bought this for my son who is nearly seven to do in the summer holidays. We have a few other workbook but I wanted something that concentrated on addition and subtraction and was suited to his age.

In the inside of the front cover is a slot containing an orange practice booklet which has one activity per page of the following:-
MAke the totals : three sums of eg 3 +(something )= 10
MAking 12 :five sums where one of the numbers is missing
Take away 5: four pictures of penguins for you to cross out 5 to give the answer.
Missing numbers: again 4 sums with missing numbers nothing higher than 12
Counting on: A number line where the child has to draw the jumps on for 4,3 and 6 and write the answer
COunting back : jumps back
addition upto 20: 9 questions where they have to add numbers, THese ones actually start getting bigger eg: 19+11
Find the difference: 4 sums where it asks you to take the smaller number away from the bigger number
MAking 20: 4 sums with one number given and child needs to add another number to it to make it to 20.
Addition Chains: 11 sums for the child to add.
Repeated addition: three tsets of three numbers that the child has to add together, and two sets of three numbers where the child works out a missing number in each.
Answers at back.
Next is the gold stickers, where you can peel of a gold star to stick in the star at the bottom of each page your child has succesfully completed.

In the main book, sums start on page 4 of 32.
We have the following sections:
Counting on, counting back, making totals,Taking away
number machines (simple addition and subtraction)
Differences, Addition bonds, Quick quiz x2
Adding to 20, Subtraction bonds, take away facts
doubles, Repeated addition, Money totals, Giving change
hidden numbers, Large numbers, Subtract large numbers
Answers

Looking at the sums , they are colourful and mostly laid out well , however I would say that the pages upto 16 are probably more suited for a keen reception or year 1 child, and fairly easy. I am going to try these with my 4 year old whose starting school in september. The rest of the sums are more challenging and what I was looking for to give my son something not too easy to occupy him.
I would have liked more pages but I suppose for the price this book is a good and worthwhile spend of 2. My daughter has some of these gold star books for phonics and early maths and she loves the fact that she gets a star on each page. only problem we find is you get through them rather quick.

2.69