Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 February 2015
Ruth Warburton's Witch Hunt is the follow-up to Witch Finder, and completes Rosa and Luke's story. A marvellous historical fantasy featuring a society of witchfinders and a council of witches (both of which also feature in Ruth's contemporary witchy series, A Witch in Winter), this episode sees absolutely everyone chasing poor Luke and Rosa. It's impossible to not root for them, whilst also knowing that all those after them (witches and witch hunters both) are not going to give up. Ruth Warburton really ramps up the tension and throws problem after problem at the poor young couple, taking every opportunity to develop them as characters as she goes. I really enjoyed how they developed, despite everything thrown at them and would definitely recommend the series to lovers of witchy and/or historical reads. I found the ending a little more open than I would have liked, and was surprised when I first read it, but on thinking about it, it makes more sense than the alternatives and is entirely true to the characters.
on 7 July 2014
The emotions through this book, just… ah! I thoroughly enjoyed it and I am so pleased to have carried on with the trilogy. The cover is stunning, so bright and magical, the small beautiful illustrations are a brilliant companion to the novel.

Rosa and Luke are on the run from one of the most powerful and wealthiest witches, Rosa's ex-fiance, and a group of Witch Finders who want to kill Luke. So they flee across England in a mad rush to escape with very limited resources, and distinctive features. As time goes on, Rosa and Luke build a relationship that is forbidden and looked down upon. But can you really deny true love?

One of the main focuses in this sequel was the relationship of Luke and Rosa, from the events they had become more mature and their actions to flee became more desperate. However, we were able to explore their personality more, though their relationship did take over the plot a little; they are both strong characters who worked well as a team. I enjoyed how Warburton continued to provide the novel from two perspectives, it gave an insight into the worries of both, but their thoughts and feelings on the same situations.

The plot I felt was fast-paced with lots of edge-of-your-seat moments alongside action and adventure. I was pleased to find the mystery was continued regarding Sebastian's family, especially his mother, as she is still a prominant figure throughout the novel.

This was a brilliant sequel to Witch Finder of which I thoroughly enjoyed, the relationship of a young forbidden couple and a Witch Hunt captured your attention with Witch fighting, mystery and magic.

*Received from Publisher in exchange for an honest review*
on 21 September 2014
Witch Hunt is the second in the series and the sequel to Witch Finder.

With Rosa’s magic diminished and Luke’s injuries, their flight is not an easy one. The hardships they face as they get further from London wear them out. The harshness of the weather matches perfectly the desolation of their feelings and physical health. I loved the naiveté of Rosa and Luke spending the nights together. The feelings are there but I wondered if their differences would ever let them drop their guard.

An unexpected confrontation has them heading for Scotland. One brief period of respite before Luke makes one stupid mistake and the resultant betrayal causes more tension and darkness.

I thought Witch Hunt followed through with authenticity of the time it’s set, tenseness and excitement. Unexpected allegiances, unexpected loyalties (as well as the betrayals), grief and sadness. A couple of truths are uncovered - truths I didn’t guess at (I love that I hadn’t figured out these possibilities).

I know that the characters made the right choices and although I have read that this is the final in the series (for the moment), there’s more to be explored …

Witch Hunt is an exciting adventure that I think readers of magic/fantasy of all ages will enjoy!

I would like to thank the publishers for providing a paperback copy in exchange for an honest review.
on 22 July 2014
Well this book takes off running from the get go as it's picks up directly after the end of the first book Witch Finder.

After the explosive final scenes of Witch Finder I was so keen to find out where the story would go next and what I found was a natural progression to Luke and Rosa's tale. They are on the run and desperate to gain some sort of life and future for themselves and it is completely impossible not to find yourself rooting for them whole-heartedly. They are being hunted for witchcraft, hunted for betrayal, hunted for possession and you feel every inch of their sense of despair and the urgency they feel for freedom.

As the couple fight to stay hidden and survive we get to experience their feeling as they begin to realise exactly how deep the feeling run for each other and it's a beautiful thing to witness as both are unsure of how they feel and don't seem to realise how deeply the other feels for them either, the realisation comes gradually but so sweetly. Who would have thought a witch hunter could fall for a witch?

What is there to love about this book?
I loved everything about the book, the romantic side of things is brought much more to the forefront in this book but it's not as in your face as it could have been and I was grateful for that as it allowed other aspects of the book to come through. The romance is bitter-sweet to witness and beautifully treated and we have a new twist to the tale with a possible sting where Luke now has his suspicions about Rosa's former fiancé Sebastian and his parents murder.

Was there anything not so good?
No really the only niggle I have still is the whole 'who would have thought a witch finder would fall for a witch thing' but I think I've spent far too much time with a certain vampire slayer who was in love with a vampire that it's made it all a bit 'well of course they'd fall for each other, that's the way it goes'..... if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, it works but it's written as if it would never happen but head knows it will ALWAYS happen.

Was it an interesting read?
Very, although it doesn't quite have the same period feel as the last book but I think that is because the actions moves away from London into the countryside and I actually missed the feel you got of the time period, it felt more like it could all be happening in the now rather than being identifiable as the past. The story itself is growing quickly but there is still enough mystery, enough secrets to the tale to keep you completely enthralled throughout.

Was it enjoyable to read?
It was, again as the last book was the story is so engaging that you need to keep on turning the page t find out what happens next. The tale doesn't let up it's tight grip on the reader and the twists and turns are beautifully put together that you can't hep yourself. Pure escapism and a joy to read.

Was it a well written book?
Very, as everything I've said before should go to proof, this is a wonderfully thought and immaculately put together tale of love against adversity, how love can conquer all, how the bad will never overthrow the good. After two books I am now a complete fan of Ruth Warburton's books and I'm now going to get her other series of books about witches (which I believe is set in the present but has links to the Witch Finder books) as she has completely won me over with her style and pace. It's a great, great book.

Would you recommend it to others?
Most certainly, if you love YA books about witches then you should give these a go as they are really worth the read and I have been thoroughly entertained by them...... so gutted that this is the final book in this series and how I wish there was more to come but as Ruth has said (to me via Twitter) she likes an open ending!

This review has been shortened to remove spoilers but the full review is available on my blog, Gizzimomo Book Shelf.
on 19 September 2014
Another brilliant novel by Ruth Warburton. I wont say to much because of spoilers but as far as books go this is brilliant and a refreshing change to alot ive red
on 22 August 2014
Really great book enjoyed every page :)
All the characters from icy Sebastian to fiery Rosa were done superbly and I really hope there is a third book!
on 1 September 2015
A really engaging book keeps you hooked until the very last page. A brilliant writer weaving such a beautiful but yet incredible piece of work.
on 22 July 2015
Loved the story but was a little dissapointed with the end of the seires but thats probably because it's not how I imagined it would end.
on 25 August 2014
Love love love so much
So gripping just wish there was a third book so I could know what happens next
on 22 March 2016
Second book as good as the first