5.0 out of 5 stars Great book
As usual this book is great, if you liked the previous collection then you will love this one as usual Damon is his delightful charming self !!!!!! ;)
Published 18 months ago by Dee

3.0 out of 5 stars An improvement on Phantom but can't match LJ Smith's work.
I wasn't sure if I was going to read this after the awful Phantom but curiosity got the better of me and I really want to know how it's all going to end!

Published on 12 Mar 2012 by glamourpuss

3.0 out of 5 stars An improvement on Phantom but can't match LJ Smith's work., 12 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 9: Moonsong: 2/3 (Paperback)

We all know the writer isn't LJ Smith anymore so I'll try and be objective about the storyline. Moonsong was an improvement and the plot was more interesting. The book did keep me entertained and I felt there was better continuity with regard to the characters of Bonnie, Matt and Meredith. However the ghostwriters just cannot portray Damon right at all. None of the wit or humour that were present in the original books. The love triangle was definitely less convincing and the references to Stefan being Elena's 'true love if she had to choose' really got on my nerves.
I think it was very clear by the end of Midnight that she was really clueless who she would choose and that the tide was turning in favour of Damon.
Leaving aside the fact that this is a reasonable story if the book was taken in isolation - I agree with one of the other reviewers that the whole point is that LJ Smith knew how the books were going to end and there are clues throughout the previous books who Elena would choose. These new books seem to be a huge contradiction to this. It is ridiculous that LJ Smith has not been allowed to finish her own creation and I cannot imagine why the powers that be think a Stefan/Elena end is going to please fans of this series.
I can enjoy these books as they are but to die hard LJ Smith fans they are best avoided. The best way to sum it all up is that I feel 'cheated' we are not getting the ending that was planned and that we are missing out on the original authors superior story telling abilities.

2.0 out of 5 stars lacking, boring, 20 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 9: Moonsong: 2/3 (Paperback)
I have read every book in The Vampire Diaries series and have been awaiting this one for weeks now but i seriously wish i hadnt bothered. It has none of the suspense, drama and under lying passion of the rest of the series. I am so dissapointed with the "ghost writer" how can any body else write like L J Smith these are her books so she should be able to write them the way she chooses.
I was wary when i found out it was a ghost writer but decided to give it a go however Im not sure i will read any more it has seriously ruined the pleasure i got from the vampire diaries.
Final word, its boring slow and very child like its almost like reading one of the books my 7 year old gets sent home with.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slight improvement, 5 April 2012
I was reluctant to read this latest installment as I was pretty disappointed with Phantom, but I was pleasantly sup prised with moon song, it gripped me pretty much from the first chapter & made me want to keep reading. Although the ghost writer has kept a good continuity of most of the main characters such as Meradith & Bonnie they just don't seen to be able to grasp Stefan & Damon like L J Smith. The ghost writer is unusable to convey the passion & love between Elaina & Stefan so just uses a lot of repetition to get their point across. Damon, instead of being his quick witted, sarcastic yet smooth self now comes across as a cheesy silent movies villain twisting his moustache. L J smiths Damon wouldn't be seen undead saying darling or princess!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not my favourite., 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 9: Moonsong: 2/3 (Paperback)
Nowhere near as strong as the first seven books! Although that's probably down to the three Hunters section of this series being written by a ghost writer, total let down man!

I just feel as if I couldn't connected to this book and the previous one as much as the others, it wasn't exciting enough to hold my attention and think wow, I wonder what's going to happen in the end. I was just a bit like, oh right, well I'll guess I'll just wait 'till the next book comes out now I've finished this one -_-

I didn't really have anything against the plot, just not a strong enough book for me personally as I was totally in love with the first seven in the series and was hoping it would raise to the challenge, but apparently not.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure what to write as a title for this...., 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 9: Moonsong: 2/3 (Paperback)
As an avid reader of the Vampire Diaries series, I have been following them for quite some time. I have mixed feelings about this book and let me start off by saying I do not hate nor dislike this series, HOWEVER I do feel that it has run on way too long.

Reading this I assume most if not all of you have read book 8 "Phantom" and are wondering whether to buy this book or perhaps you're curious as to what people make of it.

It is a decent book, the writing style is true to the others but here are my issues:

1. The series has gone on for too long, the story lines are beginning to fall flat as they are on repeat of the ones that have already been written just changed up a little.
2. Damon isn't really Damon anymore, he's more like a happy bunny rabbit skipping along down a path of golden sunshine, he isn't dangerous, mysterious, nasty Damon we all were shocked by and fell in love with.
3. Elena. She has turned into a greedy, needy, ignorant young lady with her selfishness of the way she treats Bonnie, the ignorance she displays to Damon's feels, the lack of care she has shown to Stefan and you can really see in this book he is starting to get fed up with it, Damon seemed slightly distant to her, but only slightly.
4. It's a repeat, same stuff as before just with a few things flipped about.
5. It is no longer the Vampire Diaries, it's not their high school, it's not Fells Church, it's not really the same characters they suddenly changed so much. When I read it I feel like I'm reading some unknown book with familiar character names.
6. What happened to Bonnie being a witch? Throughout this book you see only one or two inklings of her being a witch, when she is chanting minorly towards the end and when she tells someone she is a witch. No visions, spells, no nothing.
7. I feel a loss of connection between myself and what used to be wonderful books.
8. I don't think the author really cares any more, I don't get the impression she invested any real time or thought into this story at all.
9. The book is considerably thinner than the previous ones. Why? Because she is running out of stories to tell, yet she has book 13 coming out in May.
10. I won't give details of the ending so I don't spoil it for you but it really was a shoddy ending to say the least. I feel like the author is just looking for money and to have something ITV can base their TV show on. There was no cliffhanger, no shocker of an end, nothing exciting like in the earlier books. I felt weak reading it.

It is probably going to take me some time to gather the strength to read book 10 but I will get there eventually. Judging by other people's reviews they seem to be feeling neutral or less about this book and I can honestly say that this series has fallen flat, it is done and over with. You don't even get a time frame other than "College starting" how many days, weeks, months has passed. No change in weather, no nothing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unrealistic, 10 July 2012
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 9: Moonsong: 2/3 (Paperback)
I can't say how disappointed I was with this book, comparing this to LJ Smith's last book "Midnight", this lacks awfully in comparison. The main love triangle is now so unrealistic as it was clear from Midnight that Damon would be Elena's choice if she HAD to choose, whereas now it's written that Stefan is Elena's true love. Very unrealistic, and so forced after the beautiful scenes in midnight. There was a small improvement from Phantom, which was terribly written with all characters very badly portrayed, but this book was still such a disappointment as the ghost writer just doesn't understand or write Damon's great character as well as LJ Smith ever did. His humour and sarkiness pales in comparison which is a severe disappointment. If the publishers were sensible they would cancel any further releases of the Vampire Diaries books and let LJ Smith continue writing them, because they are making a fool of themselves with these new 'ghostwriter' books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Reads like Twilight, 18 Sep 2014
This author has literally gone and ruined this series. The first 4 books were great and all these extra series are ruining the franchise. Elena chose Stefan, Damon had his eye on Bonnie, Meredith was HUMAN and now LJS has seen twi-crap and decided tosee just how unrealistic she could make these books before everyone stops buying.

She -along with Suzanne Collins -were the only two authors I felt could write proper love-triangles but with all of Elenas flip-flopping is turning her into just another Mary-Sue.

As for Meredith and being a 'demon'-hunter with kitten vampire teeth? Just another useless character development for no apparent reason. What if the brothers never came to Fells church? Would she be one? Of course not. It is pathetic!

Bonnie seems to be the only person who has stayed true to her original character in the first 4 books though more girly than I remember.

2.0 out of 5 stars WRITTEN BY A GHOSTWRITER...NO THANKS, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries: 9: Moonsong: 2/3 (Paperback)
Any book from and including phantom was not actually written by L.J Smith and you can totally tell. It lacks the spice and the natural goodness you'd except from L.J smith novels. I didnt actually realise she didnt write it until i finished it. The book itself isn't bad, but it is far from great too.I feel it's disrespectful to continue to continue selling the Vampire Diaries series when the original authour didnt write it. I dont think i'm going to buy/ read anymore from now on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lacks personality and imagination., 5 May 2013
Steve (Stranraer, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I'm afraid for me, I find the chatacters totally lack the personality they had at L.J.Smith's hand. There are also some rather large discrepancies that true fans who have read the series will notice, and this is quite annoying. Please just hand the pen back to the original writer, because these books are no longer worth reading. They lack the imagination and addiction. It is a shame, as I think L.J. Smith could have brought these books to life.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slight improvement, 17 Mar 2013
Lacking in depth still but an improvement. I struggle to connect to the characters and the story no longer draws you in. Something is missing...the ghost writer does not seem to be able to grab you and stuck you into their world as l j Smith was able to do.

The Vampire Diaries: 9: Moonsong: 2/3
The Vampire Diaries: 9: Moonsong: 2/3 by L J Smith (Paperback - 1 Mar 2012)