4.0 out of 5 stars A fun look at animals
This is nice non-fiction book for younger children. It's good for Reception or Year One aged children (4-6yrs). it has large illustrations and appeals to children because it compares the animal's bodies to human ones. It's not just a book about animals, it makes children think about their own body too.

My six year old enjoyed me reading it to her, but she...
Published 9 months ago by PD

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun enough but not terribly compelling
This is a nice colourful book which sets out to teach young children how their sense and experience of the world differs from members of the animal kingdom.

It therefore covers a number of areas, noting for example :-

- a dog's sense of smells is "as much as a million times better than ours"
- a giraffe's tongue is long enough to clean...
Published 7 months ago by Peter Bennett

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERWISE: MY BODY, YOUR BODY, 23 Jan 2014
A. Lucas "bookworm" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wonderwise: My Body, Your Body: A book about human and animal bodies (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first book in the series that I have seen, and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase others.

The book is colourful, the illustrations fantastic, the facts interesting and fun - and all aimed at younger primary school age children, who will absolutely enjoy the engaging way the information is presented to them.

I read it together with my son, and he was quoting facts and figures for days after!!

He took it into school with him, and the other children were also really interested, and the teacher asked if she could borrow it for the term!

5.0 out of 5 stars Look At All The Bits!, 16 Jan 2014
M. J. Saxton (Dewsbury, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent book, well illustrated and really engaging for children who are just beginning to do science and animal projects at school.

It has plenty of interesting facts about animals and doesn't just go for the ordinary ones: I liked the Tarsiers and Tenrecs! It contains the sort of info primary school children love to share with parents and friends.

The illustrations are clear and just a bit quirky so you don't feel like you're being presented with science at all.

I would recommend this book for home use, but also as a great resource for school libraries.

4.0 out of 5 stars Body Book, 14 Jan 2014
Rotgut "rotgut" (Warrington UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"All animals live their own special lives with their own special bodies-including us!"
Humans are explicitly treated as a species of animal, and so a part of Nature, in this lively picture book. It features a rather random selection of facts about bodies-human and animal.

Thought provoking for the younger reader with plenty of simple things to do to consider the differences between us and other creatures.

Big, colourful illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 5 Jan 2014
xenofan "xenofan" (Kansas, USA) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing to say about this great non fiction children's book is that the illustrations are stunning. Excellent pencil drawings that add astonishing detail to every fact. It's a book for age range approx 7-10 year olds as it does contain many interesting facts about the child's own body and how that compares with animals. It keeps away from any `naughty' issues which is good for a young independent reader and adds to any child's understanding of how amazing their own bodies and those of other animals they share the planet with are.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun way to think about bodies, 4 Jan 2014
Olivarovich (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My five-year-old loved this one. (three-year-old less interested). It's an interesting take on thinking about the human body - each aspect of the human body (ears, eyes, etc.) has a few animal analogies and facts to spark the little one's interest. And then there are suggested activities at the back in order to extend the learning in the book. Nice touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars engaging, 3 Jan 2014
P. Bradshaw "paulbrad" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"My Body, Your Body" is a great book for young inquisitive minds - in my opinion for 4-6 years olds. I really liked the child-friendly, engaging and thought-provoking text together with the delightful illustrations. I am looking forward to reading some of the other information books in the Wonderwise series - this one has really whetted my appetite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mix of facts and fun, 22 Dec 2013
J. R. Atkinson "Jim Bob" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great book for getting primary school children into different features of animals and why they have certain adaptations and also developing curiosity about the way their own bodies operate. The illustrations are great and the sentences are packed with info but without being too long or convoluted. Being picky (and why I did not give the book 5 stars), I would have liked some photos of the animals in there as well but the illustrations really are excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Body, Your Body, 25 Feb 2014
Curlynob (Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My Body, Your Body is a book designed to make children think about their bodies and their senses and how they compare to other animals It's a book that will engage children by asking them questions and rewarding them with fun facts like "Guess what your biggest muscle is". The answer is your bottom! The illustrations are bright and the text is laid out in fun bite sized facts such as, "Crickets have their ears in their knees!" and "An elephants trunk is both it's nose and it's top lip!". Each double page spread is about a different part of the body from "Take a big sniff!" to "Tickle your ribs". It's the sort of book that works best when you take time to ask your children questions and explore the themes of the book together in your own way. There's even a guide at the front that covers how you might like to go about this and further related activities at the back

5.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative, educational and fun, 24 Feb 2014
bomble "bomble" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My six year-old daughter loves this book. First she enjoyed having it read to her - now she enjoys reading it back to me. The 'factoids' are fun, memorable and appealing to the age-group targeted with this kind of illustrative style, the language matches in terms of reading skill and the quirky layout makes this a great little title to make the most of a child's enthusiasm for the natural world. I shall certainly be looking out for others in the Wonderwise series.

4.0 out of 5 stars fun book, but not for repeat reading, 9 Feb 2014
Ajo "ak" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a fun book comparing human and animal bodies. It contains lots of facts kids will find fascinating - for example a giant squid's eye is as big as a fooball!

My 7 year old enjoyed it though said it's more for little children, so I'd say the age range is 4 to 6.

The main advantage is - it's eductional! It will make kids interested in the animal world!

The main disadvanage of this book is - the kids will not want to read it again, it's a once or twice book. If you want something the children will want to read over and over again go for Guffalo!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›