4.0 out of 5 stars HAPPY CHRISTMAS SING ALONG

3.0 out of 5 stars Disney Christmas Sing Along Book
Published 22 months ago by G. Archer

4.0 out of 5 stars HAPPY CHRISTMAS SING ALONG, 7 Nov 2012
Alexander Bryce (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Disney Christmas Sing-Along Book & CD (Disney Singalong) (Board book)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a truly lovely, little book with art work to the expected Disney high standard with accompanying CD. Made of strong cardboard which should withstand young childrens' handling. All the Disney gang are there: Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto etc. etc. A while yet 'till Christmas , but I tried it out on my young grandson and it went down very well. All the words to the songs on the CD are printed on the appropriately illustrated pages so this is ideal for a family, festive sing along. Reduction of one star as some of the songs are American favourites , but not known to us in the UK. No doubt that after several playings they will be familiar and something new is no bad thing.
Merry Christmas to one and all.

1.0 out of 5 stars 10% Disney, 9 Dec 2012
If you're a Disney fan, this isn't for you. The sturdy hardback book features the lyrics of famous and not-so famous Christmas songs accompanied by illustrations of various Disney characters (the central crew - Mickey, Minnie, Donald et al). So far, so good. Each page features these much-loved characters which gives the illusion that the songs will feature them, or at the very least, be Disney-related in some way (after all, you're paying for the Disney brand). However the reality is disappointing. The first song features Mickey and the Gang. The remaining 9 songs feature - who knows? Random voices, made-up lyrics, the type of drivel you find in the bargain bin of Asda. This CD is a grim car journey waiting to happen.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you love an American Christmas, 5 Dec 2012
Ross Boardman "Ross B" (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
All the classics are here and in a very Disney way. Goofy singing Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer puts you straight in the Christmas mood. Santa Claus is coming to town, something else I recognise. After that, lost. All very jolly and lots of Santa, but unless you have the book in your hand, not a lot familiar. As background music, it is infectious.

If you know a real Disney fan then they will love this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Festive CD Fun with Disney, 24 Nov 2012
Mrs. T. Mannell "mannelltoni" (hampshire, england) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a fabulous idea, a book and CD with all the Christmas favourites, ideal for that present opening time, or trips to visit the rellies at Christmas.
Children will love the songs, and the board paged book to go with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Disney Christmas' but still good, 10 Nov 2012
Mr. P. Johnson "Pete Johnson" (Norfolk) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good present for a little one at this festive time. As I am more traditional, I would probably not normally prefer the Disney version, but the songs are well-known, and the characters part of everyday life, so I can't really complain. Compact and useful, good value cover price, you cannot go wrong with this as a gift for a small member of your family. Fifth star deducted because it is Disney, though I confess that is a personal thing, and does not really reflect on the product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disney Christmas Sing Along Book, 1 Nov 2012
G. Archer (Bangor, NI) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am starting to find that when it comes to buying children's sing along books it really is a gamble as to the suitability of the product for specific age groups. The book itself is compact, made of fairly sturdy cardboard and the CD is in an envelope in the inside cover. The words of each of the songs on the CD are covered in the book which is illustrated with various Disney characters in seasonal Christmas backgrounds and actions. There are 10 sing along songs, some well known, others less so, and the musical style varies but, overall, is good for toddlers/young children to dance to and hum or sing along - if they know the words. The book, I would suggest, is of more use for the adult to learn the words, because I suspect by the time a child is capable of reading the contents, they might not be so interested in the music. An ok purchase for a stocking filler but I'm genuinely puzzled about the age of the target audience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsure about the target audience..., 22 Oct 2012
A. Milne "themilnes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm starting to think about Xmas now, and remembered that I'd promised my sons that I'd get them some new Xmas songs this year as their old ones are a bit babyish. They're not hugely into Disney, but I thought I'd give this Sing Along Book and CD a try because Xmas songs are Xmas songs...aren't they?

Probably the first thing to note is that the blurb for this book lists the famous Xmas songs that are on the CD. Quite a few of the others I didn't recognise - not that that's necessarily a bad thing - but don't expect a CD containing nothing but very well known tunes. In fact, here is a listing of all the songs that it contains:
Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
In The Back Of Santa's Sleigh
Pulling Santa's Sleigh
Kris Kringle
The Santa Wrap

It's a bit of a strange mix of songs, if I'm honest. Quite a few of the more traditional Xmas songs are sung very much in a Disney fashion with cute/irritating, (delete as appropriate), squeaky Disney voices playing quite a part which, for me, detracted from the songs somewhat. Then there are a couple of quite old fashioned sounding songs...all mixed in with much more modern songs such as The Santa Wrap.

The book that comes as part of the set is very simple. It's a very sturdy hardback book with thick board pages that would be appropriate for very young children, and yet each page contains very little other than a picture of a Disney character or group of characters and the words to the song. This left me a little confused as to the target audience for this product because a child would have to be a relatively competent reader to read the words and sing along...and yet I think that perhaps the CD will have limited appeal once they're old enough to do this. If it was aimed at younger children then I would have expected more engaging pictures and for the words to play a lesser part.

I gave this CD a test run on my sons, who are old enough to read and sing along and their reaction was mixed. They thought that some of the songs were ok, but they definitely wouldn't bother with the book again and I doubt if they'll ask again for the CD as we get closer to Xmas. I personally would think that this CD would be better for younger children - especially, perhaps, if they're big Disney fans. To be honest, though, I think there are probably many better Xmas CDs out there...and I'd better get my skates on and find one!

Disney Christmas Sing-Along Book & CD (Disney Singalong)